Why can't there be both?

I don't understand. Why do people seem to think there can only be one mmo out.
    With the upcoming release of SWTOR, people are screaming it will kill WoW and Swtor will takes Wow's place as the king. Why can there not be two or more good MMO's out in the market? Because in all honesty if there are two good MMO's out then that causes competition in the market, both games trying to attract players and keep them, thus, they will churn out better content to top the other MMO. So essentially if there are two good mmo's out there then the players win. Not only do they have more awesome choices in the game they want to play, but the games themselves will be better.

So tell me, why can't we have both mmo's, why does one have to fail and the other thrive?

Deleted
    There can, but while subscription fees still exist there will always be hostility between playerbases. People do not want to pay two subscriptions and always like to feel they're playing the better game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because, everyone wants to be on the "winning" team. Or so it would seem.

There could be 300 mmo's. People still fight over everything different and regardless of what happens, everyone's opinions will differ. Pepsi can exist with coke around; but some people won't agree with one of the other, while some other people will in fact, not care for either, or both.

Long story short: Both will exist, fanboys will complain to eachother, and the world will keep spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaede View Post
    There can, but while subscription fees still exist there will always be hostility between playerbases. People do not want to pay two subscriptions and always like to feel they're playing the better game.
    well competition is all and good. and you don't have to play both. But to come right out and say that one will just kill the other is flat out silly (do not mean to imply you said that). People need to realize that the competition between games and their playerbase will ultimately make their games better and healthier.

Because people naturally align themselves to a side to fit in. It's an extremely common thing within the human race and it's why everything is always split into an "us vs them" scenario in almost any aspect of life. Jocks vs nerds, sports teams, patriotism, racism, rich vs poor, casual vs hardcore, ect, ect. While this natural reaction can be avoided with thought and intelligence, the internet, and people in general aren't known for either.
    "An orc - a true orc warrior - wishes for one thing: To die in the glory of battle against a hated enemy." -Varok Saurfang

Because what a part of WoW's community seems to think is that every new hyped up MMO will "kill WoW", yet it has never happened before. Any major MMO release in the history of WoW's existence (Ex. RIFT) was said to be the game to kill WoW, yet what has happened? RIFT is doing great, but WoW is still dominant.

SWTOR is/will be a great game, but it won't kill WoW, because you can't kill a game with 10 million players no matter how hard you try. WoW will only be surpassed when Blizzard stops making content for it.

EDIT: Before the trolls come, by content I DON'T mean "good" or "great" content, I mean ANY content.
    Last edited by Maester; 2011-12-01 at 10:33 PM.

Pretty much sums it up. Also some people just cant stand that other people sometimes have different tastes and opinions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because all WoW players secretly want to stop playing.
    Because there can be only one.
    Because you can't love more than one thing at a time - that's called polygamy.
    Because if you aren't doing the most popular thing on the internet, what the hell are you doing on the internet? /cough memes cough
    Because Pandas.

---------- Post added 2011-12-01 at 02:37 PM ----------

It's sad that people will play the "Better game" when in fact the other game is more suited to their playstyle and interests, but they stick with old faithful because they don't want to give up their history.

R.I.P. YARG

There can be both, and I will actually be playing both. I've tried SWTOR on beta and it is actually a very well made game and I think it will be a very successful competitor to WoW, but it certainly won't "kill" it though. Also, people need to understand that if SWTOR becomes a huge success that will actually be good for both itself and WoW.

Before SWTOR, WoW had pretty much no real competition so Blizzard could almost do whatever they wanted and would still be the best. Now, if SWTOR becomes a huge success and a major competitor to WoW that means Blizzard will have to focus more on trying to please their customers even more than they have been.

Competition is what we want as a customer, because both companies will be trying their best to compete with each other, which will then lead to better game play, content, etc...