Question Video Card selection help

Hey guys,

I have recently been looking for a new video card to replace the one i have which burnt out on me. I have been searching online for a new card which could run the games either as good or better than my old video card ( Which was a Nvidia 9800 GT ). I have a hard limit of $200 to spend but i really don't want to reach that price. I have found a couple of cards online i am interested in which are:

1. EVGA 01G-P3-1351-KR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card for $109.99 after the rebate
    The link for it is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130663

2. EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, $154.99 after rebate
    The link for it is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130571

3. GIGABYTE GV-N550OC-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, $109.99 after rebate
    The link for it is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125367

My questions for all of these are
    Which of these are the best deal?
    Are they that much different in performance ?
    Finally, I could buy a card now or i could wait til cyber monday. I have never shopped on that day so i would like to know if it is worth the wait to get it then?

Second has best performance, which also shows in price. Difference to first is pretty big, third card is somewhere in between first and second.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Like vesseblah said, the 2nd one appears to be the best choice. As for waiting for cyber Monday; if you can wait, I'd wait. If Black Friday was any indicator, we can expect some awesome deals on GPUs Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Second has best performance, which also shows in price. Difference to first is pretty big, third card is somewhere in between first and second.
    Alright thanks, now do you think it would be wise to wait until cyber monday? like i said i have never shopped then so i dont know about the deals that go around then and if they are worth it or not

Edit: Ah i see note's reply, thank you aswell, i think i shall wait
    Last edited by Nephilus; 2011-11-25 at 10:53 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Alright I'll do this point form for the sake of ease.

1) Out of those three cards the only one worth the money is the GTX460 but even still there is better cards available for that price, see below for examples.
    2) Yes all three cards differ in performance by about 15 to 20%. In order of performance you will see the GTX550 Ti and GTS450 comparable with a deviation of about 5% performance while the GTX460 is approximately 15 to 20% better than the other two.
    3) Everyone is already doing sales for accessories including GPU's you won't find better deals this weekend on Cyber Monday than you would on Black Friday. Buy now and be happy with what you purchase.

Now for the onslaught of video cards. With a $200 budget you can pick up quite a few different cards and find fantastic performance. Here are a few within your budget that are great performers. As best as I can they're in order of performance with the last one being the top performer.
    Radeon HD6790 $109
    Radeon HD6850 $129
    Radeon HD6870 $155
    Geforce GTX560 Ti $179

Any of these four cards fit within your budget and will perform better than the three you mentioned.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^That 560 Ti for $180 is an INSANELY good deal.... if Gigabyte was kind enough and unlocked it for overclocking purposes, that would have to be one of THE BEST deals on the market right now, for performance/price value.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Alright I'll do this point form for the sake of ease.

1) Out of those three cards the only one worth the money is the GTX460 but even still there is better cards available for that price, see below for examples.
    2) Yes all three cards differ in performance by about 15 to 20%. In order of performance you will see the GTX550 Ti and GTS450 comparable with a deviation of about 5% performance while the GTX460 is approximately 15 to 20% better than the other two.
    3) Everyone is already doing sales for accessories including GPU's you won't find better deals this weekend on Cyber Monday than you would on Black Friday. Buy now and be happy with what you purchase.

Now for the onslaught of video cards. With a $200 budget you can pick up quite a few different cards and find fantastic performance. Here are a few within your budget that are great performers. As best as I can they're in order of performance with the last one being the top performer.
    Radeon HD6790 $109
    Radeon HD6850 $129
    Radeon HD6870 $155
    Geforce GTX560 Ti $179

Any of these four cards fit within your budget and will perform better than the three you mentioned.
    Now are these cards marginally different in performance? Forgive me, i really do not know much about video cards

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilus View Post
    Now are these cards marginally different in performance? Forgive me, i really do not know much about video cards
    Yeah there is give or take a 20% performance difference between the HD6790 and HD6870 with the largest difference in performance coming between the HD6790 and GTX560 Ti. Hands down the GTX560 Ti is the type of card you buy and forget about upgrading your card for the next 3 to 4 years.

R6850 is about on par with the GTX460 but $25 cheaper. GTX560ti is about 50% faster and the R6870 is somewhere in between.

As mentioned above, the GTX560ti at that price is very good deal, and the one card mentioned in this thread you should consider if you can afford it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I will look into the 560ti since it wounds like a great deal for a great card.

Thank you very much guys, i appreciate the quick response and the great help. Now its time to get this card ordered

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I will look into the 560ti since it wounds like a great deal for a great card.

Thank you very much guys, i appreciate the quick response and the great help. Now its time to get this card ordered
    Please double check that your power supply meets the GTX560 TI's power requirements prior to purchase. We don't want a video card collecting dust because of a power supply mishap.

GTX560Ti is phenomenal, fi you can splurge the extra ~$50, I highly recommend it.

What do you play?
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Please double check that your power supply meets the GTX560 TI's power requirements prior to purchase. We don't want a video card collecting dust because of a power supply mishap.
    Thank you for telling me that. I looked it up and it looks like i do not meet the requirements.
    I am working with an HP pavilion elite m9350f : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01469329
    Which i plan to upgrade and build a new computer in a couple of months or so.

So it seems i am only working with 460w of power at the moment. Like i just said i am going to upgrade later but i would like to get a card in the meantime that is decent. The upgrading is the reason i wouldnt mind not going to my max limit of 200. I still could get the card and a new power supply, Would you recommend that?

Oh and Adsertif i play:
    Battlefield BC2 [might pick up BFBC3 for pc]
    Team fortress 2
    WoW [well i used to, i always pick it up again from time to time]
    League of Legends
    And i am waiting for Guild wars 2 and Diablo 3