Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wingless Chinese Dragons

Take a look at the background art here.. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...ent-calculator

Any bets on a chinese dragon mount within the first tier of content of the expansion?

On a related note, any idea how they are gonna shoe-horn creatures like that into the lore?

you mean the dragons that have been around since the 2008 chinese olympics where people got free pets?

yeah, they'll probably show up. as for how they're going to "shoe-horn" them in...I dunno, the original dragonkin got lost on the island when the defense mist was activated and they adapted to the culture?

you have such an assumingly superior tone to your post that just really turns me off

Quote Originally Posted by jinreeko View Post
    you mean the dragons that have been around since the 2008 chinese olympics where people got free pets?

yeah, they'll probably show up. as for how they're going to "shoe-horn" them in...I dunno, the original dragonkin got lost on the island when the defense mist was activated and they adapted to the culture?

you have such an assumingly superior tone to your post that just really turns me off
    Was a simple question, no need to get your back up about it. Though on thinking about it, they have added loads of Dragon type models to the game, but all of them had a well fitting role in the existing lore of the game. For example, Proto dragons being the original flawed creations of the Titans, Stone Drakes being elemental in nature dwelling in the elemental planes, and of course Nether dragons and twilight dragons being the product of the twisting nether and Sintharia's experiments.

A chinese dragon is just that. It's something that exists in chinese folklore and mythology, but doesn't quite fit if you ask me in the grand scheme of things in the current lore of Azeroth. They aren't from another world like in BC or in Cata. Sorry, but any attempt to rectify that just sounds like "shoe-horning" it in if you ask me, just my opinion. Maybe Blizzard will prove me wrong with something that fits right in with the existing lore.

There already is a mount "Chromatic Drake" or something like that, in the game files. Also it's used in the DS raid, when you kill DW if you look close enough to the dragon soul above thrall right before he shoots it to deathwing, the chromatic drake is swirling around inside the dragon soul. But there are 2 datamined chromatic drakes, a mount and just a model

Quote Originally Posted by Diagonal View View Post
    There already is a mount "Chromatic Drake" or something like that, in the game files. Also it's used in the DS raid, when you kill DW if you look close enough to the dragon soul above thrall right before he shoots it to deathwing, the chromatic drake is swirling around inside the dragon soul. But there are 2 datamined chromatic drakes, a mount and just a model
    The Chromatic dragon does have that chinese dragon rhythm to it, but it's worth noting it does have very large wings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN3MprbDp6c

Quote Originally Posted by Danur View Post
    A chinese dragon is just that. It's something that exists in chinese folklore and mythology, but doesn't quite fit if you ask me in the grand scheme of things in the current lore of Azeroth. They aren't from another world like in BC or in Cata. Sorry, but any attempt to rectify that just sounds like "shoe-horning" it in if you ask me, just my opinion. Maybe Blizzard will prove me wrong with something that fits right in with the existing lore.
    They could easily not be related to the dragonflights at all, as we would have met all of the dragonflights by now. It could just be evolution at work, allowing some smaller serpents to adapt to some of Pandaria's more mountainous regions. They can easily be justified: the question is if you're going to accept that justification or - which seems more likely at this point - be a hater, in which case you're not going to accept anything.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Call it a "serpent" and claim it's unrelated to any dragonkin we've met so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    They could easily not be related to the dragonflights at all, as we would have met all of the dragonflights by now. It could just be evolution at work, allowing some smaller serpents to adapt to some of Pandaria's more mountainous regions. They can easily be justified: the question is if you're going to accept that justification or - which seems more likely at this point - be a hater, in which case you're not going to accept anything.
    I think you've hit the accurate pretty squarely on the head.

As for the other part of my post. I wonder if mounting them will have us up on the spine below where the neck should be, while the rest of the body slithers. Would look a bit like a Nether Ray, pretty sick

This is what discovery of new lands does...it intorduces somthing new to an existing culture.

Deleted

On a related note, any idea how they are gonna shoe-horn creatures like that into the lore?
    Are you kidding?

You mean Blizzard "ret-cons 'r' us" Entertainment?

Can't see it being a problem tbh.

Every expansion introduces several new species we probably should have seen before, and not always with any real justification.

Say, I didn't notice that before. Wouldn't be shocked if they made into the game.

I don't think Blizzard would find it hard to fit them into the lore somehow. After Blizzard pulled the "it's not a phoenix" card on the Firehawks, it doesn't seem like a stretch that they would use the "it's not a dragon" card on Chinese dragons.
    Those who search for meaning in something will always find it - even if it's not there. Apophenia and pareidolia, gentlemen.

Deleted
    Pandaria has been completely cut-off from the rest of Azeroth for centuries. It's quite likely there will be things we haven't seen before.

The Chromatic dragon does have that chinese dragon rhythm to it, but it's worth noting it does have very large wings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN3MprbDp6c
    how is that not have a chinese dragon rhythm? the chromatic dragon is basically a japanese dragon, which is extremely similar to chinese dragons. it's only japanese because of the toes.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    how is that not have a chinese dragon rhythm? the chromatic dragon is basically a japanese dragon, which is extremely similar to chinese dragons. it's only japanese because of the toes.
    "The Chromatic dragon does have that chinese dragon rhythm to it, but it's worth noting it does have very large wings"

I said it does, and agree with you. Only noting that it does have wings. Please read more carefully.

Spirit of Competition

no longer obtainable
    was reward for logging in during the 2008 Olympics as i recall

as well as:
    Celestial Dragon

150 Companion Pets reward
    Last edited by reverendball; 2011-11-23 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    apparently i was much higher than i thought i was. my apologies
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    Spirit of Competition

no longer obtainable
    was reward for logging in during the 2008 Olympics as i recall

as well as:
    Celestial Dragon

150 Companion Pets reward
    What does a special event vanity pet have to do with anything? Are you implying that every vanity pet fits into Lore? How is it that we have mini-Kel'thuzads then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lung dragons (the proper name for Chinese dragons) could easily be passed off as an entirely different creature altogether, native to Pandaria. They could fill the role many do in Chinese folklore, as wise teachers and lovers of riddles who often take up residence in the mountains near a village to scare off evil spirits.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that'll be another mount on my "I refuse to ever ride a dragon" list.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)