Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Im curious if the mother is obese herself.

But yeah i would consider that a form of abuse, anyone seen that movie "Precious"? Girls mother basically forced her to eat lots of bad food. As others have said, you really have to make an effort to make a child that fat, barring any medical conditions.

Rediculously slippery slope.

First gov comes to take your overweight child, next step, what constitutes overweight? Maybe the gov is afraid that your home schooled child is being taught not to trust police officers or the government and wants to take them.

Ultimately I think there will be a positive outcome of this particular case, but it certainly sets a bit of a dangerous precedent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine
    First gov comes to take your overweight child, next step, what constitutes overweight?
    Well I'm not a doctor but I'd say 90KG at age 8 is pretty fucking overweight.

As a father I notice more other families around me when out. When the parents are fat the kids are fat.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It seems extreme, but an 8 year old kid weighing 200 pounds is also extreme.

This kid is way too young to of done this to himself, the mother should be the one to step in and not let her child become fat that its going to threaten his lively hood. There is obviously some form of neglect coming from the mother here and it should be delt with appropriately. The most important thing is the kids health.

I feel bad for the kid. For being overweight at such a young age and having to go through the emotional strain of being taken away from your mom and put into a home full of strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Rediculously slippery slope.

First gov comes to take your overweight child, next step, what constitutes overweight? Maybe the gov is afraid that your home schooled child is being taught not to trust police officers or the government and wants to take them.

Ultimately I think there will be a positive outcome of this particular case, but it certainly sets a bit of a dangerous precedent.
    im not so sure about that, children are already taken away if their parents beat them or starve them or mentally abuse them.. It could very easily be argued that this is a form of physical and mental abuse.

I have mixed feelings on this one.

A: Foster care really reallly reallly sucks. I was in and out of Foster care for five years and never once got in a home that was better than my own.

B: Healthy foods are expensive as hell, and thats the real issue I believe. If it's 5X cheaper to eat McDonald's and other shitty foods than fruits and veggies, guess what the majority are going to buy? The cheap shit. Solution? Lower the prices on the healthy foods or increase taxes on high carbs/high sat fat items or especially items with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I don't think CPS made this decision lightly due to the political implications that this could bring about. 200 lbs at 8 years old is a serious issue. However, taking him away may not have been the best thing for this child. And while the parents are partially to blame for the child's weight, EVERYONE has self control over how much they eat, and what they eat. I at 8 years old ate more veggies than anything else, I requested them from my parents and guess what, they bought the damn things.

Do think the mother is solely to blame and should be made a social pariah? Hell no, it's crap that people think that. And no not every obease person child or not should be subjected to government intervention because Big Brother thinks it's best.

As mentioned previously, it's a dangerously slippery slope they've started. First it's weight, then it moves to violent video games/music, then to what you read, then to what you wear. It's opening a box that shouldn't be opened. my two cents here.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there are two things I'm not, it's pro-government and skinny.

That said, OP doesn't mention height, etc. If he is 200lbs @ 5'6", that's fat, but no biggie. If he's average height, he's 4x above average weight, and that's child abuse.

Honestly, you don't need much of an education to know that salad greens = skinny and fried anything = fat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    That's absolutely disgusting.
    I very much doubt that a medical condition is causing his obesity, I've no doubt that Social Services (or whatever the American equivalent may be called) have been monitoring the child's case for a long time - despite what some might think, kids aren't removed from their parents' homes on a whim.
    I can't wrap my head around how the child's mother could have allowed it to happen - it's not that difficult to put a lock on a cupboard if (for example) the child is sneaking to the kitchen at night to binge without the mother's knowledge.

It's dangerous neglect, plain and simple. She is killing her child. Quite right in my eyes to remove a child from such a harmful environment.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Using an average height of 3 feet 9 inches for an 8 year old boy, this guy has a BMI in the range of 60-70. Seeing as Obesity starts at 30+, this kid is beyond obese. Granted, I don't know the height of this boy but his BMI probably isn't far off from this value.

God DAMN.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    If you give a kid unrestricted access to ice-cream, soda, chips and junk-food they aren't going to turn it down.
    8 year olds are hardly the pinnacle of self control and nutritional knowledge.
    Kids don't think of future consequences, they think of there here and now. And here and now that pizza and coke tastes baller'.
    I can't agree with this enough. Junk food was a treat when I was growing up, that I got once in a blue moon, not a staple diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    8 year old kid weighs more than a typically overweight adult, a few things need to be done.

Overweight adult male is 200 pounds to you lol? I mean yeah 200 pounds is ridiculous as a 8 years old. But thats not overweight for any male adult thats over 6 foot tall or more.

On topic, good call. Its the reversal of malnourished kids and should be threated as such.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2011-11-28 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/838...in-foster-care

An eight-year-old American boy who weighs more than 90 kilograms has been taken from his family and placed into foster care after social workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight.

The Plain Dealer newspaper reports that the Cleveland boy is considered severely obese and at risk for such diseases as diabetes and hypertension.

The case is the first state officials can recall of a child being put in foster care strictly for a weight-related issue.

Lawyers for the mother say the county overreached when authorities took the boy last week. They say the medical problems he is at risk for do not yet pose an imminent danger.

A spokeswoman says the county removed the child because caseworkers saw his mother's inability to reduce his weight as medical neglect.

So.....does every obsese child need to removed these days?
    I think neglecting your child's health is a form of abuse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    Honestly, you don't need much of an education to know that salad greens = skinny and fried anything = fat.
    there's a professor who got fed up with that statement, so here you go:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/1...sor/index.html

it was a good decision, that kid was(is) risking to die 90kilos @8 ys old is way too much

I think I have to agree here. It's awful for the child to have to lose his family, but really? I'm 6'4" and I only weigh a little more than an eight year old? That's just wrong. I think it would be smarter to have a social worker start working with him and his family on better eating habits and what not, rather than taking him away, but something had to be done. Amazingly enough, most children don't want to be overweight, they just don't know enough to control it.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

Deleted
    i think thats justified, if an 8year old has got that size, he clearly wasnt being looked after properly. seems like an incompetent parent, who feeds their kid that much and wouldnt encourage some sort of exercise to keep them healthy, surely every parent wants their children to be at least someone healthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by feigning
    I think it would be smarter to have a social worker start working with him and his family on better eating habits and what not, rather than taking him away, but something had to be done.
    Contrary to popular belief social workers don't just swoop in and steal children away.

The family has obviously been notified previously and nothing has been done about the boy's weight.

They're slowly killing their child through neglect.
    Sometimes enough is enough and action needs to be taken if no agreements can be made.

Deleted
    I read about this in my country's newspaper and it also said that for a year now they've been trying to teach the mother how to handle this and she wouldn't colaborate.

And this is justified. She was basicly going to kill him very soon. Hell this is probably one of the worse cases of child abuse.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2011-11-28 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update: the Indianapolis Colts just signed the child to a 4 year contract to play outside linebacker.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.