Original Minecraft Alpha post.

Hey everyone, I just thought I would post this.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6273.0

That would be the original post that Notch made when he first made this glorious game playable, a page that should be archived throughout the history of the interwebs. I have read through a few pages of it, and I can just see how the game advanced over time. It's quite amazing.

Have fun

Haha, the game has come a long way since then.

That's quite interesting to read, thanks

Deleted
    yeah that was interesting thanks for posting

Look at his post a few posts down...

I plan on having several game modes: (copied and pasted from the blog)

Creative mode

You’ve got infinite materials and build without any delay. Can be played both as singleplayer and as multi player.
    You can share the maps with other players somehow. Perhaps just share the actual .level file manually?

Survival mode

Singleplayer / cooperative. You have a health bar and need to eat in order to keep healthy. You have to gather the materials you wish to use, and construction takes time. Mining through stone is slower than through dirt.
    Monsters, animals, play on levels made in Creative mode, or play on random levels.

Does this mode need a goal?

Team survival mode

Same as Survival mode, except players are divided into two or more teams.

Fortress mode

After having built a level in Creative or Survival mode, you and your friends connect to another fortress made by some other people. The map gets bigger so it fits both maps, and you play a game on this map. Perhaps Capture the Flag, perhaps something else

The last two modes will have weapons and fighting. Probably with arrows with proper physics, so you'd aim diagonally up towards whatever you want to hit.

The game engine was written from scratch in java. The visibility culling is very naive still, it just culls against the view frustum. I'd like to do some occlusion culling as well as that would really speed up the indoors areas.

The map is randomly generated.
    Team survival mode? DO WANT

I want a CTF mode that'd be cool

Fortress Mode sounds nice. Though, we could just make fortresses and have a block of diamond or something be the flag. Wouldn't be difficult. A lot of these things can be done now, you just have to be imaginative! \o/

Deleted
    Fortress mode, Gief gief gief!

Deleted
    the last 2 modes already sort of exist as vechs has made a CTW [capture the wool] map where 2 teams compete to steal 3 different wools from the enemy team.
    or race for wool where you are on a parallel line to the other team in an effort to find the wools in the map and take them back to your "victory monuments" with associated arrows+ Cannons being used to disrupt and kill the enemy.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...age__st__12900
    for a link to his thread