Looking to start recording raids in HD 1080p. couple questions.

black friday is tomorrow, and i need a couple questions answered?

i know i need another HDD so im thinking about going with a
    http://i.imgur.com/67qk6.png

GPU im currently using the Nvidia GeFore GTX 250. so i obviously need to upgrade this. any suggestions?
    i'm looking at the Nvidia GTX 560 Ti atm.

is there anything else i need for smooth recording, that wont lower my FPS during raids, etc.?

my price range is around 250ish for the GPU, lower would be best, if possible. i just want the best for my money.
    and around $80ish for the internal HHD

my computer specs:
    Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU K875 @ 2.93GHz
    RAM:8.00GB
    GPU: Nvidia GeFore GTX 250
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

15+ Year Old Account
    Make sure that drive is 7200rpm one and that it's not intended for storage having energy saving features that could possibly screw things up while recording.

If you decide to buy that GTX 560ti your next bottleneck will be the processor. The setup should be viable for recording with few recuded graphics settings, if you want to further enchance that, you are looking at ~$300+ CPU and mobo upgrade.

how would i check to see is the drive is 7200 rpm and the energy saving features

Quote Originally Posted by killtrick View Post
    how would i check to see is the drive is 7200 rpm and the energy saving features
    Google the specs for the drive you're after.

Edit: If possible you should look at upgrading your RAM as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    black friday is tomorrow, and i need a couple questions answered?

i know i need another HDD so im thinking about going with a
    http://i.imgur.com/67qk6.png

GPU im currently using the Nvidia GeFore GTX 250. so i obviously need to upgrade this. any suggestions?
    i'm looking at the Nvidia GTX 560 Ti atm.

is there anything else i need for smooth recording, that wont lower my FPS during raids, etc.?

my price range is around 250ish for the GPU, lower would be best, if possible. i just want the best for my money.
    and around $80ish for the internal HHD

my computer specs:
    Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU K875 @ 2.93GHz
    RAM:8.00GB
    GPU: Nvidia GeFore GTX 250
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    The nVidia GTX560Ti or AMD Radeon HD6950 will suit you just fine, the HD6950 is a bit more powerfull if you can find it for 250US, with the whole Black Friday thing i'm sure there are a couple on sale somewhere.

As for HDD, choose another such as a Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ, that's 7200RPM and fast while cheap.
    The HDD you chose is a Seagate (hate that brand for personal reasons - amount of deaths/bad sectors) Low Profile 5400RPM HDD, not very suited for high resolution recording.

As for the rest of your specs, they are fine, you'd probably be well off to OC that CPU with a proper cooler, would quite significantly boost your recording/gaming experience, your ram however, contrary to what the other guy said, is more then enough with 8GB and does not require upgrading.
    Even if you had standard 1333MHz RAM memory, you would still barely, IF AT ALL, notice the difference.

Just make sure that the HDD you record on is not the same HDD as where you run WoW or other games on.

Power saving features are irrelevant for the HDD, you're not using a laptop so it won't lower spindle speed nor will Windows allow it to run slower when you're actively streaming data to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Power saving features are irrelevant for the HDD, you're not using a laptop so it won't lower spindle speed nor will Windows allow it to run slower when you're actively streaming data to it.
    But storage drives usually come bundled with lower speed (5400rpm) and power savings.

I have had no issues Frapsing to one of the "green" mass storage drives that run at 5400RPM with 1080, but that is all the drive is doing as all my programs are running from a SSD. The only thing to make sure is that you disable the power saving features that let the drive go to sleep, as trying to fraps to a drive that isnt spun up will give you ~15 sec of 0fps while it figures its life out. Its fine once it does start up though if you keep it active enough to not go back to sleep if you want to keep its default power saving features on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuzum View Post
    I have had no issues Frapsing to one of the "green" mass storage drives that run at 5400RPM with 1080, but that is all the drive is doing as all my programs are running from a SSD. The only thing to make sure is that you disable the power saving features that let the drive go to sleep, as trying to fraps to a drive that isnt spun up will give you ~15 sec of 0fps while it figures its life out. Its fine once it does start up though if you keep it active enough to not go back to sleep if you want to keep its default power saving features on.
    As i said, irrelevant when data is being actively streamed to the HDD, it will not go back to sleep when FRAPSing.

---------- Post added 2011-11-24 at 11:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    But storage drives usually come bundled with lower speed (5400rpm) and power savings.
    Those power savings are overwritten by Windows' power management, and as stated above, as long as you keep streaming data to the drive it will not go into power savings.

As for spindle speed, i did suggest a 7200RPM drive with a specific model even, though 5400RPM will do the job aswell, i prefer speed over saving at most 5W of power.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even though it's actually relevant if your game lags when you start recording. Who keeps frapsing constantly (data being actively streamed)?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Even though it's actually relevant if your game lags when you start recording. Who keeps frapsing constantly (data being actively streamed)?
    Whilst that may be an "issue" of sorts, no respectable recorder starts recording only from the moment they need to, it's pure and simple sloppyness.
    FRAPSing takes a ton of space and will pretty much ensure you'll not put it to sleep, now if you do absolutely nothing for 20 minutes waiting to FRAPS an event then i don't know exactly what that person is doing (Windows' sleep timer for HDDs) but it isn't FRAPSing.

However just to make you feel better... "Yes, it matters if you've been doing nothing for 20 minutes to that drive then start recording instantly during an event it will lag for about 5 seconds for it to wake up."

Better?

i'm also running at 1920x1080 resolution. would that interfere with recording in HD?? i atleast want to record at 720p

15+ Year Old Account
    i'm also running at 1920x1080 resolution. would that interfere with recording in HD?? i atleast want to record at 720p
    You record in the resolution you're playing at, so 1080p.

As stated as long as it's not on the same drive as the game you should be fine.

ok good. i noticed that they put up a new 560 ti on the black friday sells post the Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5. for $179. any thoughts on that?

15+ Year Old Account
    ok good. i noticed that they put up a new 560 ti on the black friday sells post the Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5. for $179. any thoughts on that?
    Honestly i don't know Galaxy very well, in the EU they aren't that well known.

I would probably go for an ASUS first or w/e.

and would i be able to record in high or ultra settings while still raiding smoothly with no lag??

sorry for all of these questions. i just want to make sure im getting the right stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    and would i be able to record in high or ultra settings while still raiding smoothly with no lag??

sorry for all of these questions. i just want to make sure im getting the right stuff.
    Depends on raid size and what encounter, even the strongest of PCs gets beat down on some encounters, but generally you should be fine if you OC a bit.

High at least should be no issue.

never OCed anything so im def not going to do it myself. and i'll use 25HM ryolith for example. since there's a lot of stuff going on. but i see what you're saying.