Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc on Warlord Zon'ozz (DS10)

Anyone else finding Discipline a little underwhelming for the Warlord fight? We had about 10 or 11 wipes before we finally killed it with seconds left on the enrage timer and my mana pool down from 141k to 1k. I healed the fight with a resto druid and holy paladin but we all seemed to struggle with the amount of aoe damage in the transition phases as well as the dispel damage during the ball phase. It came down to perfecting a rhythm of PoH casts along with some smart usage of cooldowns while our paladin sat in the melee camp casting holy radiance on the tanks. But even when we got the rhythm down, our kill was total RNG luck with powerful crits.

I reforged all of my mastery into haste to put myself around 18% haste unbuffed just to speed up my PoH casts to keep up with the damage.

Am I missing something on this fight? I am 379 ilvl/AA spec and didn't even come close to experiencing this much heart ache doing 4/7 firelands HM. By the time his hp reaches around 5%, my mana is nearly gone and all mana cooldowns have been used ... I don't have a log of my encounters sadly but I can tell youAtonement, PoH, PW:S, PoM and Penance were the only spells I used aside from my cds. GHeal just didn't seem like an efficient use of mana when I knew I'd be tearing through it in the transition phases. I'm considering dropping soul warding for 2 points in veiled shadows just so I get two shadowfiends in the fight.

Typically, we would bounce the ball back and forth three times then let it hit. Should we have bounced it more? Anyone else experiencing this trouble as discipline on the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by luckybeer View Post
    Anyone else finding Discipline a little underwhelming for the Warlord fight? We had about 10 or 11 wipes before we finally killed it with seconds left on the enrage timer and my mana pool down from 141k to 1k. I healed the fight with a resto druid and holy paladin but we all seemed to struggle with the amount of aoe damage in the transition phases as well as the dispel damage during the ball phase. It came down to perfecting a rhythm of PoH casts along with some smart usage of cooldowns while our paladin sat in the melee camp casting holy radiance on the tanks. But even when we got the rhythm down, our kill was total RNG luck with powerful crits.

I reforged all of my mastery into haste to put myself around 18% haste unbuffed just to speed up my PoH casts to keep up with the damage.

Am I missing something on this fight? I am 379 ilvl/AA spec and didn't even come close to experiencing this much heart ache doing 4/7 firelands HM. By the time his hp reaches around 5%, my mana is nearly gone and all mana cooldowns have been used ... I don't have a log of my encounters sadly but I can tell youAtonement, PoH, PW:S, PoM and Penance were the only spells I used aside from my cds. GHeal just didn't seem like an efficient use of mana when I knew I'd be tearing through it in the transition phases. I'm considering dropping soul warding for 2 points in veiled shadows just so I get two shadowfiends in the fight.

Typically, we would bounce the ball back and forth three times then let it hit. Should we have bounced it more? Anyone else experiencing this trouble as discipline on the fight?
    I did the fight last night, as Disc SoS spec. My other two healers where Holy Paladin and a Resto Shaman. I think the most important thing here is the number of bounces the raid does; we found that 5 total (3 hits on ranged 2 hits on melee) worked perfectly and killed the boss in three tries.

Just in case you are wondering, my avg ilvl is 381 and i prioritize mastery over haste.

Hope this helps.

Our dedicated disc placed 4th on that fight. Very out of character, it's usually rare for anyone to outparse her. Yeah, disc mastery isn't going to be very good for ping-pong, but neither is holy mastery. Both masteries work perfectly while he's drinking, and that's the important part.

Deleted
    Atonement specced disc priest here, we just killed 4/8, everything on first pull, no PTR experience. I found disc to be perfectly fine here, I did 22k hps, and had about 3/4 mana left when we killed it. Disc mastery is amazing here, my Divine Aegis is over 30% of my healing done...

I cannot post links, so...
    www (.) worldoflogs (.) com reports/a04omwuf07agi3jg/sum/healingDone/?s=1467&e=1780

Thanks! I guess I jumped the gun going from mastery to haste for this fight. Ill go mastery heavy next week and see how that fares.

I went with a very haste-heavy build and finished at 20k HPS (all 3 healers were at 20k), no mana problem at all. Get more int and rapture more IMO.

I found Zon'ozz one of the easier fights to be healed. I'm a 10m Disc healer as well, and I healed the ranged group (we made sure to split up the parties well, so I only needed to PoH my ranged group and could ignore melee). I remember my recount showing me doing 24k on average (though 22k by the end of the fight since I died. It was a messy kill since the ball decided to hit someone instead of the boss and it just kept bouncing for a while), but WoL begs to differ: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2391&e=2669
    Majority of my healing was just from PoHing and Aegises from it. I found the AoE healing phase when stacked up to be extremely underwhelming and doing a lot less damage than I expected to be completely honest.

