Why does the game treat extra mouse buttons differently than keyboard keys?

Hi there

I'm trying to bind middle mouse, mouse 4 and mouse 5 to action bar spots. Then I'm just dragging spells out of the spellbook (like Rejuvenation) into those spots, no macros. Problem is that if I hover over a unitframe and press those buttons I get nothing, no error message just nothing. If I drag the mouse away after clicking a unitframe and then press those buttons then the bind works fine. The keyboard keys don't have this problem, I can stay over a unitframe and press my bind and that works fine, so do my mouse scroll up and down binds.

I'm using a Razer Naga mouse, after using it for so long my right thumb hurts like a b!^ch, so I'm using it as a 5 button mouse for now. I've tried disabling my mouse software and same problem. Also trying a Logitech MX518 8 button mouse, same problem, the game treats generic mouse buttons differently.

So I'm curious as to what about the game makes the generic mouse buttons act differently. I already know how I can remedy this problem, by using my mouse software to rebind mid, 4 and 5 to act like keyboard keys, so the game won't be able to treat them like mouse buttons. But I'm still curious as to why this is, as I'm into wanting to know the details.

Deleted
    It doesn't, it's just that both keyboard and mouse input have to reach the WorldFrame to be effective. EditBox and similar keyboard-interactive widgets block keyboard input. Unit frames and other buttons block mouse input.

You can also use Clique to get around this issue.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator