Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    No.. No more WoW clones please. Also I invite you to try to program any game from the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series and not have a couple of bugs. I'm a game programmer by profession and I invite anyone to try to program a game so big as Skyrim and have it ship with no bugs. Go ahead. I'll be waiting to see it.

Edit: leaving the thread after this post but I'll just close by saying enjoy the game for what it is. Don't scream for more when you get over 300 hours of content for 60$.
    Good job missing the point, he's not attacking TES games for being buggy, but pointing out because they are buggy they wouldn't translate to an MMO where bugs and imbalanced skills are a major problem in an MMO or any game with interaction/competition with other player is happening.

Also challenging someone to program a game themselves which had multiple programmers and years to work because they said it had bugs?...Really? Put down your shield already...

I'd love to see an MMO Elder Scrolls game, but we'll never see it since Bethesda has always stuck with the philosophy of just making an exceptionally good solo RPG game, which they have done many times over since the mid-90s. Being a solo game, it has its pros over WoW:

Pros:

- no boring repetitive dailies
    - no "replace-all-your-obsolete-loot grinding" or "new faction" grinding every time a new major patch/expansion comes out
    - play when you want without worrying about schedule conflicts with guildies
    - no nerfs to my class due to PvP (I was primarily a PVE raider so that was always really annoying)
    - no forced talent respecs or forced drastic alterations to my play style (going from a healer pre-Cata to Cata was a horrible experience due to the changes)
    - no loot drama
    - no teaming up with annoying people in LFD
    - way better graphics

Cons:

- the Skyrim world does feel really lonely after playing WoW for many years, I quit WoW a few months ago (I didn't really enjoy Cataclsym end game and I got tired of the same old routine, grinding to replace all my gear and get rep with a new faction every major patch, doing dailies, etc.).
    I do however really miss the raids, guild chat and surprisingly even stupid conversations in the general/trade channels when I play Skyrim.
    Last edited by necromus; 2011-12-15 at 07:07 PM.

Deleted
    I've got a skyrim mmo for you. Its called swtor, combat is a bit different though. Think of it as playing skyrim with dragon age people. + lightsabers.

So instead of being the dragonborn that saved Skyrim, you want to be a nameless grunt that helped the dragonborn but never is credited for the achievement in a Skyrim mmo?

No please, Skyrim hype is unbearable enough as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off the top of my head, barring the use of mods and the many glitches in the game, the only gameplay problem I could see is that fact that since everything in TES games is supposed to be about freewill and junk, that my character would never be safe unless logged out. Yay people sneaking around one shotting me with their 300 weapon damage Daedric bow from a mile away. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by zaoly View Post
    So instead of being the dragonborn that saved Skyrim, you want to be a nameless grunt that helped the dragonborn but never is credited for the achievement in a Skyrim mmo?
    You get to be the one who takes the arrow to the knee. And the final boss of the game will be the nameless monster who's shooting everyone in the knee. I think he's a bigger bad than Alduin and Mehrunes Dagon combined.

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Nah. Don't make it into an MMO, just give it a Read Dead Redemption / GTA IV style multiplayer. Free-roam MP all the way.
    Agree with this completely. The game is too open to be compartmentalized by today's MMORPG standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I don't particularly like the idea of an Elder Scrolls-like MMO. I would like Elder Scrolls games to have a co-op option or possibly up to 4 players at a time because it would be fun to play with a friend or 3, but I don't want the game soiled with trade chat spam and trolls.

Deleted
    Personally, I hope the series never enters MMO territory, for the charm of the games themselves is in the immersion and that is pretty much impossible to find with a bunch of players screaming 'WTS FLAWLESS RUBY 50 SEPTIMS'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some people are focusing to much on the fact that it's Skyrim. I believe the OP is asking if a game with the qualities, lore, free roam aspect, etc, would make a good MMO, not, "Skyrim should be mmo lol". I could be wrong though. (Myself included)

I really don't want a TES mmo, the beauty of it is having your own adventure.

What makes Skyrim good is the RPG elements that you can't get in MMOs. RPG was the first that was, and then companies made MMORPGs, because playing with other people and friends in a giant world was a great idea. The loss for making a MMORPG is, that you can't make it as dynamic and centered around one player as RPGs, since quests and important people would be killed left and right. MMORPGs tries to preserve as much dynamic as they can while keeping it a MMO, which games like GW2 shows good examples of with their Dynamic Events.

Deleted
    If done right it would be great but I don't think this is even possible unless they come up with some new clever way to do it that hasn't previously been done.

My point is that eventually it will be money > gameplay and they'll ruin it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    www.skyrimmp.com

Looks like someone is working on a co-op mod.
    Holyshitballs! I hope they do it well.

It'd be a great idea to take the series, but if they tried to make it anything at all like a traditional MMORPG, it'd fail miserably. Imagine a world where players fill the role of NPCs instead of having a bunch of fake characters stuck in routines. Making everybody a hero would kill the game outright.

Hah... MMO? No. Fuck no.

Co-op functionality? Yeah, that would be a really good idea actually.

As others have said, an MMO might not be the greatest, but co-op in an Elder Scrolls game would be pretty cool if you ask me.

Small scale multiplayer that allows the use of mods? Yes.

MMO? Imagine playing any elder scrolls game without mods. No thanks.

Deleted
    people have beat me to it its elder scrolls not skyrim skyrim is but 1 country in a continent on a planet... anyway multiplayer in these games doesnt belong they have already messed up ther game design enough with skyrim but to make an mmo would be painful to watch

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zaoly View Post
    yeah actually i would rather that the fact you are "dragonborn" in skyrim is a real pain lore wise every dragonborn has been good and pure and a hero not a memeber of the theives guild or the dark brotherhood... also being dragonborn in cyrodill pretty much gives you exsclusive rites to the throne but because you can be any sex or race good or evil with a unique name you will dissapear out of the history books its not a clever play by bethesda at all not that i dont love skyrim its excellent but dragonborn means a lot more than being the nerevarine the nerevarine can dissapear but being dragonborn linked to the great tiber septim or the deep uriel septim you cant just vanish. multiplayer in elderscroll would kill it. being a the friend of the protagonist like in oblivion allows you to do or be who you want and vanish at the end the nerevarine was never an important character in the history of the world and you werent in a world as advanced as the rest of cyrodill you could be who you wanted when you wanted dragonborn however you have a duty to be an imperial or nord and to be good and true

Quote Originally Posted by strombae View Post

yeah actually i would rather that the fact you are "dragonborn" in skyrim is a real pain lore wise every dragonborn has been good and pure and a hero not a memeber of the theives guild or the dark brotherhood... also being dragonborn in cyrodill pretty much gives you exsclusive rites to the throne but because you can be any sex or race good or evil with a unique name you will dissapear out of the history books its not a clever play by bethesda at all not that i dont love skyrim its excellent but dragonborn means a lot more than being the nerevarine the nerevarine can dissapear but being dragonborn linked to the great tiber septim or the deep uriel septim you cant just vanish. multiplayer in elderscroll would kill it. being a the friend of the protagonist like in oblivion allows you to do or be who you want and vanish at the end the nerevarine was never an important character in the history of the world and you werent in a world as advanced as the rest of cyrodill you could be who you wanted when you wanted dragonborn however you have a duty to be an imperial or nord and to be good and true
    ...What?

I'm not sure I get it, you don't like being dragonborn because you should be heir to a throne in another land, even if it makes no sense at all that you would be heir to the throne?