Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    authenticators are next to worthless now that you dont have to enter the code on every login.
    almost as worthless as the dialin authenticator.
    I used to use a self compiled copy of winauth but theres little reason to anymore with blizzards security change
    You seem to not understand how that system works... You only don't have to put in the code if you are logging in from the same IP address that you put the code in last time it asked, if someone gets your PW and attempts to log in from any location other than the computer you put the code into the last time it WILL ask for the code, no matter what. It is still just as secure as it has ever been.

To the OP: Don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about, get an authenticator. They are free if you have any smartphone or an Ipod touch.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2011-11-23 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    authenticators are next to worthless now that you dont have to enter the code on every login.
    almost as worthless as the dialin authenticator.
    I used to use a self compiled copy of winauth but theres little reason to anymore with blizzards security change
    What is up with the spread of false information? The authenticator is still just as secure. It tracks your IP on login so if someone were to somehow get your username, password, and the current authenticator code they would have to log in from your IP. I'm sure there is something in place that identifies your hardware as well for those sharing IPs.

So explain to me how they are worthless now? Winauth is far less secure than the mobile authenticator or physical variation since it's open-souce and you have to actually go through the code to make sure it's safe...

The authenticator is still the best way to secure your account after following basic internet security protocols (i.e using a strong/unique password, having an active resident scanner, not clicking on fishy links, etc).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    You seem to not understand how that system works... You only don't have to put in the code if you are logging in from the same IP address that you put the code in last time it asked, if someone gets your PW and attempts to log in from any location other than the computer you put the code into the last time it WILL ask for the code, no matter what. It is still just as secure as it has ever been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjamoo View Post
    What is up with the spread of false information? The authenticator is still just as secure. It tracks your IP on login so if someone were to somehow get your username, password, and the current authenticator code they would have to log in from your IP. I'm sure there is something in place that identifies your hardware as well for those sharing IPs.
    It actually has very little to do with IP. It's a registry hash. Next time you install/uninstall a piece of software that touches the registry, log into WoW. Odds are, you're prompted for your password.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    It actually has very little to do with IP. It's a registry hash. Next time you install/uninstall a piece of software that touches the registry, log into WoW. Odds are, you're prompted for your password.
    How does it work on OS X? OS X has no registry.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I don't think this is accurate. Regardless of what I do, i don't have to enter my authenticator code until my router resets (giving me a new IP) once every 24 hours. Curious to see where you read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjamoo View Post
    I don't think this is accurate. Regardless of what I do, i don't have to enter my authenticator code until my router resets (giving me a new IP) once every 24 hours. Curious to see where you read this.
    It's accurate. I don't know if the registry hash is the only way they track your login locations, but it is certainly one way.

Showing you how to remove the key. I've done it several times on several Windows machines and it does prompt for the Authenticator key after every edit.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...905?page=6#117

A quicker way to delete the registry entry
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2226155929

How does it work on OS X? OS X has no registry.
    It's stored in a preference file.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721384291#7

Regardless of how Blizzard tracks your login location, there's still no reason not to have an Authenticator attached to your account.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superfula View Post
    It's stored in a preference file.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721384291#7

Regardless of how Blizzard tracks your login location, there's still no reason not to have an Authenticator attached to your account.
    Derp, I should've know it would be in a preference file if they used the registery in windows.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Interesting, I stand corrected. Thanks for the links, much appreciated