Thread: Gw books

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Gw books

There may be spoilers below

I've just finished edge of destiny and ghosts of ascalon. I really enjoyed them but i felt they left a lot of loose ends, I hoped they would be tied up by the third novel in the series (sea of sorrows) but it appears that it focuses more on zhaitans(spelling?) uprising through the eyes of a citizen of lions arch.

Does anyone know if these loose ends will be tied up or if another book is planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian wulf View Post

I've just finished edge of destiny and ghosts of ascalon. I really enjoyed them but i felt they left a lot of loose ends, I hoped they would be tied up by the third novel in the series (sea of sorrows) but it appears that it focuses more on zhaitans(spelling?) uprising through the eyes of a citizen of lions arch.

Does anyone know if these loose ends will be tied up or if another book is planned?
    Only Sea of Sorrows is planned, book wise, at the moment. Don't know what loose ends you're talking about, but possibly the could be tied up in the actual game, when it comes out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Only Sea of Sorrows is planned, book wise, at the moment. Don't know what loose ends you're talking about, but possibly the could be tied up in the actual game, when it comes out.
    I would love to hear about what caithe did with the blood she collected, or what eir did to be reffered to a hero in the past tense by the norn(i cant seem to recall his name), or what vojja did when she returned home.
    I would love to hear about how dougal, the norn and ember returned the claw and how exactly the peace came about, it doesn't sound that straightforward.

I would love to hear about what caithe did with the blood she collected, or what eir did to be reffered to a hero in the past tense by the norn(i cant seem to recall his name), or what vojja did when she returned home.
    I would love to hear about how dougal, the norn and ember returned the claw and how exactly the peace came about, it doesn't sound that straightforward.
    What Caithe does with the blood we'll probably learn about in game when we eventually have to take down Kralk. Eir is referred to as a hero in the past tense as she did some very heroic things, but since, the breaking of Destiny's Edge, she hasn't done anything new which is looked down upon by the rest of the Norn. We may get snippets of what Zojja did after she returned home in game, but I doubt she did anything interesting enough, or something really pertaining to the story at hand to retell in detail.

The return trip would have dragged the book out too much, and it's understandable why it was left out. The story of the return trip lacks a central conflict to really make into an interesting tale, regardless of how many things they had to fight/sneak past. The details of the peace I also assume we'll learn about in game. There is also the fact that there really is no connection between the return trip and the details of the peace treaty, as realistically, Dougal, Gullik, and Ember wouldn't really be involved in that process.

10+ Year Old Account

Slightly off topic, but they said the books are totally inline with the game, like killeens grave will be in the game!! That being said there's a good chance that the rest of te story will be told in the game itself, especially the Destinys edge part, that was said to be what the story mode of the dungeons are about.. Well putting the group back together.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Slightly off topic, but they said the books are totally inline with the game, like killeens grave will be in the game!! That being said there's a good chance that the rest of te story will be told in the game itself, especially the Destinys edge part, that was said to be what the story mode of the dungeons are about.. Well putting the group back together.
    !!SPOILER!!
    yeah, I read/heard(?) this too in a recent interview. Colin (?) said that someone/Dougal (?) visits Killeens tomb at certain times can't find the source... *searching*
    !!SPOILER!!
    Last edited by Maarius; 2011-12-06 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    yeah, I read/heard(?) this too in a recent interview. Colin (?) said that someone/Dougal (?) visits Killeens tomb at certain times can't find the source... *searching*
    I think it was ree that said it, and they said that the characters from the book(or maybe it was just one) would come and visit the grave and either place flowers or mourn the loss for a bit before leaving.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I think it was ree that said it, and they said that the characters from the book(or maybe it was just one) would come and visit the grave and either place flowers or mourn the loss for a bit before leaving.

SPOILER!!

thanks, found it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmAfgZbE60#t=5m10s...Ree about connection book-game

and this www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbRgWIUneE&feature=related#t=5m22s
    and: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbRgWIUneE&feature=related#t=7m10s ... about Killeens grave
    Last edited by Maarius; 2011-12-06 at 07:54 AM.

