Can i replace videocard in my laptop?

Heya there,

I got an Aspire 5552 laptop (acer) a while back and was wondering if anyone knew if i can replace the videocard. I tried to google it but i didn't really do much either.

Specs:

Amd Phemon (tm) II X4 N950
    Ati Mobility Radeon (tm) HD4250
    4 GB DDR3 Memory
    640 GB HDD

-

Thanks in advance. (And a have a great black friday, for the americans!)

I suspect the card is a part of the motherboard mate, so yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
    I suspect the card is a part of the motherboard mate, so yeah...
    Hmmm.... I thought you couldn't replace it if it was part of the motherboard (aka onboard video card) *scratches head*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadem View Post
    Hmmm.... I thought you couldn't replace it if it was part of the motherboard (aka onboard video card) *scratches head*
    I believe he means yeah...(you can't do it)

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only way to change a video chip inside of a laptop would be to take it in to a professional who could make the changes and it would end up cheaper to purchase an all new laptop.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    The HD4250 is an integrated graphics card - its not replaceable.

In addition, the vast majority of laptops don't ship with any form of standard GPU connection. This is only further complicated by laptop GPUs being very difficult to purchase stand-alone.

This is also ignoring that the machine may not have the power or thermal capability to properly drive the machine when you actually replace it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, it is never defendebale to upgrade anything except maybe RAM in an laptop.
    The cost for changing stuff (unless you can do it yourself) is not really any option considering how cheap laptops are today and that is under the assumption that you are even able to change it which is most often not the case (read the above posters)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Generally speaking, it is never defendebale to upgrade anything except maybe RAM in an laptop.
    The cost for changing stuff (unless you can do it yourself) is not really any option considering how cheap laptops are today and that is under the assumption that you are even able to change it which is most often not the case (read the above posters)
    It doesn't cost that much to replace a GPU if you have a MXM/MXMII socket. I recently got my 130M replaced by a 240M (I kinda destroyed it...) and It doesn't even cost that much (well, it didn't cost me anything, warranty, but they sent the cost of the stuff with it for some reason...)

It's not worth the trouble, however...