Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Worth playing Diablo 2?

Hey guys,

I was wondering, is it worth it to pick up Diablo II before III is released? How about the dated graphics, will it hold me back?
    If you have any tips for me, please share .

Cheers!

I still find Diablo II a very fun game to play once in a while. So I would say yeah, pick it up!

I'd recommend playing it in singleplayer with plugy and a resolution mod.
    And yes because it is a great game, regardless of age!

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would the graphics bother you? Gameplay is what counts =) Though inactive characters getting deleted does not make me play again.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Why would the graphics bother you? Gameplay is what counts =) Though inactive characters getting deleted does not make me play again.
    you just described my heartbreak after i started playing wow >~> i lost SO many 99's because i was busy playing wow lol.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Ah, cool! I'll definately try it then . And no, dated graphics don't bother me at all when the gameplay/story/etc. is still good . But since I've never, ever (I know :S) tried it before, is it hard to pick up? I don't mind a high learning curve, but if so, then I know what I can expect . And if you have any tips for a beginner, it would be much appreciated!

It's good practice for D3, and you'll pick up some nice lore tidbits that'll help you to understand D3 (though is by no means necessary). It'll help you decide whether you think D3 will be worth it for you or not.

I tried out D2 recently. Finished up act 1 and think that's enough for me (as I've read up on Diablo Fans about all the lore): I like it, but there's a lot of outdated mechanics which mean it can be a bit of a struggle sometimes. The main two I have difficulty with are the tiny inventory (meaning you have to TP back every few minutes) and the difficulty with using lots of different abilities. You just end up spamming two attacks (main attack and one ability bound to right mouse click) and it can get a bit dull.

Good news is both of these issues, plus all the others, are fixed in D3. So yeah: it'll give you an idea of what to expect, but don't get turned off for D3 because of it. D3 improves on D2 in so many ways.

As for tips for a new player: I'd say go Paladin. It's what I did, and it's really easy levelling. While levelling up just put all your points in Smite and faceroll. Make sure you always have lots of potions on you, as well as scrolls of TP and Identify (before Deckard Cain joins the party). For the rest... Just get out there and explore. You'll figure it out. Good luck!

Deleted
    If it'll run on your PC then I think it's still worth a playthrough, although the graphics are massively dated, the playstyle is still pretty fun and it's worth it for the storyline. It is very outdated so it really just depends on how much that bothers you. It is worth mentioning though that on some operating systems/graphics card it won't play or has quite bad graphical errors. My Win7/recent graphics card will not play it unfortunately despite several attempts to fix it based on google advice.. my husbands older PC plays it fine. Before spending money on it, it may be worth googling your graphics card and diablo 2 and seeing if there are reported problems.

I got a high-specced PC Win7 64 bit, Nvidia 570, and it plays fine on my PC I belive. Now days its to out dated for me, having played it for many years (more than wow, but taking looong breaks), so cant be arsed. But if you never played it, and not scared off spammers online, bad graphics and some outdated things, dont buy it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    It's good practice for D3, and you'll pick up some nice lore tidbits that'll help you to understand D3 (though is by no means necessary). It'll help you decide whether you think D3 will be worth it for you or not.

I tried out D2 recently. Finished up act 1 and think that's enough for me (as I've read up on Diablo Fans about all the lore): I like it, but there's a lot of outdated mechanics which mean it can be a bit of a struggle sometimes. The main two I have difficulty with are the tiny inventory (meaning you have to TP back every few minutes) and the difficulty with using lots of different abilities. You just end up spamming two attacks (main attack and one ability bound to right mouse click) and it can get a bit dull.

Good news is both of these issues, plus all the others, are fixed in D3. So yeah: it'll give you an idea of what to expect, but don't get turned off for D3 because of it. D3 improves on D2 in so many ways.

