Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

I think I may have outgrown BioWare

Yes, I could not get into SWTOR and I am now convinced that the problem lies with me and not the developer. I just seem to have outgrown the BioWare-type closed-down, cramped world engines. I will always love their stories, but more and more the lack of an open world is starting to wear on me. It started with Dragon Age I and got worse with every game of theirs since.

And now SWTOR feels like exactly the same type of single player BioWare RPG.

The game will be a huge success, but I am sad that I could not get into it at all. Have fun everybody!

Deleted
    As much as I love an open world due to being a massive fan of the RPG genre, I've long since reserved myself to the simple fact that we're just not going to see the same level of depth in an MMORPG as we can find in single player RPG's. With that said, I feel that SWTOR has a lot of potential. It may be linear to an extent, but it's less linear in terms of questing than many other MMORPG's currently on the market. If nothing else, it'll hopefully be a big step in the right direction!

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I will admit the worlds are not as open as I had hoped, and they do seem tiny compared to what the developers were saying. This was first experienced in Coruscant. I wanted to explore and fly around atleast 5% of the beautiful captail, but instead ended up walking everywhere. But I won't get all ranty and ragey at Bioware for it, they make great single player games, the Mass Effect series is still my favorite series of all time, and the third one is out next year. Can't wait.

My only problem with BioWare is that lately David Gaider's childish temper tantrums on the BioWare forums and engaging in troll-fights with the fanbase over what are genuinely confusing oversights in Dragon Age and Mass Effect are severely coloring my appreciation of the company.

Personal preference and all... But... the zones in TOR are so large, that I had jst as much explore space as WoW.
    Ferlion <level 85 Druid - Proudmoore>
    Formerly known as the Warlock Shadowsouled - Windrunner

Proud poster of the Story Forums. I got your faction wank right here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ruinshin View Post
    Personal preference and all... But... the zones in TOR are so large, that I had jst as much explore space as WoW.
    Not really, coruscant should be one of the largest areas in the game, but instead has 4 little zones that are on rails and the only exploration you get from the planet is on the Taxi rides.

Quote Originally Posted by ruinshin View Post
    Don't confuse the back drop for actually being accessible. There were some views in the game which I thought "amazing, its so huge" then when I try getting there many stay at the same perspective or are simply inaccessible because of terrain. Worse some cities/quest hubs seemed to be laid out so as to make you walk the longest distances as possible.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I think the game will do pretty well, but I couldn't get into it either. Hell, I couldn't get past level 11 and I was already bored by that point. Just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is that Starwars consists of countless "Azeroths" which they obviously couldn't all make. For me the Sw:ToR planets felt fine, you can look out over Coruscant and into space etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Not really, coruscant should be one of the largest areas in the game, but instead has 4 little zones that are on rails and the only exploration you get from the planet is on the Taxi rides.
    See, I disagree. It wasn't anything other than a stopping point for your story. It gave a nice feel of rundownedness, allowed people to see how hard the war hit the Republic.... but it wasn't a major point to me. It was big for atmosphere, not for local questing.
    Ferlion <level 85 Druid - Proudmoore>
    Formerly known as the Warlock Shadowsouled - Windrunner

Proud poster of the Story Forums. I got your faction wank right here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Yea, I will admit the worlds are not as open as I had hoped, and they do seem tiny compared to what the developers were saying. This was first experienced in Coruscant. I wanted to explore and fly around atleast 5% of the beautiful captail, but instead ended up walking everywhere. But I won't get all ranty and ragey at Bioware for it, they make great single player games, the Mass Effect series is still my favorite series of all time, and the third one is out next year. Can't wait.
    Both the starter worlds and the capital worlds are fairly linear, but once you get further on, into stuff like Tatootine, it really starts to open up a bit.

I got the feeling I was playing a single-player bioware RPG + chat, when I tried SWTOR this weekend. I do love bioware RPGs, but it's suppose to be a MMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoulz View Post
    I got the feeling I was playing a single-player bioware RPG + chat, when I tried SWTOR this weekend. I do love bioware RPGs, but it's suppose to be a MMO...
    The flashpoints are actually pretty entertaining. I started Friday and am about to hit 20. (Yes I'm addicted)

Also what Istaril said, the game opens up a lot after your starting world. For example, as SI I went from Korriban (Linear) to Dromund Kaas (A little less linear) and then finally I'm at Balmorra (Opening a lot more)

Deleted
    i.imgur.com/4v1JGl.jpg The small "thing" is coriban. Every 30+ Planet is nearly as big as hoth. Way bigger then every zone in wow.

Thats just the starting areas. At lvl 10 there are world-bosses on every planet, hidden bosses on planets 20+, at 10 flashpoints open up, at around 20 (nar shaddar and especially tat) you get tons of open pvp. Today we had a "gang-fight" in tat 16vsidk15-20 and it was awesome. Never had this in WoW since Classic TM vs SS and i almost forgot how much fun you can have during open pvp.
    The Single-rpg feeling are really just the starting areas believe me.

Deleted
    Areas open up alot at 25+ Tat/hoth and the others are bigger then any wow-zone.
    Also thats single-rpg-feeling is just the starting areas. Im currently level 45 and the game gets so damn good in story, content, zones, flashpoints....
    There are worldbosses on every planet 10+, at 10 flashpoints open up, pvp opens up, at 25+ (nar shaddar, tat,..) there is so much world pvp, hidden bosses are in almost every area (like a skull in the middle of nowhere, clicking it world boss appears..throwing you around).

Today we had a 16vsidk15-20 on our way to a world boss i never had so much fun in WoW since Classic SS vs TM we regrouped, camped, got zerged it was just awesome. Also had tons of open pvp in every other zone i leveled way more then i ever had in any other game.

Just can say that the game is good at the beginning (~level25) but at 30+ it just gets really awesome.

You sound so emo. The game is anything but cramped or small. You didn't even play much more than the tutorials if you think that's the case. World's like Tantooine are fucking huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard147 View Post
    You sound so emo. The game is anything but cramped or small. You didn't even play much more than the tutorials if you think that's the case. World's like Tantooine are fucking huge.
    I just got to Tatooine on my Sith Warrior today. I quit out though, because I want to save that planet for launch.

I'm the opposite, I can't get into any of that Oblivion/Morrowind open world stuff. It's not interesting, there's no companions, no interesting characters, just blah.

I don't see how people think it's single player, there's tons of group quests (maybe too many), flashpoints, warzones, and you run into people quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23 View Post
    I just got to Tatooine on my Sith Warrior today. I quit out though, because I want to save that planet for launch.
    That's what I'm planning haha.

What level were you when you went to Nar Shadda? 20?