Page 1 of 3
LastLast

viable 2012 doomsday theory?

Now let me say that i am a skeptic about the whole 2012 thing BUT i ended up watching this... (at about 16:54)

i looked up the closest magnetar to us online and found a number for 9000 light years, what if that one belches up some Gama rays?
    discuss...
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by hayharut View Post
    Now let me say that i am a skeptic about the whole 2012 thing BUT i ended up watching this... (at about 16:54)

i looked up the closest magnetar to us online and found a number for 9000 light years, what if that one belches up some Gama rays?
    discuss...
    Well then the good news is you have 9000 years until any electromagnetic phenomenon from it will reach earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Well then the good news is you have 9000 years until any electromagnetic phenomenon from it will reach earth.
    If im not mistaken isnt light years the time it takes light to travel from one point to another?
    Im not sure with actual years has to do with light years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    If im not mistaken isnt light years the time it takes light to travel from one point to another?
    The distance that light waves travel in the span of a single year is one lightyear.
    @dA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleuh
    Since the invention of the internet, the Earth`s rotation has been solely propelled by english teachers turning in their graves.

From wikipedia: As defined by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), a light-year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one Julian year.[1]

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    a light-year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one Julian year.
    So It will take 9000 years, that light travels from there to here, because it's 9000 light-years away from us. Light has max speed (What we know now, that there may be faster thingies)
    (>^^)> Pandas

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    how do we know it hasn't done it yet? im no astronomy guy but i do remember that the star light we look at during the night is as old as the star is as far away from us in light years.
    Last edited by hayharut; 2011-11-28 at 08:12 AM.
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax

10+ Year Old Account
    End pf the world could mean MANY things. For instance i it IS true about teh 2012 thing it could just mean an end of the say economic world or a change in political structure on a global level so massive that the world will be so different that it basically"ended" and a new one began.

A light year is a unit of distance, not time.
    However if something was 9000 light years away and it was moving at the speed of light towards us, it would take 9000 earth years for it to reach us.

Deleted
    That Apocalypse is so hot right now...

And stop takin programs seriously when they're about "science" yet feel the need to add shitty computer effects for the extra 'umph".

Stop it. Now

Deleted
    afaik, a light year = distance travelled by light in 1 earth year

Magnetars will not, ever, off us because there aren't really any within a radius that would pose a problem to us. It is, very simply, too far away. The 'bubble' that it let off DID reach earth; it was made out of gamma rays rather than particles therefore traveled at the speed of light. In essence, because we detected it we already survived it. More likely are threats native to our solar system such as meteors, asteroids, or cataclysmic solar mass ejection (significantly, like magnitudes of magnitudes, smaller than the probability of the others)

I'm still confused why people think that because that civilizations calendar ended in 2012 it means that the world is going to end, meanwhile I can't even figure out what I'm going to do next weekend?

Maybe they assumed that in 1000 years someone would carve a new calendar?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I'm still confused why people think that because that civilizations calendar ended in 2012 it means that the world is going to end, meanwhile I can't even figure out what I'm going to do next weekend?

Maybe they assumed that in 1000 years someone would carve a new calendar?
    Its not even that, the calendar just starts over iirc. Basically that calendars equivalent of december 31st. Its the end of "the old era" which people are interpreting as an apocalypse. Actually its just "new years eve".

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    A more plausible situation than an apocalypse:

December 21, 1012:
    Mayan Emperor to Mayan Astronomer: Make me a calendar for the next 1000 years, here's some slaves to help out.
    Mayan Astronomer: Alright, 1000 years exactly?
    Mayan Emperor: Yes, 1000 years from today.

December 21, 2012:
    Nothing happens except the passing of 1000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Toziel View Post
    A more plausible situation than an apocalypse:

December 21, 1012:
    Mayan Emperor to Mayan Astronomer: Make me a calendar for the next 1000 years, here's some slaves to help out.
    Mayan Astronomer: Alright, 1000 years exactly?
    Mayan Emperor: Yes, 1000 years from today.

December 21, 2012:
    Nothing happens except the passing of 1000 years.
    true, and i am still skeptical about it.
    But hey, at least what i pointed out is still possible, though it would also be one hell of a disappointing Apocalypse.
    ~Hunter

~Paarthurnax

Deleted
    It might not be the end of the world, but its the end of civilized mankind when people start using the words 'viable' and '2012 doomsday theory' in one sentence.

Deleted

Honestly... The whole "LOL 2012 DOOMDAY WE'RE GONNA DIE HERP DERP" is just sad.

Deleted
    The only thing that will end in 2012 is 2012, we will move on to 2013.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Belching" magnetars are very common and can hit us from as far as over 50,000 ly. Earth has been hit by three magnetar bursts since they are capable of recording it. The magnetar in question, 1E 1048.1-5937 is a AXP type of magnetar meaning its an anomalous one. Also to actually cause serious damage a magnetar has to be less or equal three parsecs away from Earth. I think we are very safe
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!