Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] Good GOOD horror/monster movies.

aaahw? Noone?

---------- Post added 2011-11-21 at 07:25 PM ----------

great thanks due my computer I facked up my own thread.... anyways!

My question was if anyone knows a good horror or monster movie! Today I watched "the mist" and it leaves me hungry for more :P
    Last edited by Kroqgar; 2011-11-21 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like slasher movies like Halloween and Friday the 13th, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is worth checking out. I thought it was really good.

The best "monster" movies in recent memories as far as creature design are Attack the Block and Monsters. Both of them have more of a Sci-Fi tone, but I can't think of any decent horror movies to match your description that has come out in the last few years.

Deleted
    There is the Low budget Film Monsters, which actually doesn't have many monsters in it, But its somewhat interesting if you like watching Travels shows.

The Host a SK film if you can handle the subs in very good.

Gloverfield- Great idea just ruined by the script, actors and the Director.

Super 8 - Read Comments from cloverfield.

TrollHunter - Not Bad not bad at all, its in Norwegian, But there is a English dubbed Version, Nice little watch though.

Deep Rising its a little dated now from 1997 but its a cheesy and kinda good monster film, worth a watch

But Mist is a good movie so finding something as good might be a little hard...
    Last edited by mmocae06178e2b; 2011-11-21 at 09:52 PM.

The Thing 1982, or the original Halloween.
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    28 Days Later

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MorTvicR View Post
    Gloverfield- Great idea just ruined by the script, actors and the Director.
    Is that where Danny Glover attacks New York?

Actually, I was going to say Cloverfield too. A lot of people dislike it, but I thought it was pretty good, especially for the "found-footage" genre. I didn't care much for Super 8, although when I was a kid it probably would have been the best thing in the world.

Check out "The Thing". The original one first. It's an all-time classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Super 8 was just meh. I a lot of my friends liked it a lot, but I just thought it was too predictable and such to be enjoyable for me.

Deleted
    I recommend The Thing and Deep Rising, the latter being the better.

Deleted
    I'd recommend The Descent ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/ ). Really good, and it has a lot of suspense.

To the people recommending The Thing, there's 3 versions. The original was a black and white movie from the 50's, and I'm pretty sure that's NOT the one you're referring to when you say the "original version". It's an enjoyable enough movie if you like "old school" 50's era sci-fi though. Then there's the '80's version by John Carpenter, which is excellent, then there's the new one, whih is a prequel to Carpenter's version(and I haven't seen the prequel so I cannot comment). Carpenter's version is essential viewing.

Alien, Aliens, and Predator are must-see, though I imagine you already have.

On the subject of old school black and white 50's sci-fi monster movies, if you haven't seen The Beast From 20000 Fathoms, you simply must. You can get it on a $5 two pack with Them!(about giant ants, and is fairly atmospheric and creepy for the first half of the movie or so and also worth watching) so it shouldn't be too hard to find. The Giant Behemoth is another notable monster movie from this era.

Also, you can't have a monster movie thread without mentioning Tremors...you just can't. It has a lot of humor, but it's an immensely entertaining movie.

Also, if you want monsters, try Japan. Godzilla, Rodan, Gamera, Mothra...the quality varies greatly, but the original Godzilla/Gojira is a must-see, the original Rodan is surprisingly good, and most of the Godzilla movies released in the 90's(starting with Godzilla vs Biollante and going through Godzilla vs Destroyer) are actually pretty well made and enjoyable monster movies. The Gamera, Guardian of the Universe trilogy from the same time period is also pretty good. The older ones are cheesy but still fun-Ghidrah the 3 Headed Monster, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and Destroy All Monsters being some of the more fun in the series. Try to find them subtitled, if you can.

Also, some of the old school Ray Harryhausen "sword and sandal" movies feature a lot of pretty cool monsters in them...Jason and the Argonauts and Golden Voyage of Sinbad being recommended.

Someone else mentioned The Host, from South Korea. That's another one worth watching, if you don't mind subs.

If you're looking for more traditional "horror"(slashers, zombies, vampires, etc)...I can give you a list of well over a hundred, easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    The first Resident Evil, 28 Days later, Dawn of the Dead, they're all pretty good zombie movies.

Insidious is actually pretty decent if you just want a plain horror movie (i.e. ghosts and demons), it kinda dropped the ball with the plot in the second half of the movie but on the overall I found it to be one of the better scares I've had (those damned creepy doll people).

Anybody remember that crap movie Quarantine? It was a Hollywood remake of an amazing Spanish film called Rec from 2007. It scared the shit out of me and I'm too old to be scared of movies like that. Guillermo Del Toro's Cronos from 1993 is worth watching a few times. The recent remake/prequel of The Thing was very well done, despite what some Carpenter fanboys might tell you. And as somebody mentioned The Host is a very good monster movie.

i enjoyed cloverfield for the general plot and such, but as said the cast and script was crap, hopefully they can pull off a good sequel(which in todays movie industry most likely wont happen )
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Cloverfield was a lot neater than people give it credit for.

Universal's monster movies are Skelington's favorites: Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Creature From the Black Lagoon, The Mummy, Invisible Man, Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Hunchback of Notre Dame...
    All of their films. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Monsters

Most horror or sci-fi movies from early black and white to early color eras, really. Skelington loves those, and recommends them.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2011-11-25 at 04:18 AM.

Kazam, Drag Me To Hell (for great lulz), all the old Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies, It, House of 1,000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, at least the first couple of Saw movies (I haven't watched any after the first couple), and... several zombie movies whose names are escaping me at the moment. Then a handful of other horror movies I enjoyed.

Sorry but the only really good movie i've seen here is The thing...

Anyway try these : Braindead

EVIL DEAD all of them

The dead Next door

Hellraiser the first one

The shining

the first poltergeist if i remenber is decent

Quote Originally Posted by Ewe View Post
    I'd recommend The Descent ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/ ). Really good, and it has a lot of suspense.
    Ah yea! That was a great one.
    The Descent

House ding dong you're dead , i watched this when i was really young it may be fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShitShyShoes View Post
    Ah yea! That was a great one.
    The Descent
    Yep!

And one more thing: watch the movie with the UK ending, not the American one. The UK ending is much more fitting for a horror movie.