Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    Now what? They will take away my child if it is too tall?

I completely disagree with this, I feel the story is not complete.

Are you kidding me?

The government has too much power. This shouldn't be happening.
    When I was 8 I weighed about 100-110 pounds which would be considered chubby. 200 pounds for an 8 year old isn't just chubby, its morbidly obese. They are putting his life in danger at that weight.

It should be determined by BMI so that tall kids aren't taken away mistakenly. Obese kids should be taken away though, their parents are killing them.

Good. Anyone who lets their child get like that is neglecting them, they shouldn't be having kids if they can't raise them.

Are you kidding me?

the kid is fat because the mother has no control over herself. being horrendously over weight is a health issue. the kid could die. its good the government took em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

damm 90 kilos... thats more than me... obviously bad parenting

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 02:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    It should be determined by BMI so that tall kids aren't taken away mistakenly. Obese kids should be taken away though, their parents are killing them.
    BMI isnt really accurate...

10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy

As usual the media only report the bare minimum of facts to cause some controversy toward an issue when there may be none there to begin with. I very much doubt that they just noticed he was severely obese and decided to put him in foster care straight away.

Such cases are usually brought to the attention of a doctor, who reports a concern about a child's welfare to child services, who then investigate. If there is a major issue then they will attempt to solve the issue by helping the family out, but if - in this case - the mother doesn't manage to improve the life of her child to a level that actually gives him a chance of living his life beyond his early teens, they are totally right to put the child in to foster care; at least in my opinion. They've worked in the best interests of the child here.

Are you kidding me?

Neglect doesn't cause a child to grow, and being too tall won't get you killed; unless you are 8 ft tall and it's causing medical complications, but it still won't be the parents fault and putting the child in to care wouldn't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/838...in-foster-care

An eight-year-old American boy who weighs more than 90 kilograms has been taken from his family and placed into foster care after social workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight.

The Plain Dealer newspaper reports that the Cleveland boy is considered severely obese and at risk for such diseases as diabetes and hypertension.

The case is the first state officials can recall of a child being put in foster care strictly for a weight-related issue.

Lawyers for the mother say the county overreached when authorities took the boy last week. They say the medical problems he is at risk for do not yet pose an imminent danger.

A spokeswoman says the county removed the child because caseworkers saw his mother's inability to reduce his weight as medical neglect.

So.....does every obsese child need to removed these days?
    Yes.

If we continue like this everyone is going to be a big fat fuck.

Whether or not taking from the family is the right thing to do or not? I am not a medical professional, but he weighs more than me and I am 22, I am 82-85 kilo's at best, well built (inbetween a rugby player and athletic). He is 8 years old, and weighs more than me. That's so ridiculous its sick and I think that is borderline child abuse, when you don't commit to sorting out your child who is in such a state.

Like I said, whether or not taking him from the family is the right choice :\ I don't know, I am not a medical professional so can't say whats best, but if this helps him get healthy then I find it necessary.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 01:52 PM ----------

Are you kidding me?

So the mother should be allowed to feed the kid until his heart stops from being too fat?

Okay.... <.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Very simple: Mother can't raise her kid, kid gets taken away.
    Sucks for the mother, but is the best for the kid.

I don't see this being any different than a mother malnourishing her child.

It must hurt to be separated from your mother, but at least he'll have a chance at a future. At the rate he was going he would've ended up bedridden and unable to take care of himself, that has to be one of the saddest existences.

I wonder what cereal will be pulled off the market now after the mother claims it made her kid fat. I really like how society has to pay by having food removed because parents refuse to take responsibility for their (in)actions.

It's not like the mother won't be able to see him... it just means that the responsibility for his care has been handed to someone who can do it properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    I wonder what cereal will be pulled off the market now after the mother claims it made her kid fat. I really like how society has to pay by having food removed because parents refuse to take responsibility for their (in)actions.
    didnt they make a law that said that you cannot sue food companies for making you fat after that Supersize Me movie?

Deleted
    pff... you need to stay in shape....

Well something must be wrong with the kid as well, something in his body should be telling him to stop eating at a certain point....

Although the parents should not have let things get this far, I feel like the boy probably has medical condition that is contributing to his weight problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Well something must be wrong with the kid as well, something in his body should be telling him to stop eating at a certain point....

Although the parents should not have let things get this far, I feel like the boy probably has medical condition that is contributing to his weight problem.
    If you give a kid unrestricted access to ice-cream, soda, chips and junk-food they aren't going to turn it down.
    8 year olds are hardly the pinnacle of self control and nutritional knowledge.
    Kids don't think of future consequences, they think of there here and now. And here and now that pizza and coke tastes baller'.

10+ Year Old Account

Many people think that fat people just eat large quantities of food, but I think it's more down to the fact that food in a normal serving can contain massive amounts of saturated fat, so you don't have to eat much to put on weight. Your body doesn't tell you to stop once you've hit you RDA of saturated fat if the quantity of food in your stomach isn't fulfilling your hunger. Maybe the mother was just buying loads of really shitty foods, rolling it all up in a ball and deep frying the lot or something.

There's many ways a person can become overweight, and just eating lots of food isn't necessarily the only way (though any food in massive quantities will make you gain weight)

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Many people think that fat people just eat large quantities of food, but I think it's more down to the fact that food in a normal serving can contain massive amounts of saturated fat, so you don't have to eat much to put on weight. Your body doesn't tell you to stop once you've hit you RDA of saturated fat if the quantity of food in your stomach isn't fulfilling your hunger. Maybe the mother was just buying loads of really shitty foods, rolling it all up in a ball and deep frying the lot or something.

There's many ways a person can become overweight, and just eating lots of food isn't necessarily the only way (though any food in massive quantities will make you gain weight)
    So basically he eats pizza, fried chicken, ice cream, and burgers every day? That's pretty gross

When will people learn that healthy food can taste good. People need to learn how to cook properly...

When there's an imminent risk of death or irreversible problems, the parents are deemed to be the cause, and they have done nothing to change it, then it's neglect. This applies to a lot more things than being overweight, by the way. The only reason anybody is in a fuss about it is because there's no precedent, and weight's a touchy issue. Once a kid, not old enough to be choosing his own food let alone buying it, is considered morbidly obese, that's when somebody needs to step in.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2011-11-28 at 03:22 PM.

Off topic, but did anyone notice this one at the bottom of the page lol:http://news.ninemsn.com.au/viralvacu...h-teen.glance?

On topic, I'd have to say I have mixed feelings on the issue. On the one hand, as far as I can tell this woman allowed her son to become morbidly obese. Not only allowed, but contributed to it. By refusing to do anything about the problem, she is willingly putting her son's health and even life at risk. Now I didn't read the entire article, but imo there should have been some sort of effort made to make the mother work with the boy to bring his weight down before he was removed from the home. Had she refused or had there been no improvement in the boy's weight within a reasonable amount of time, then yes, I think removing him from the home is probably the best for his well being.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically he eats pizza, fried chicken, ice cream, and burgers every day? That's pretty gross

When will people learn that healthy food can taste good. People need to learn how to cook properly...
    As Dicedice said, it's pretty much down to the parent to ensure the child eats healthy food at 8 years old, so it's likely the mother was just feeding him that crap constantly indeed. You learn about healthy food from your parents and the child in this case was learning all the wrong things it would seem.