Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fear of roleplaying.

So I've been 'RP'ing in-game since around late 2005, and there's a problem I have that keeps popping up. I get deathly anxious trying to walk up to someone, in-game, and start any sort of conversation. I sorta just keep myself at a distance for half an hour to an hour, trying to work up the courage to go'n type something, and then run off somewhere secluded.

It's rather troubling since every so often, I get the hang of it again, but then go for long dry spells and come back to being a total wuss. I have trouble getting my foot back in the door again.
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2011-11-23 at 05:31 AM.

I sometimes just go in totally IC. I don't actually care if they are having a OOC-planned thing going on, since that's what my character would do ICly. I find OOC stuff such as chat and metagamed meetings immersion-breaking.

When I'm unsure, I might also whisper said person if it's okay to join.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I sometimes just go in totally IC. I don't actually care if they are having a OOC-planned thing going on, since that's what my character would do ICly. I find OOC stuff such as chat and metagamed meetings immersion-breaking.

I'm totally IC when I try, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Vorticough View Post
    I'm totally IC when I try, so...
    Then go for it. There's nothing stopping you.

Then go for it. There's nothing stopping you.
    Except the fear of actually doing it.

Honestly man, I can't think of anything else than "just go for it". I understand where you're coming from, I've been there. It sucks, and just like any other fear, you sometimes just have to jump into the perverbial deep end. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I think that may be the best advice anyone can give you.

Just jump right in. I've been roleplaying online since about 1998 I believe? Gradually you get over the fact of just jumping in and going for it. It just takes time and doing it.
    Last edited by thefinalwarden; 2011-11-22 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Getting my years mixed up

10+ Year Old Account
    The only roleplayers that would deny you, are arseholes. Unless it is a guild meeting, or something more personal, I don't see a problem! You're never going to overcome your fear unless you actually try.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

I have no idea what your talking about.. by that I mean I have always wondered what RP realms are about or what the difference from normal pve realms are.
    What do the acronyms stand for? thanks for any insight anyone can provide

I was in the same position when I started out. Everyone seemed to know everyone else, everyone seemed to be so into it, I didn't wanna jump in and screw up.

If you can't join a RP guild, I'd suggest just starting out with someone sitting on a bench. Something small. You don't have to jump right into a legendary RP storyline, just a "hello" will suffice. Walk around, walk into buildings, forget the inns cause they are usually full of trolls. After you get comfortable with the basics, go for 2 people standing around. If they aren't talking in PMs it's usually an open RP, or they'll tell you "sorry closed RP"

Walk into trainer areas, a lot of people gather there for RP elements.

So yeah, start small, don't worry! Everyone is RPing for the same reasons, cause it's fun!

And don't hit alt+f4 if you get scared and mess up (likeme ;_; )
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Dewragg View Post
    I have no idea what your talking about.. by that I mean I have always wondered what RP realms are about or what the difference from normal pve realms are.
    What do the acronyms stand for? thanks for any insight anyone can provide
    IC means "in character", as in you are behaving in the game world the way your character would, based on his or her personality. If you are IC, you're roleplaying.

OOC means "out of character", as in you are behaving like yourself and not actually roleplaying.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    thanks madgod for the info ! sounds kinda fun actually.. I just may have to check one out soon.

Alright. I'll give it a shot again sometime. God knows there's not much for me to do nowadays.

Deleted
    Well, being on a low-population RP realm and all I don't often get to see spontaneous RP.

HOWEVER!

I've recently (OOC-ly) joined an awesome guild that's basically a bunch of outcasts that work on the fringe of Horde society. I've begun playing out smaller events with the other members, you know, meeting them by chance, talking to their shaman, that sort of thing. Supposedly it'll lead to me joining them IC too.

So really the best advice I can give is twofold: get a good RP guild, and stick to your character's story. Mine's not exactly in a talkative mood what with being kicked out the Kor'kron and all, so I keep that in mind. She's also done some stupid things the Horde doesn't know about. This means that I'll only chat with others if really necessary and even then I'll try to keep some things to myself (by now most of the guild knows not all I tell them IC is necessarily true).

As for approaching random people, I advise you to ask beforehand. They may be waiting for someone else they're planning on RP-ing with (which is pretty much the norm on smaller realms).

Another good idea is monitoring the official realm forums for RP events. The Sha'tar EU for example hold this cool lecture session thing every two weeks in Dalaran, and the last one (which I attended) culminated in some awesome IC chats.

Oh yeah, recently the RP has been a tad sleepy on most realms, but winter-time generally sees a jump in quantity. So maybe this'll be a good time to make some new IC friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorticough View Post
    Except the fear of actually doing it.
    But why be afraid? What's the worst that could happen?

Deleted
    I get the same thing man. It's better with friends or otherwise people I already know pretty well, but with strangers or a new guild it's hell. Reason I'm not in any RP guilds anymore.

Do you get the same thing irl by any chance?

Treat it like real life, with a simple "Excuse me" if you walk too close, or a standard greeting of "Hello there, how are you today?" Alternatively, you can persuade them to make an opening greeting by emoting or talking to yourself. Finally, you can simply OOC whisper them and inquire as to if they're interested in starting a little improvisational RP.

The surest way of getting nowhere, though, is by doing nothing.

Deleted
    I don't see why people hate roleplaying if you enjoy it, go ahead!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Is this in-game, table-top or "larp"?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann