Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The good thing is now until the end of the year the already low computer prices will be even lower. You can build yourself (or upgrade) for only a few hundred bucks these days. Sure you could get top of the line shit, but if all you are concerned with is playing the game on whatever settings, the newer software is miles behind hardware in terms of price -> performance. So many amazing systems are basically overkill. I built my own and spent about $1800, but this thing will last me for a few more generations of the highest graphic'ed games with ultra settings.

Like I said, though, just to be able to play, for a few hundred bucks you are better off splurging and not having to worry about this issue with the next game you want to play. Better to do it once and do it right
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonticus View Post
    Damn, ah well. Will check the Beta this weekend to see if it definately crushes my PC. I thought it'd be okay since it plays Black ops pretty well but hey, looks like my local computer shop will be getting some of my readies this month!

Thanks for the swift reply Joe!

EDIT: Thankyou Pyre! i was wondering why it said 2GHz+ dual core required (which i have!) but then said it wouldn't run it. I'd assumed it was due to my CPU being pretty old...
    The upgrade would be worth it to keep up with the change in the graphics and how much higher the quality of every game is getting.

Deleted
    Thanks for the detailed replies folks, if it's unplayable this weekend then which part would you say is the most important upgrade? RAM i'd guess? or should i just start from scratch and build a monster?
    CPU is your main bottleneck here.
    Though if you overclock it, it can get decent (it seems to overclock easily to 3+ Ghz).
    I had a Pentium 5200 overclocked to 3.1Ghz and it was ok on high settings with a radeon 4770 (30-40+ fps).

If you plan to upgrade, go for a quad-core (a Phenom II 955 is sufficient and cheap, or a Core i5 2500k if you can afford it) as SWTOR is really CPU heavy.
    Your graphic card should be sufficient for medium settings.
    If you have a little more money after cpu+ram upgrade, go for an AMD Radeon 6850 and you be able to play at max settings (except maybe shadows which are really taxing).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    The good thing is now until the end of the year the already low computer prices will be even lower. You can build yourself (or upgrade) for only a few hundred bucks these days. Sure you could get top of the line shit, but if all you are concerned with is playing the game on whatever settings, the newer software is miles behind hardware in terms of price -> performance. So many amazing systems are basically overkill. I built my own and spent about $1800, but this thing will last me for a few more generations of the highest graphic'ed games with ultra settings.

Like I said, though, just to be able to play, for a few hundred bucks you are better off splurging and not having to worry about this issue with the next game you want to play. Better to do it once and do it right
    TBH i'm an old game nerd, I only really play WoW, NWN and some older total war titles. SW:TOR is the first game that's interested me in over 3 years... technology jumped me it would seem lol!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am still hoping there is a decent increase in FPS from beta to live.

You have a better graphics card than I do, but we have similar CPU and same RAM. I could barely play beta two weeks ago.

It seems graphics card is the major determining factor because if you have a good enough card, odds are you have more than 2Ghz CPU and 2 GBs RAM already.

I am hoping going to 6 GB RAM and a new graphics card will let me play until I get enough to upgrade whole pc.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    you just throwing numbers about for fun? lol
    No no! He isn't throwing around random numbers.. He is the FPS god.

Since he is the FPS god he is the person in charge of dealing out how much FPS a person is allowed to have, hence the "sorry", cause he is only allowing you to get 10fps .

Deleted
    Im running :

CPU : Intel i3 2.9GHz
    RAM : 3GB DDR3
    GPU : Intel (R) HD Graphics 1GB

Pretty shocking GPU to be fair but I am upgrading to:

RAM : 8GB DDR3
    GPU : HIS ATI Radeon HD 6770 IceQ X Turbo 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Taken name from Overclockers.co.uk)

Think this will be a significant upgrade for TOR? I also play on HD via HDMI (if it matters)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Llame View Post
    No no! He isn't throwing around random numbers.. He is the FPS god.

Since he is the FPS god he is the person in charge of dealing out how much FPS a person is allowed to have, hence the "sorry", cause he is only allowing you to get 10fps .
    If we sacrifice KFC popcorn chicken to him do you reckon he'll let me have some more?