As for tips for a new player: I'd say go Paladin. It's what I did, and it's really easy levelling. While levelling up just put all your points in Smite and faceroll. Make sure you always have lots of potions on you, as well as scrolls of TP and Identify (before Deckard Cain joins the party). For the rest... Just get out there and explore. You'll figure it out. Good luck!
    If you've only played act 1, you haven't played D2. Try playing hell all the way through, and you may actually understand what the game is about.
    For a start, paladins are the most dull of the lot, for a first time player, I'd recommend an amazon, barbarian or sorceress, they're much more interesting Only pick up items of blue or higher quality, and of those, only certain ones, as you play, you'll learn what items sell for max gold, and what doesn't (mainly charachter specific items with +skills) After a while, only pick up yellow or higher quality items or those which sell for max gold, and you wont have to town portal back every 2 minutes. Also, get tomes of town portal and identity, not scrolls. Derp.

Play it, play it, play it and play it. I still log in from time to time after having played it for years on and off. It's still one of the best hack and slash rpg's out there. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's not D3 :P

Great game, play it through, at least untill you've had a fair go on the different acts on hell. You'll end up liking it and wanting more (D3).

Deleted
    Play it, the graphics however outdated, is not something to be scared off by.

necromancer is a really fun class to play, such a shame its not in d3

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    If you've only played act 1, you haven't played D2. Try playing hell all the way through, and you may actually understand what the game is about.
    For a start, paladins are the most dull of the lot, for a first time player, I'd recommend an amazon, barbarian or sorceress, they're much more interesting Only pick up items of blue or higher quality, and of those, only certain ones, as you play, you'll learn what items sell for max gold, and what doesn't (mainly charachter specific items with +skills) After a while, only pick up yellow or higher quality items or those which sell for max gold, and you wont have to town portal back every 2 minutes. Also, get tomes of town portal and identity, not scrolls. Derp.
    Do the game mechanics change in later difficulties or does it just get tougher? I'm pretty sure it's just the latter. The combat mechanics will stay mostly the same; maybe you'll face monsters that do different stuff, but it's still the same basic principle: 'kill it until it's dead'. Sure, I could play more of the game, but I don't feel I need to.

The rest of your post is explaining what to do if you were to get into D2 hardcore, and, well... What's the point in doing that now? D3 is just around the corner after all. May as well just play it a bit and get a taste for it: you'll very quickly figure out whether it's a game you want to keep playing or not. Don't need to play through every act on every difficulty just to figure that out!

And yes, I forgot about tomes. I do have them, but I just forgot about their existence. Tomes are naturally a lot better than scrolls, yes.

It´s quit boring, Atleast in my opinion. Was fun way back tho, really fun

its an okay game if you dont abuse all the easy to get cheats there is for the game, dont play it online if you think there is mucth goldsller spam in wow then wait til you see the itemsller site spam in that game its so annoying

but playing solo or only in games whit password on online its an okay fun thing do now and then

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah It's a Good Fun game I've had it for quite some time and enjoyed the single player campaign and the extra expansion pack is not bad with the extra class as 'Druid', I have played 'Paladin' as my first class just randomly and they are also pretty fun in my opinion.

Plus the Graphics don't really bother me as the gameplay is just fun And Shouldn't turn you off of playing Diablo 3, as it will give you a basic show of the storyline of all of the Diablo Games..

Quote Originally Posted by Chillerbill View Post
    Hey guys,

I was wondering, is it worth it to pick up Diablo II before III is released? How about the dated graphics, will it hold me back?
    If you have any tips for me, please share .

Cheers!
    Absolutely! I've been playing on b.net every ladder and well...its fun, sometimes i spend there more time than in wow It's hard at first to get used to b.net trading\community if you want to play there, but it is the most intresting aspect of the game! Single player is good for learning but boring.
    Graphics may hold back some new players=) You have to play it a few days to understand that graphics don't matter there, it is all about atmosphere and killing stuff

P.S. ...sometimes i miss that random stats on items when playing wow) it would be much more fun
    Last edited by shifuren; 2011-11-25 at 11:34 AM.

Deleted
    Arghh...still remember the long sleepless night's, doing Br's on hardcore <3
    Yeh totally go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd play it if i were you.
    Just cause its an older game doesn't make the gameplay any worse than what it would have been back in the day. I bought and played Wc3 a month ago and its been one of my favourite games to date (only the single player) as the campaign surpassed all my expectations and for the price of the game was well worth it.

Personally I'm just going to play it when i get the CE for D3.