Whoa, I'm halfway through Edge of Destiny myself.

S'ok bookwise. Lore wise for the game it's interesting... I haven't finished but am not liking the latter half of the book so much. The scenes with Rytlock and Logan are reeaallllly cheesy. :|

I couldn't get into the books at all. They were interesting from a GW lore perspective but that's about it for me.

I guess I am just really picky about the books I read nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    S'ok bookwise. Lore wise for the game it's interesting... I haven't finished but am not liking the latter half of the book so much. The scenes with Rytlock and Logan are reeaallllly cheesy. :|
    personally I didn't like Edge of Destiny very much on the first reading (a little bit more on the second), I loved Ghosts of Ascalon though. Would be so sad, if the charakters from GoA would play no big role in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    personally I didn't like Edge of Destiny very much on the first reading (a little bit more on the second), I loved Ghosts of Ascalon though. Would be so sad, if the charakters from GoA would play no big role in GW2.
    I loved GoA until killeens death, but then again she was my favorite character so I was more outraged she died then anything xD, still a great book.

However, I really liked Destinys edge, I thought it was a really good book, it did however make me hate Logan's guts, but other then that I thought it was a great book.

Edit: I'd imagine they would play a HUGE part in gw2 due to their responsible for te treaty between charr and human.

Deleted
    There are books?! Is there a list with all the books somewhere? I like books

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    There are books?! Is there a list with all the books somewhere? I like books
    2 so far:

Ghosts of Ascalon http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Asc.../dp/1416589473 (imho the better book)
    Edge of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-J-R...2931414&sr=1-1

GoA tells a great story about a band of characters on their adventure to bring the races to peace (in order to fight the dragons together)
    EoD tells the story of the famous guild "Edge of Destiny". It's a story about legends, these characters are crucial to the story in GW2. You'll meet them in your tutorial and through the whole game (via. Story-dungeons)

a third one is released before the game ships
    called

Sea of Sorrows http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Sor...2931473&sr=1-2
    Last edited by Maarius; 2011-12-03 at 04:58 PM.

I hope Ree's book is better than the first 2. At lest the lore for the game will be spot on. Ree's kinda insane about lore. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I hope Ree's book is better than the first 2. At lest the lore for the game will be spot on. Ree's kinda insane about lore. XD
    The other writers had to follow the lore to the dot!! They said all the books Are cannon, and will even have some parts of the books implemented into the game IE killeens grave.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely want to start reading these before the collection becomes overwhelming.

*Scowls at her pile of unread blizzard-related literature.*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    I definitely want to start reading these before the collection becomes overwhelming.

*Scowls at her pile of unread blizzard-related literature.*
    I always disliked how blizzard had a ton of lore in the books that was NEVER said anywhere in the actual game... hopefully guildwars will put the lore in the books AND the game...

I always disliked how blizzard had a ton of lore in the books that was NEVER said anywhere in the actual game... hopefully guildwars will put the lore in the books AND the game...
    There was actually quite a bit of lore to read in game in WoW. I recall reading all of the books, in the Ironforge library for example, and learning quite a bit that way. But yeah, a lot of it you had to read external sources to really get a grasp on it.

I thought the missions in Guild Wars did a pretty good job giving the players some lore background.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    There was actually quite a bit of lore to read in game in WoW. I recall reading all of the books, in the Ironforge library for example, and learning quite a bit that way. But yeah, a lot of it you had to read external sources to really get a grasp on it.

I thought the missions in Guild Wars did a pretty good job giving the players some lore background.
    Oh the missions in GW are where i'm learning everything lore wise lol, wow had the books yes, but i didn't see a single book mentioning deathchin, then he came bursting through and all my friends who DID read the books were freaking out and i was sitting there like "What's the big deal? He's just another dragon" (i thought dragons in wow were kinda sissy tbh lol).

Hopefully, the lore will be put into GW2 in a combination of the books from wow (for some more misc pieces of lore like that'd be found by reading the actual books), and then through dungeons/personal story that'll cover the more major things, like who are these big dragons trying to eat us, and who are these big hero people that keep showing up.