Skills and abilities

I've been doing some research on GW2, so far I'm really looking forward to it. But there was some info I couldn't get my hands on regarding weapon swapping for the 5 primary skills and the swapping between the 5 secondary (utility) skills.

As far as I know you get 5(?) primary skills depending on what weapon you're wielding and then you get 5 secondary skills you pick BUT you can pick other secondary skills at any time?

I'll try to make the question easy, can I pick ANY of my weapons and secondary skills at any time with hotkeys or do I have to click and pick only 5 abilities for a fight? And could I change my line up during combat? If there was something I liked about world of warcraft was that I could do anything with a hotkey and I really hate having to communicate with my abilities or UI through clicking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaggah View Post
    I've been doing some research on GW2, so far I'm really looking forward to it. But there was some info I couldn't get my hands on regarding weapon swapping for the 5 primary skills and the swapping between the 5 secondary (utility) skills.

As far as I know you get 5(?) primary skills depending on what weapon you're wielding and then you get 5 secondary skills you pick BUT you can pick other secondary skills at any time?

I'll try to make the question easy, can I pick ANY of my weapons and secondary skills at any time with hotkeys or do I have to click and pick only 5 abilities for a fight? And could I change my line up during combat? If there was something I liked about world of warcraft was that I could do anything with a hotkey and I really hate having to communicate with my abilities or UI through clicking
    Ok, so you get 5 weapon skills, 1 healing skill, 3 utility skills, and 1 elite skill. Your elite, healing, and elite skill are chosen by you and can mix and match them however you want. You can change utility skills whenever you want OUTSIDE COMBAT. As for weapon skills most classes can wield 2 weapon sets and can swap between them whenever they want including in combat. Some exceptions are the engineer at the elementalist who have 1 weapon set an can swap their first 5 skills through weapon kits, and attunementa respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

It's also worth mentioning that for every profession in GW2 your question has a different answer. Generally speaking though you'll want to set up weapon skills before fighting if you plan on using certain weapons in combat. Always best to come prepared than have to click through your skills on the bar and bring em up. **as far as I know**

Alright, so if I get this right I can only switch between 2 weapon sets I chose before combat but can change those 2 weapon sets as I wish outside combat
    And my 5 secondary skills is the same, can only change them outside combat

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

And going warrior by the looks of it. If that changes anything

Deleted
    Tried to link you an URL but it's lame that MMO-champion doesn't allow you to until you have posted a few posts, it's meh, and I'm a little bit too tired to explain it all, but i'll do it anyway.

Your first 5 skills are weapon skills, If you equip 2H, all your 5 skills to the left will be 2H Weapon skills, if you equip for example, a Sword and Shield, the 3 of them will be sword skills, the 2 other ones will be shield skills.

Your weapons can swap when in combat, so a Warrior for example can go from Sword & Shield to Longbow, Melee to Ranged in an instant, every class can go ranged and melee.

The 5 skills to the right, are utility skills, those can be changed out of combat to give you different benefits, like a skill that gives you and your party a swift speed boost for a couple of seconds, and such, or a healing ability for yourself.

search "skill tool gw2" in google, I tried to link but I can't do it either (it's the first link)
    you can create your own builds

1.) choose a profession
    2.) choose a mainhand and offhandweapon (or a 2handed weapon)
    3.) klick on the right skills to open a list with all the utilities, heals and elites

there will be more too

10+ Year Old Account
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggah View Post
    Alright, so if I get this right I can only switch between 2 weapon sets I chose before combat but can change those 2 weapon sets as I wish outside combat
    And my 5 secondary skills is the same, can only change them outside combat

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

And going warrior by the looks of it. If that changes anything
    Can swap between 2 weapon sets in & out of combat. The other 5 skills: 1 heal, 1 elite & 3 utility are swappable out of combat freely.

10+ Year Old Account
    step one: select a weapon for weapon set 1
    step 2: select a weapon for weapon set 2 (unless ele or engi)
    step 3: select a healing skill to be available no matter what weapon set you have
    step 4: pick 3 utility skill available no matter what weapon set you have equipped
    step 5: pick elite skill available no matter what weapon set you have equipped

step 6: pick underwater weapon

you can switch between weapon set 1 and 2 during combat, but cant change the actual weapon in that weapon slot. this will change the first 5 skills but not the last 5. environmental weapons will change the first 5 skills (but not necessarily give you 5 different skills)
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Out of combat you can freely shift your weapons as well. So as a warrior for one fight you might have Sword and Board + Great Sword, and another Axe and Warhorn + Longbow. As an example.

To make full use of your abilities in game I'd say you'll always want one of each weapons your class can use with you so that you can easily switch when needed. For higher difficulty level content at least.