I know there will not be a realid but,....

What about something like how guild wars had? Or at least what i vaguely remember it had. Where friends lists and guild membership were based on accounts instead of individual characters. I don't really want that with guild membership though. Just maybe something implemented with the legacy system where your friends are associated with the surname they end up choosing. Kind of a keep it in the family vibe.

That was my only concern during beta. Me and a few friends I play with are notorious for having many characters at once and its a pain to chat especially when we are cross faction. I know we could just use aim or something, but it would certainly be more convenient to just be able to talk in game no matter which character we were playing. I'm sure people could argue that cross faction friend lists would be bad, but my desire to converse with friends trumps my RP factor. I'm sure some would agree with that while others don't. Both sides are valid there.

To me that strikes a balance between ease of building relationships/friendly rivalries and keeping the privacy that realid kind of destroyed.

So thoughts, opinions, flames....go!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of using the Legacy system to incorporate this. But imho after real ID was out for awhile I hated it. Sometimes I just want to log in, maybe a completely different server/character and do my thing without anyone knowing I was online (think when you play hookie from work). But I didnt want to be a jerk and tell my friends "I dont want to give you my real ID friend so I can hide from you".

Or you could just play the same server and faction as your friends?

Use ventrilo/skype to chat?

Personally i hate the id of real id and always have. This is a new game, coordinate the servers you're going to play on, its pretty straightforward.

good point. hmm maybe have a hide option or invisible mode? think i used to do that with some people on aim back in the day

well me and my friends will be on the same server. so thats a non issue there. the faction thing is the issue. and a lot of times vent and skype wont work since there tend to be sleeping significant others to think about among other things. so to me its always been writing in chat so to me the option isnt a horrible idea. If people dont like to use it they dont have to, but its there for other to utilize if they want. I can certainly respect and see others angles on hating it though. just dont always agree =D
    Last edited by Braonie; 2011-11-28 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Sometimes I just want to log in, maybe a completely different server/character and do my thing without anyone knowing I was online (think when you play hookie from work). But I didnt want to be a jerk and tell my friends "I dont want to give you my real ID friend so I can hide from you".
    This is exactly what I hated about it.