Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I'd like to point out that testers have already gone through the end-game raids...without a Damage Meter...or addons.

Personally I hope they never implement Damage Meters. Why? Because they make wonderful tools for personal improvement. However, more often than not, they are used to mock and flame other players, or to be a general dill. I feel the same way for Item Levels. They could be a nice tool for personal improvement. However they are usually used as some sort of threshold by players so that they can insult and mock other players.
    You can do that with anything, and although yes there are some people that misuse it, people will misuse every single feature you ever add. Damage meters bring more good then bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally find addons and meters a crutch to mmos and it takes away from the experience so I kinda hope they decide against allowing for them but they probably wont since people will complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    There is a built-in dmg meter.
    It's just not enabled at the moment, since the devs said they've had some issues with it in the beta.
    It is going to be enabled at release, or shortly after release.
    I would like confirmation on that please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure there hasn't been a built in damage meter in any recent rpg (if any at all) even games a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Anyways, Recount is a bad habit. Your damage won't even matter until you hit 50. Some classes work completely different at lower levels due to scaling and lack of companion, certain talents/abilities that they may not get until later while another class gets a huge cooldown earlier. It just doesn't matter.

I don't even run recount in WoW, World of Logs is way more accurate, shows a lot more than recount (mainly relevant damage, like rag phase 3 dps etc) and it's not a distraction during raid.

Deleted
    No e-peen in there. thats good news. though it sometimes will be hard to determine who is the bad player. but still. no e-peen= good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I would like confirmation on that please.
    Haven't got the source,sorry.
    I recall reading that on the forums about 4 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Hopefully addons will be out before im max level then, because raiding without something basic like recount would be plain stupid. I could understand no addons, but an in game damage meter should come with the lack of addons.
    "Understand no addons?!?!?!?!"

You can say all you want about WoW's success: If it wasn't for addons it would not be where it is today. SWTOR not only needs addons it needs the ability for the playerbase to make them. It also needs to be a fairly simple process. I'm amazed it's not in the game already. Hopefully they get that in ASAP.

---------- Post added 2011-11-26 at 04:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Pretty sure there hasn't been a built in damage meter in any recent rpg (if any at all) even games a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Anyways, Recount is a bad habit. Your damage won't even matter until you hit 50. Some classes work completely different at lower levels due to scaling and lack of companion, certain talents/abilities that they may not get until later while another class gets a huge cooldown earlier. It just doesn't matter.

I don't even run recount in WoW, World of Logs is way more accurate, shows a lot more than recount (mainly relevant damage, like rag phase 3 dps etc) and it's not a distraction during raid.
    I guess you play a DPS class then. Recount more or less works like omen. I could see it having practical uses for healers and tanks. I use it as such. DPS it actually matter's very little.
    Last edited by Psilar; 2011-11-26 at 09:34 AM.

Deleted
    personally the more the game stays a game and not number crunching all the time the better. At the same time something similar to WoL for Swtor endgame would be good, just for seeing damage taken and death causes realy. Damage meters... you can work out what buttons are better to press by reading tooltips and running a sim outside of the game.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Nobody gives a shit about threat meters.
    Yeah, thats why PVE guilds has OMEN as a mandatory addon to join raids
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Deleted
    I think, like most things in life, theres pro's and con's but ulitmatly I hope they don't put in damage meters; it's one of the small things that makes an mmo start to feel like a second job, its like having a performance review or sales figures or something. It is a nice feeling when you top dps meters espically week after week in guild raids or whatever. But i've always believed over all things would work out better without them (though it would get tougher to figure out who may be attacking the wrong thing, or not aoeing the adds etc etc without them)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Damage meters bring more good then bad.
    I'd contest that. They bring very little to the table beyond acting as yet another crutch to dumb things down. They also intrude upon the enjoyment of other players. Sure, I get annoyed when someone isn't pulling their weight...but I get more ticked off when someone spams what their damage is after every fight and then spews out 'umad' when asked to stop. A behaviour that has become increasingly common over the years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but no. PvE guilds don't require OMEN to join raids. The ones with any clue of what they're doing anyway. Mostly if a guild requires OMEN is like a legacy add-on from TBC. Threat is not an issue and has not been an issue since WOTLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    To be honest, ever since WotLK threat meters just don't matter anymore. Tanks have it easy.

edit: haha above poster said the same.

OT: I hope they add damage meters soon to SWTOR, I don't think it will be at release though as they have a problem with the combat log.

Damage meters can be bad for people thinking they are better than they actually are, but I like to get the max out of the classes I play and damage meters are needed for this.

I just hate how DPS meters usually stop people doing what they are meant to do in a fight and just try and top meters instead of helping the group.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2011-11-26 at 12:20 PM.

Deleted
    Not allowing addons and custom UI's would be a massive mistake. It's mind boggling that they are launching without those. Either they patch that in extremely fast after release or their PVE endgame will be essentially dead right from the get-go. And that will be a fatal blow while launching a new MMO.

It's just not enabled at the moment, since the devs said they've had some issues with it in the beta.
    This is far from the truth

If they do add a meter I hope its not that garbage that is recount, I hope its a program like ACTII
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Maybe without damage meters people will start doing something previously unheard of like looking at the fight or watching their surroundings. Meters have turned a great many players into number-tunneling baddies.
    If people are starring at dmg meters DURING combat that is their own fault. Blaming the meter for that is like blaming a speedometer for a car accident.

Attempting to control peoples behavior by limiting the tools avaible to them is not a good thing. Especially when they have the choice to use those tools or not. As well as decide if they want to group/talk/guild/ignore those fools who use them incorrectly.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-11-26 at 05:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm disappointed as hell if they add meters. Meters is probably the absolute worst thing to ever happen to MMOs. It forces people away from making the best choice or using the best utility in favor of sacrificing all for a few more damage.

I was really hoping they wouldn't add ANY addons (and this coming from an addon whore in WoW) because they just take away from the game and put people on unlevel playing fields. Oh well.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

I think its cute how terrible some of you people are.

The game is doomed without addons! nobody can raid without them HURRR!

Nevermind many mmos have raiding and people that do it well without addons... but the WoW generation cant even pick their nose without an addon telling them when to do it.

Damage meters are fine as long as people use them in a smart way.

Most people don't do this, however.

You are mistaken and are probably referring to the discussion on combat logs.

Combat logs have been turned off and are going to be turned on post launch, not a damage meter.

They will never have a damage meter as part of the game, they will simply allow combat logging so that it can be parsed either by

A. an outside parser such as ACT
    B. a player made add-on (once allowed) similar to recount ect.

Please try to make sure you know what you're speaking of before making claims.