Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    After beta weekend I finally made wow annual pass. SWTOR gets boring after 2 days. Consular questline on corusant - epic dullness with repeating quest plot for THREE times (get cube from bands x3).

It's harder to devote time to more than one MMO, because they are huge timesinks. That's their purpose. You don't fully experience an MMO unless you have dumped months and even years into it.

That's why there's so much loyalty and defensiveness (or fanboyism if you prefer), because people devote so much time and energy into it, they don't want to see it fail.

I was kind of feeling the same as you Klingers up until the beta stress test weekends. Once I actually got my hands on SW:TOR I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I might. There are alot of reasons I didn't quite care for SW:TOR but mainly I guess it was a good reminder that even big releases like this haven't had seven years to fully polish the game into a finely tuned machine.

Honestly the Annual Pass is a pretty sweet deal if you're enjoying WoW and were planning to pick up Diablo 3.

If you aren't interested in Diablo 3, and the other perks aren't worth much to you, why would you willingly accept a longer contract?

If you aren't even enjoying WoW... the answer seems clear to me.

Anyway, about SW:TOR:
    I get more excited the more I read about it. Especially the story aspect. I love the fact that I won't feel emotionally blackmailed into doing dailies or hitting a random flashpoint finder with 4 finely-honed examples of John Gabriel's GIFWT. I'm super excited to play a bounty hunter and have a jawa companion. I'm excited as anything about each character having their own unique storylines, and not being shoehorned into a single role for the whole game. Companions look awesome.
    Definitely try it out, just keep your eyes open and make sure you don't have expectations the game can't meet.

Unique stories, bounty hunters, jawa companions... awesome. Totally with you.

No dailies? No dungeon grind? Better community? We don't know _much_ about SW:TOR's endgame yet, but what we do know looks fairly similar to WoW's model.
    Last edited by Wyrmrider; 2011-11-28 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Removed needless harshness <3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlyworm View Post
    i signed up for the year long sub... and was thinking the same thing! What about SWTOR??

i played the beta this weekend... and am now glad i got the year long to WoW.

i played it for a while and gave it a fair chance... it felt cluncky and the graphics were not great, i DONT like cut scenes and good lord SW has a bunch of them ad nausium, i know some people like that... honestly it didnt hold my attention at all.

its not that im a fanboy... i REALLY liked rift... and gave that a huge go for months.

im sry to say that i think you will be bored with SWTOR in about 2 days.
    maybe you should avoid story driven mmos then because the cut scenes set up the story and i dont understand how people can say the game is clunky its a beta stress test the lag was due to having over 100k people on the servers testing this game is great i dont know why anyone would want to play wow over this wow lost its luster and i doubt it will ever regain it the next expac looks terrible from what i've read about it and lastly i dont see how you could get bored with SWTOR in 2 days sounds like you went in a wow fan boy who was closed minded

Honestly it sounds like a good deal if you still enjoy WoW and are planning on getting D3. Infact its a rediculously good deal from a company thats trying to hold on to their WoW subs for its dear life.
    Because thats what this is, WoW is on the decline and i think most people know it. Some fanboy here or there might deny it, but its obvious. So Blizzard is now comming up with deals to hold on to subscriptions. Clever from their side as this means someone will be playing WoW for a year and will also be buying MoP. Like a guarenteed number. Aswell as a guarenteed "sale" on D3.

But thats also to the advantage of the gamer. Think about it, how much is a year subscription? Well, im not sure so im just gona do 12*13euro, thats 156. Im sure itll be less as they tend to give discounts for longer periods. So lets take 150 as a number, probably a bit high anyway.

For that money you get D3 aswell, a game thats going to be 50euro's. Aswell as a mount that would no doubt otherwise be something like 15 euro's from their store. And you get to go into the next beta, cant really put a price on that. But basicly, for all the stuff you get, you're going to be playing WoW for half price. Not a bad deal for the WoW and D3 enthousiast.

As for your story, OP. Didnt your mommy ever teach you not to spend money carelessly? Werent really a whole lot of facts to be had. Did the "limited time offer" scare you or something? A limited time offer is hardly ever that. And its not like they suddenly shut it down, they'll atleast anounce "okay, you got 1 week left on this offer" or something. Right now, they just say limited time offer and dont actually give the limit. A cheap marketing trick that seems to work on most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    maybe you should avoid story driven mmos then because the cut scenes set up the story and i dont understand how people can say the game is clunky its a beta stress test the lag was due to having over 100k people on the servers testing this game is great i dont know why anyone would want to play wow over this wow lost its luster and i doubt it will ever regain it the next expac looks terrible from what i've read about it and lastly i dont see how you could get bored with SWTOR in 2 days sounds like you went in a wow fan boy who was closed minded
    More accurately some people just prefer different game experiences. There's no reason to call someone closed minded or a fan boy for having different preferences. From my perspective SW:TOR offers some good new features to the MMO experience, on the other hand it hasn't even been released and has close to a decade of refining to catch up on. Games simply can't be released fully balanced ready to rock with no bugs and with the capability of drawing in millions of players.

What I did enjoy about this beta weekend is the vantage point alot of players may have gained from seeing a title as big as SW:TOR in its infancy. We all get pretty worked up anytime there is even a minor flaw or questionable decision made in WoW, but to see a game that everyone has such high expectations for in such an undeveloped state reminds atleast myself that WoW is doing a pretty good job. I guess all we can do now is wait seven years or so and see how it plays out ^_^.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    sry if i didnt make myself clear...

1. this is totally a preference thing... i have been playing RPG's for a long time... sega? phantasy star anyone?? lol cut scenese are not a pre-req to RPG's. some people may like them. that is great... i dont and thought SW had to many of them.

2. talk about a fan boy.. i was a fan boy of starwars before wow... i still love it. i just dont think this game lives up to it.

3. i actually had no lag.. the clunkyness i was refering to was the game play. the actual mechanics... and unless they start from scratch i dont think this will change with time.

4. i do give other MMOs a chance.. if you would have read my post i quit wow to play rift for 6 months... i think rift at the core is prob a better game off the bat than wow... the graphics and gameplay of that game are great...

5. i was trying to stay on topic and say... if people like SW then great!! more power to yah... i was trying to tell the OP that in IMHO.. he will be glad he got the year pass cause i dont think SW is gonna live up to the hype...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    Goddamn. Dont you guys notice that there are people who know that SWTOR sucks and still play WoW?

Why do all think swtor is good? Read the reports after the NDA! Everyone who is not a total SW Fanboy says this game is boring! And WoW puts something fresh with the Patch and MoP.

I bet 90% of these people saying swtor is so awesome never played it in the beta before. Bugfest, 80% of the game cutscenes, boring gameplay, bad graphics. But no, its good, its awesome. And in WoW? Uldum sucks, too many coutscenes!! Bad graphics, cartoonish!!! Boring gameplay, only 30 different specs which are all different!!!
    wow fanboyism much ?
    swtor is a better game than wow ever was and ever will be(imo), suck it up wow fanb0y.
    its for a reason it only gets good reviews

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik View Post
    I really don't know why people would get sucked into that kind of commitment, especially since Blizzard has said after this patch there is no new content until the Panda expansion which doesn't seem very impressive.
    There's another content patch after 4.3 that will lead up to MoP. This means that MoP is damn near ready for beta testing. I didn't get sucked into anything I planned on playing WoW for a year anyways so why the hell not sign up for the 1 year deal and get D3 for free? I wish people would stop calling it the panda expansion also. Same shit was said about space goats when BC was announced, and it turned out to be damn near everyone's favorite expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't need another WoW vs SWTOR thread.