10+ Year Old Account

anyone find themselves accidentally role playing?

may seem like a weird question, but i realized about 12 hours in i that i had set rules for my bounty hunter, once i accepted a job, i would see it through the way it was asked to be done, no matter what, i refused to work with any slavers, and a few other minor things, was just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so, thats pretty cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Trollsbane, Jedi sodomist.

Deleted
    thats the best part about SWTOR imo

Deleted
    yeh it's awsome, the only thing that bothered me slightly Is that I was collecting light side points soo I couldnt bump ppl off even if I wanted too

Deleted
    It isn't roleplaying just because you decide to follow a line for your character. I decided from the start I will be good, and will do anything to do the "right thing" in that game with my character. I don't consider that roleplaying untill I start talking in chat to others like I'm really living my character.

Roleplaying =/= choosing a path for character progression

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Roleplaying =/= choosing a path for character progression
    Roleplaying = Playing a Role. Roleplaying != Being an Amateur Thespian, though the latter is a part of the roleplaying umbrella.

Unless you think all the folks who started the RPG trend weren't 'really' RPing. They often used third person saying things like 'My character will leap forward'... and so on. Third person, playing a role but not posing 'as' the character. Third person mindset is just as valid.

I agree 100%. Have been role playing since tabletop decades ago (as well as in many online games, both MMO and otherwise) and you do not have to be an actor to be a role player. You also don't have to interact with people in chat or whatever "in character" (though people can certainly do that). As long as you are playing the role of your character in the game, in a way that immerses you in the game world, you are role-playing.

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    yeh it's awsome, the only thing that bothered me slightly Is that I was collecting light side points soo I couldnt bump ppl off even if I wanted too
    What purpose do the points serve besides look change ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, definitely am roleplaying in the sense that I am sticking to a certain personality for my character. That role doesnt affect how I talk to players mind you, but it does affect my choices. Was very odd when I realised I was doing this about 2 days into the first weekend beta. Becoming self aware is always odd though.
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

Quote Originally Posted by Reparator View Post
    What purpose do the points serve besides look change ?
    Vendors in the game sell several items that are available exclusively to characters above a certain light/dark side level. If you tend to stay neutral or near neutral, these items may not be available to you, although similarly powerful items are available through other means.
    Currently, in addition to that, red color crystals are only available below light side 2 and blue color crystals are only available below dark side 2. This, of course, doesn't include weapons that come pre-fitted with a red or blue color crystal.