TBH i'm an old game nerd, I only really play WoW, NWN and some older total war titles. SW:TOR is the first game that's interested me in over 3 years... technology jumped me it would seem lol!
    I hear that, that's why I'm saying do it once the right way so you will be good for the next couple jumps without having to worry about it. I'm kind of the same way, but not gonna lie. Playing Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on Ultra is definitely worth it. This whole wave is pushing cosmetics, so it's just best to buy when it's cheap and ride the wave
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Check your bios and see if you're able to overclock your processor. The E-series dualcores are notorious for extreme overclocking potential. A long time ago I had an E2160 which I believe clocked standard at 1.5 GHZ Dual-Core and I overclocked it to 3 GHZ with just an after-market cooler.

Deleted
    you just throwing numbers about for fun? lol

Dont throw "shitty" comments around dude, atleast I have backup for my replies!

Considering that alot of people with 4 gigs ram (1066 mhz) AMD Phenom I 9600 four-core 2.3 ghz or EQUAL specs only pull out 25-30 FPS I cannot see why those ppl with those bad/old computers could get the same FPS. Its harsh but sry im just beeing honest
    Last edited by mmocb3d92687c2; 2011-11-24 at 08:53 PM.

Which country do u reside in? I have a maximus 3 formula with an i5 processor lying about that I would be willing to part with for a reasonable amount of money. I live in Norway so a shipment to the US wouldn't be worth it tho

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Those sites are one of the most unreliable things on the internet.
    I find this amusingly ironic, since, these sites were made, because the system requirements posted for games is nearly useless... They can't take into account the variability of your specific hardware or software setup...

-Alamar

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I am still hoping there is a decent increase in FPS from beta to live.

You have a better graphics card than I do, but we have similar CPU and same RAM. I could barely play beta two weeks ago.

It seems graphics card is the major determining factor because if you have a good enough card, odds are you have more than 2Ghz CPU and 2 GBs RAM already.

I am hoping going to 6 GB RAM and a new graphics card will let me play until I get enough to upgrade whole pc.
    Unless you have a 64 bit operating system upgrading to 6GB of memory is a waste of time. You require a 64 Bit operating system to utilize anything more than 3.25GB of memory. Then comes the neat little tidbit that FPS is not directly affected by your RAM.

---------- Post added 2011-11-24 at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Im running :

CPU : Intel i3 2.9GHz
    RAM : 3GB DDR3
    GPU : Intel (R) HD Graphics 1GB

Pretty shocking GPU to be fair but I am upgrading to:

RAM : 8GB DDR3
    GPU : HIS ATI Radeon HD 6770 IceQ X Turbo 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Taken name from Overclockers.co.uk)

Think this will be a significant upgrade for TOR? I also play on HD via HDMI (if it matters)
    The Radeon HD6770 lags a bit while playing at 1920x1080 but you can compensate for that by playing at 1680x1050. I use to run an i3 combo'd with an HD5770 and that is all it took to play on ultra.

---------- Post added 2011-11-24 at 01:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by discopolice View Post

Considering that alot of people with 4 gigs ram (1066 mhz) AMD Phenom I 9600 four-core 2.3 ghz or EQUAL specs only pull out 25-30 FPS I cannot see why those ppl with those bad/old computers could get the same FPS. Its harsh but sry im just beeing honest
    You threw out random numbers without backing up your claims. I'm not saying the user was in the right but lets be honest here you can't just throw out random numbers without proof and state that it is fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by discopolice View Post
    I was only playing, sorry if I offended you hombre!

10+ Year Old Account
    Core2 Duo 3GHz
    450GTS
    4GB Ram
    Win7

Ran the 11/11 beta with fps avg. between 50-60.

honestly I'd say 5-15 fps or so if that. it's odd people consider that playable. my system is similar and that's about what I had last week with everything on low it was ... playable at times. in populated areas and big cities prepare for a lot of bad fps.

Wondering if some people here are just trolling. The numbers in this thread (15 FPS for a Sandy Bridge processor and 520m? lol) are just ridiculous.

I'm interested in the FPS that a low end system will get too, and as luck has it I've got a good chance to test this weekend:

i7 2677m @ 1.8 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Intel HD 3000

It's not low, low end, but it's still a laptop with a slower processor and integrated graphics. I'm very interested in seeing how it does. Wish I still had a C2D system on hand to test with, though.

You are in dire need of a new rig. Not just for gaming but in general. Shitty notebooks for 300 bucks have better specs.