Imperial Sniper or Sith Assasin

Been playing the whole weekend and having trouble deciding which class to rolll... couldnt get my sith inquisitor to lvl 10( lvl 9) cuz of the bug... and got my sniper to lvl 16....sooo basicly my question is pros and cons for both Assasin and Sniper... and for those who tried it any constructive info would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Smeaxycore View Post
    Been playing the whole weekend and having trouble deciding which class to rolll... couldnt get my sith inquisitor to lvl 10( lvl 9) cuz of the bug... and got my sniper to lvl 16....sooo basicly my question is pros and cons for both Assasin and Sniper... and for those who tried it any constructive info would be nice
    What bug are you referring to? Personally I am going Sniper first, I love the cover mechanic and the burst potential you have as a Sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodchargedIllidan View Post
    What bug are you referring to? Personally I am going Sniper first, I love the cover mechanic and the burst potential you have as a Sniper.
    The bug that will load to 50%( loading Screen) and go back to the Character Selection menu

Deleted
    Sith Assassin, to put it simply, is sneaky sneaky stabby stabby. They have stealth, they have hard hitting openers, tools to stay in melee, and escape if needed, as well as stuff like knockbacks.

The IA Sniper is basically your ultimate defense class however. Put them at a chokepoint with their portable cover, and people will have a VERY difficult time getting past them / surviving unless they have stealth. The IA Sniper cannot be CCed whilst in cover, they have a damage reduction whilst in cover, they're immune to knockbacks whilst in cover. They have a hard hitting ability that also knocks back, they have a cover pulse which knocks back if people get to close; they have a leg shot which can immobilize for, I believe, two seconds or five if no further damage is done to the target whilst immobilized.

Not to mention that they hit like a truck.

Their downside is a severe lack of mobility, so if you get snuck up on, you're in trouble.

That was my vague, poorly written opinion / review. Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

Their downside is a severe lack of mobility, so if you get snuck up on, you're in trouble.

Farther down the line they get a knockback and what looks like a hamstring sort of ability to help out with that

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Sith Assassin, to put it simply, is sneaky sneaky stabby stabby. They have stealth, they have hard hitting openers, tools to stay in melee, and escape if needed, as well as stuff like knockbacks.

The IA Sniper is basically your ultimate defense class however. Put them at a chokepoint with their portable cover, and people will have a VERY difficult time getting past them / surviving unless they have stealth. The IA Sniper cannot be CCed whilst in cover, they have a damage reduction whilst in cover, they're immune to knockbacks whilst in cover. They have a hard hitting ability that also knocks back, they have a cover pulse which knocks back if people get to close; they have a leg shot which can immobilize for, I believe, two seconds or five if no further damage is done to the target whilst immobilized.

Not to mention that they hit like a truck.

That was my vague, poorly written opinion / review. Thing.
    Actually i like your opinion ty.

Please keep it coming.

Also i forgot to mention im rolling pve(end game content Raiding)(not alot of pvp).

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, I'm in the same exact boat as you. These are the 2 classes I'm trying to decide on, as well. Actually, I was on my IA last night at level 10 and I spent at least 15 minutes trying to decided between sniper or operative. Finally went sniper.

I think I'll probably roll a sniper first, play the hell out of it and then an assassin later on for the times when i feel like i need a break from ranged damage. I'm a big melee fan, anyways...

Played the Sith Assassin this weekend to 24 and loved it. It's a very versatile class and the mix of stealth, melee, and casting attacks make it feel more like a Force user than by going with more pure melee (Sith Warrior) or caster (Sorceror advanced class) alone.

The bug that will load to 50%( loading Screen) and go back to the Character Selection menu
    That wasn't a bug, you weren't allowed to continue playing a character you had from a previous beta testing weekend invite.

It was a bug, you were allowed to play previous characters. You just have to keep trying to log in over and over, sometimes took me 10 minutes to get back on when I got kicked off.

That wasn't a bug, you weren't allowed to continue playing a character you had from a previous beta testing weekend invite.
    Well that rly odd... cuz i was allowed to play my lvl 18 warrior from last beta. and bioware said they were investigating the issue(wat u say is true... why would they act like if it was a bug... and also new caracters from this weekend were affected

Let go back to the Main topic TY

Not true. My lvl 14 Consular was bugged, but 3 other chars I made from the previous weekend beta were playable.

Imperial Sniper or Sith Assasin ... keep the opinions coming

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imperial Sniper or Sith Assasin ... keep the opinions coming
    Not sure what aspect of the game you're looking at; but I've written a tanking overview of the Assassin/Shadow here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Sith-Assassin)

Just to add, the sith assassin isn't all about big hits. The talent trees are very different and use different techniques.

The first talent tree uses high hitting abilities and stealth, you have backstab as your main ability which hits hard and you also have the technique that instantly hits for a good chunk of damage.
    The second DPS talent tree has a mixture of medium hitting abilities and damage over time effects, so the play styles are actually very different depending on which you want to play.
    Last edited by Hulari; 2011-11-29 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The correct answer will always be "whichever you enjoyed playing more".

If you enjoyed them both equally, then I'd go with Assassin because they have the option to go tank and get into a flashpoint group instantly.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Jukex View Post
    It was a bug, you were allowed to play previous characters. You just have to keep trying to log in over and over, sometimes took me 10 minutes to get back on when I got kicked off.
    Wrong, it was a bug that happened to new characters too. From my experience, it happened only yo people who was invited to previous BETA (not confirmed, empirical data only) but it happened with new chars as well as old ones.

In the sniper vs assasin topic, it all goes to what you want more, melee or ranged and how important is the ability to have a tank off spec.

I've played nothing but Sniper but I love it and will be leveling that at release. I imagine not all will like it though. It does require some strategy, especially in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    Not sure what aspect of the game you're looking at; but I've written a tanking overview of the Assassin/Shadow here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Sith-Assassin)

Just to add, the sith assassin isn't all about big hits. The talent trees are very different and use different techniques.

The first talent tree uses high hitting abilities and stealth, you have backstab as your main ability which hits hard and you also have the technique that instantly hits for a good chunk of damage.
    The second DPS talent tree has a mixture of medium hitting abilities and damage over time effects, so the play styles are actually very different depending on which you want to play.
    Ty for your input Carebear... was looking for dps not tanking...i guess ill go with the first spec hard hits

ty for every1's opinion ill go assasin and not sniper( maybe first alt ) ty alll