Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazaroz View Post
    I belive Michio Kaku talked about some huge solar flares in 2012. They won't do anything serious, though, just fuck up the internet in America or something iirc.
    The Americas are already planning on fucking up their internet. They dont need solar flares for that.

my birthday is on 21 Dec also, that thing ain't gonna happen but ppl like to creep out of anything

With a massive party because the zombie apocalypse is FINALLY here, so i can go round killing all the people in the world i hate first!

Well I am sorry & NASA will have a better understanding than me.

I am interested in Mayan Calender predictions. As they where, along with the Chinese & Egyptians, Earth's first Astronomers.

Anyways, Im sitting back , having a Beer & listning to some Alice.

Can Our Sun Produce a Killer Flare?

The short answer to this is “no”.

The longer answer is a little more involved. Whilst a solar flare from out Sun, aimed directly at us, could cause secondary problems such as satellite damage and injury to unprotected astronauts and blackouts, the flare itself is not powerful enough to destroy Earth, certainly not in 2012. I dare say, in the far future when the Sun begins to run out of fuel and swell into a red giant, it might be a bad era for life on Earth, but we have a few billion years to wait for that to happen.

There could even be the possibility of several X-class flares being launched and by pure bad luck we may get hit by a series of CMEs and X-ray bursts, but none will be powerful to overcome our magnetosphere, ionosphere and thick atmosphere below

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgtsparkles View Post
    Well Jesus I hope you don't have a heart attack from all the variety and excitement. Living on the edge is dangerous.
    Yeah. I've already done quite a bit in my 28 years, time to just focus on my family and make sure my daughter is taken care of.

I mean thanks to the Army, I've sky dived, fast roped down from helicopters, mountain climbed, "camped" in the woods for weeks on end, been to Iraq AND Afghanistan, been piss drunk. Before the Army, I surfed, roller bladed, skate boarded, went to concerts. I guess I should get out there and live. I haven't experienced anything...
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-11-25 at 02:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So it looks like some people have taken lots of different, unconnect pieces of information across the whole span of human history and just jammed them together so start some good ol' fear mongering
    I fixed that for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cap the flag ffs!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    They saw his new statue and thought "Oh well, a king clever enough to waste money on a statue while half his city is burning is worthy of our support! More beer please!"

What should I celebrate about going to hell ?

Deleted
    I will celebrate new years eve for 2013.

Solar flares affects communication, not electricity specifically. Some areas of the planet will have some unstable internet and telephone communication, but that's about it.
    "Super" solar flares are not indicative of a sun going supernova. They happen all the time, not as often as normal solar flares, but they happen. In worst case scenario a highly powered solar flare hitting the Earth could incinerate the atmosphere and destroy all living organisms due to the amount of radiation, but we won't face anything that strong. And no, our sun will not become a black hole, it simply doesn't have the mass required. The latest calculations show that, the required mass of a star to become a black hole is 4 times our own solar mass, minimum.
    However, there has been some talk about the next polar shift happening within the next 100 years or so. It will cause massive floods and earthquakes, but it's purely hypothetical.

If any "Doomsday Event" were to occur it wouldn't be because of an astronomical phenomenon, magnetic pole shift or a hand of God. It will simply be our own carelessness resulting in a nuclear war. We'll just end up killing ourselves.
    At any rate, if it were to occur, I'd be sitting on my porch listening to music, sipping some scotch and just let it happen. Nothing much we can do about it.

Continue waiting for Christmas and my free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Same thing I do every day. Why should the end of the world be any different?

It's bullshit anyways. See you in 2013.
    Basically this.... If however for some strange reason the world does end.... I'll be upset, scared etc. I would have never told my best friend that I've loved her since childhood, I've have never done certain things (learn the piano, become a chef etc.) and most likely it would happen without warning, meaning I'd have no preparations for these things, such as if it were announced (think evil mastermind announcing the end of the world in an anime etc.) you'd have time to do things important to you like tell those you love that you love them and all that business, sudden destruction? Nope... Just everything gone in an instant.

I need to stop thinking so much....

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    Huge solar flares happen all the time aswell , but just not here -.-

To my knowing , those "super" solar flares only occur when a sun ( star? ) dies , and that happens QUITE often. However , if eg the sun would explode , it'll make a black hole and inventually explode , and then everything will be kind of gone here.
    Our sun is far too small to explode into a black hole. What will happen when our sun dies, however, is expand rapidly as it burns up its remaining nuclear fuel, and go into its 'Red Giant' phase. The sun will expand and eat up Mercury and Venus. It will come close, but will not consume us ( We will all be dead from the massives ammount of heat anyways.)

The sun will soon collapse in on itself and become a 'White Dwarf'. Where it will stay dimly lighting up our dead solar system for hundreds of thousands of years. Then it will just flicker out

Deleted
    How would I celebrate the end of the world in 2012? well, first I'll open my 234 year old blood I've been keeping since I was made a vampire. Then I'll invite Frankenstein, count Dracula, the Mummy, the Grim Reaper, Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hide, the Werewolf, the Minotaur, the three ghosts of Christmas, the Chupacabra, Yeti, Big Foot, the Slenderman, some zombies, an evil dragon, a giant spider, a chimera, Seth(the god of death, although Seth my neighbour across the street could go as well), the frost giants and a few others. If everyone shows up we'll have a feast and celebrate, if not I'm afraid we'll have to cancel the end of the world this year as well. Sorry guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddabezze View Post
    Our sun is far too small to explode into a black hole. What will happen when our sun dies, however, is expand rapidly as it burns up its remaining nuclear fuel, and go into its 'Red Giant' phase. The sun will expand and eat up Mercury and Venus. It will come close, but will not consume us ( We will all be dead from the billions of years till that eventualy happens.)

The sun will soon collapse in on itself and become a 'White Dwarf'. Where it will stay dimly lighting up our dead solar system for hundreds of thousands of years. Then it will just flicker out
    fixed that for you.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Just for those that believe the world will end in 2012 due to the Mayan Calendar ending then: Microsoft Office calendar also ends one day, i believe 8199 or 8299. so the world is just as likely to end on one of those days.

XD

It's like people expected the Mayans to keep their calender going forever. Think about how long ago this was. They probably got to 2012 and said "Look, if we ever make it that far, I'll make a new damn calender."

Sure they were original astronomers. Probably knew alot too. Maybe in 2012 their feathered snake god is going to hatch from the sun and eat us all. Maybe that's it!

Anyways.

I'm not concerned. At all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

Gonna wait and see what kind of retarded apocalyptic scenario people come up with post 2012

Laugh, thats what.

It will be funny, cus I am only 17 and I have already lived through about 6 end of the worlds. Kinda makes me feel fucking immortal.

So I will walk around and laugh at all the people who said the world was going to end.

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Sure they were original astronomers. Probably knew alot too. Maybe in 2012 their feathered snake god is going to hatch from the sun and eat us all. Maybe that's it!
    Fuck me. If the world does end; thats how I want it to go down!
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    My plan is to get as drunk as possible with some buddys that day.