I'm 387 equipped, specced into AA/A, Haste > Mastery > Crit, and I run with a Holy Pally and Resto Druid.

We 2 healed the first four except for Zonozz. We put several wipes in on 2 heals but were having tank deaths and 1 shot it as 3 heals.

www (.) worldoflogs (.) com/reports/gzem972gr2qodnbc/sum/healingDone/?s=5403&e=5685

22.5k hps
    DA is my top Heal.
    Using Haste>Crit>>>Mastery
    Running 1250 spirit, and ended the fight with above 50% mana left.
    We were doing 7 bounces, but we'll probably 2 heal next week with 5 bounce sets.

DA is really good for this fight because there is reliable damage every 7-8 seconds which makes sure most of the DA's get used up.

I usually play disc as my offspec when we 3 heal bosses, and therefore I'm not as experienced as other healers. I'm running with a crit build.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3...?s=2589&e=2877

I personally didn't find it too strenuous, dispels just need to be done fast, preferably not done simultaneously when the ball is about to collide and healer cooldowns for p2. we went barrier, tranq, aura mastery and it seemed to go well

Our biggest issues came from bouncing the ball too many times, and dispels not going out fast enough.

13/13M Jubei'thos - Oceanic 8th - US 53rd

25k Hps in this fight, ilevel 380.

Other 2 healers were Resto druids, they hardly did half of my healing done (altho they pretty facerolled the whole firelands).

Well dunno what happend but i'm healing like a boss since 4.3. Dunno.

(i'm sitting at 20.6% Raid buffed haste, 17.92 mastery. Yeah, i'm using my shadow spec gear.)

Hard to say what you were doing wrong with out logs :S

We two healed it disc priest + resto druid, and even managed the achievement of 10 bounces. I left the druid well behind with just short of 29.9k HPS vs his 22.9

10+ Year Old Account
    Just do more bounces, the more stacks he gets hit with the more dmg he will take during the aoe making the fight significantly shorter. we found that around 8 stacks the tank would be getting hit dangerously hard(boss stacks a buff on himself that resets with the transitions). But yeah just do a few more bounces and manage your raid cooldowns saving PI for every transition. I also see that you said tanks, meaning you two tanked it? We only used one, that a long with the low bounces was probably your main problem since you are missing a lot of dps there. 8 might be too high but we used hero on the 3rd collision and he died. As for your stats, I would say you still need a fair amount of haste for these fights but I wouldn't go much higher then what you are now so start concentrating on mastery now as crit you will mostly get from int.

and guys, no one cares about your HPS, just give the guy some advice or dont post at all. All this "AMG da fight is so eazy i do liek 25k hps" is annoying...
    Last edited by Whicker; 2011-12-01 at 09:28 AM.

Deleted
    To the OP, like people have said, try to get some more "bounces" through before each black phase. We aimed for 5, but due to stuff like people not getting the new mechanics and "oh the ball is actually really big", we ended up with 6-7 and even 8 more often than 5. Just make sure to coordinate with your tank so he/she won't get smashed.

Coordinate raid CDs with your other healers. I used Barrier, Hymn then Barrier was up again when he went down. We rotated druid Tranq and the paladin aura mastery, plus our DPS warrior use Rallying cry.

I also sat myself in melee since PoH is groupwide, it makes it easier to get full mileage out of PoH without possible range issues and you can smite and HF the boss without worrying about moving too much. Shield only the tank for Rapture if you are struggling.

If you are atonement, save the Evangelism buff and make sure to get full use of your Archangel during the AoE phase. If you have Jaws of Defeat, or any other on use trinkets, they may be useful too. Same goes for Power Infusion.

As background info, we downed him with 1 tank, 3 healers, rest DPS. I am running ilvl 383 with 2.5k spirit. Think all three healers were fairly equal in gear level and output, so no reason Disc should be better or worse than others here, I think. I can imagine standing at range may be harder than just sitting in melee tho.

Regarding haste vs mastery, DA is still a big chunk of healing here since the AoE phase is full of pulsing AoE where DA gets fully consumed almost all the time.
    Last edited by mmoc62da172ee0; 2011-12-01 at 11:21 AM.

Deleted
    As with most others we found that bouncing the orb 5 times ( 3 ranged 2 melee ) worked best though because it's a little buggy it often went right past the boss and hit the tank nearly always resulting in a dead tank.

Bugs aside though we ended up going with 3 healers Disc, Druid, Shaman, it's one of those fights that if everything goes as planned two healers is more then enough, but damn if that orb bounces more then 5 times the damage incoming on the tank is insane and you really need to be ready with cooldowns when it happens.

Also if this was the second boss you tried then the first boss is very miss leading in terms of difficulty, he is so easy it's already a single healer fight and mechanics wise it's a joke so going from him onto Zon'ozz is a big change in raid difficulty that can come as a surprise.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2011-12-01 at 05:49 PM.

So, I healed this on Tuesday with my Raid. I healed with a resto druid and a holy Pally. One thing that helped us was that the groups were set up so that the people taking the melee orb were all in one group in the raid frames and the people taking the ranged orb were all in the other group.

With this setup you can precast a PoH and it helps a lot. If you are acting as more of a raid healer this fight I would recommend switching to the PoH Glyph.

Rotating CD's in the Black phase is very important. What everyone else is saying is true too. Once you get the healing down the fight is pretty easy. We even got the achievement on Tuesday. GL with it

Deleted
    I played a resto druid and healed it with s disc + shaman. We put both the disc and shaman in mele.
    -shaman would just heal the mele guys when they bounced and heal the tank when the ranged were bouncing
    -priest would heal tank when mele bounced and then POH the ranged when they bounced (POh and agies were his top two at the end, but that might of been cause of the black phase :P)
    -I would just rejuv all the ranged / swiftmend on the bounce
    we dispelled nothing as the tick damage was less than my hots healed and was able to handle 9 bounces this way.

Overall healing had me and the shaman equal with the priest like 10% ahead of us both
    Last edited by mmocbd4889aa48; 2011-12-02 at 04:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by powersoul View Post
    Overall healing had me and the shaman equal with the priest like 10% ahead of us both
    You will notice that happen a lot in situations where 3 healers was 1 too many, what is happening is the raid is mostly topped off and the Disc is doing more healing via absorb because the other two healers healing is wasted on over heal and the rest is split evenly. So while the Druid and Shaman's HPS is topped off the Disc is still getting 100% from their absorbs making meters very bias towards disc in these situations.

Actually with that said it's most likely the situation where you only needed 2.5 healers as that fight does get very intense.

Yea the fight is definitely a mana drain. So time your Raptures. Putting range in 1 group and melee in another helps a lot. Hero on the 3rd transition worked best for us. We aimed for 5 orbs. usually got 7-8. Once you figure out the orb and transition it will be a lot easier.

Deleted
    Raided with a holy pally resto and me Disc i was the tank healer Pally the melee group healer and the Resto druid ranged group healer.
    I stood in the ranged group with resto druid , Pally in the melee group for his flashlight and stuff.

Pallys are good aoe healers now, the damage on the tank isnt hard its just sometimes the range (we killed him so next week i try to improve it).

We let the ball bounce 5 times, which worked wonder its either 5 or 7 (4th is melee and 6th is the melee group or boss depending on health).
    We have a pally tank, using painsuppresion first than the tank uses his CD on each 5th bounce but it felt not needed yet, next week we stretching it till 7 bounces as 5 was just save way for progression.

It wasnt hard to PoH the group thats going to be hit and healing the tank.

Dark Phase manage the CD's Barrier First 2nd one Pallys CD 3rd we used Tranq + hero and 4th was just a free bee CD usage, basicly we used everything as the boss only had between 5 and 10% health left. That was a Barrier Pally CD and Divine Hymn just because we could.

Power Infusion on the second Dark Phase worked best for me as barrier + Ghlyp and PoH glyph is petty usefull and using PI on the Pally's CD helped alot.

Took us 5 tries to get the hang of the ping pong and let the melee group move fast enough and figuring out the ranged between groups for fast bouncing.

Im like u, but 2 ilvl (380 but 377 equipped) lower an AA speced Disc no SoS for me low on haste crit/mastery gear set atm due to an upgrade 2333 spirit. No mana issues yet, might come when 2 healing again once we progressed till 8/8 (damn u time limit)
    Last edited by mmoc3c8522fde4; 2011-12-02 at 04:11 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery does not stack well with DA. "I" would be reforging to Haste at your gear levels. A faster POH will allow you to get more cast off which in turn will allow you to have more DA's, which in turn will allow you to have bigger numbers. I would drop Atton spec and pick up Veiled Shadows. You might need to be work on managing your mana cooldowns and spell usage if you are having issues. Without watching you heal it is very hard to pin point your issue.