Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Meta choices for healing?

Apparently, there was a meta change that we never saw coming, and it may be worth checking out.

The Burning Shadowspirit Diamond (54 Intellect, +3% crit damage) is now critical effect meaning we don't have to sacrifice Intellect to get +crit.

Derevka's written up a little Flash Heal post over on TalesOfAPriest.com, so if you'd like to read the short article it's right here.

What're your thoughts? Worth swapping the Ember for (especially freeing up more Intellect from yellow gems)?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

This has been available forever now, been doing it since Wrath an can't complain at all.
    WoW only has 10 million subscribers it must be dying! WoW sucks!
    I'm sorry no, clearly you didn't see Chuck Norris allowed 10 million to survive his Purge.

Wow. i'm really surprised they did that. At the moment my helmet has a yellow socket for 30 intellect, and my legs have a yellow socket for 30 intellect, so i'll keep the ember. But if i ever run into a situation that would have to put an in-optimal gem in i'll switch to burning. (or if mana becomes a non-issue)

I want to use the burning shadowspirit diamond, but I will most likely wait until I have t13 helm. Since its the last tier piece to drop in normal mode, I think most people will have better gear by the time they win one, and I do not see mana as being a big issue at that point.

Edit: This post is mainly in the mindset of a disc priest, I do not know how holy regen is doing atm.
    Last edited by tomehere; 2011-12-02 at 01:01 AM.
    Let's turn the Night into Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by tomehere View Post
    I want to use the burning shadowspirit diamond, but I will most likely wait until I have t13 helm. Since its the last tier piece to drop in normal mode, I think most people will have better gear by the time they win one, and I do not see mana as being a big issue at that point.

Edit: This post is mainly in the mindset of a disc priest, I do not know how holy regen is doing atm.
    Its nearly a no brainer for Holy... since holy doesnt have rapture, you dont have the regen reliance on your 2% mana boost. (which I alluded to in the post and the comments) ;-)

Deleted
    Very nice change for us shadows who offspec heal now and then

Would attonement double dip on the 3% from the burning??

Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    This has been available forever now, been doing it since Wrath an can't complain at all.
    Umm, the 2nd part of the meta was just changed in 4.3 and isn't purely a dps meta anymore....Might wanna pay a bit more attention.

hmm ... interesting, so lets see some math, I am for example running with 145k mana raid buffed. so if I to give up on the +2% max mana meta, and get this, ill be with around 142k raid buffed mana. in other words ill lose 3k max mana and mana returns based on max mana will be lower, but will have +3% crit effect, which means instead of my usual 70k gheal crits ill see 72k crits which will give approx 860 higher divine aegis shields with the mastery I got(1.9k). soooo .... 3k max mana+slightly lower mana regen... or +860 to aegis shield and slightly higher crit heals? I guess it will all sums up whenever one will or will not oom with his current gear.
    BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post
    Its nearly a no brainer for Holy... since holy doesnt have rapture, you dont have the regen reliance on your 2% mana boost. (which I alluded to in the post and the comments) ;-)
    Very nice! I try to stay away from talking too much about holy nowadays, since I haven't raided with that spec since I started FL, and I don't want to accidentally give people bad info.

Btw, I love the site!
    Let's turn the Night into Tomorrow

Deleted
    Demonidze you make it sound so tasty for a Disc spec crit stacker like my self, I'm wondering though if that lost 2% mana will have much of an effect on my regen considering I rely completely on it.

ah hell going to give it a go for tonight's raid.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2011-12-04 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    Demonidze you make it sound so tasty for a Disc spec crit stacker like my self, I'm wondering though if that lost 2% mana will have much of an effect on my regen considering I rely completely on it.

Read the article that Kelesti linked (and I wrote) the math shows its pretty minimal. Especially considering your reforge options.

Deleted
    Read the article that Kelesti linked (and I wrote) the math shows its pretty minimal. Especially considering your reforge options.
    Thx I didn't actually see the link in the original topic, so basically mana lost is next to nothing for those who don't need it and the gain in throughput while small is still a gain.

Considering if you check my armory link my build is focused mainly on throughput via Crit and mastery with as little regen stats as possible so this gem seams to be made for me as for the lost mana I'll deal with it maybe by dropping spirit back to 943 again to gain that little bit more Crit and mastery.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2011-12-04 at 04:48 PM.

I'd stick with Ember for Holy, seeing our current situation with mana.

But for Disc I'd probably go with Burning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    I'd stick with Ember for Holy, seeing our current situation with mana.
    I'd be curious to understand why that's your logic. The MP5 loss is a pittance, especially for holy since Holy's regen is so reliant on Spirit (not total mana)... you're basing this on the higher starting mana pool? Adding in the sheer number of heals going out (read: HWSanct) the crits that holy does have would only be greater.

The trade off is always throughput for regen...

The MP5 loss is a pittance
    you're basing this on the higher starting mana pool?
    Any MP5 gain is an MP5 gain.

Higher starting mana pool + more return from Sfiend/HoH + Replenishment.

Throughput is not an issue, Mana is a huge issue. Obvious choice for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Any MP5 gain is an MP5 gain.

Higher starting mana pool + more return from Sfiend/HoH + Replenishment.

Throughput is not an issue, Mana is a huge issue. Obvious choice for me.

That all said... there is no 'right answer' and I enjoy this conversation . If you're having mana issues, perhaps the 2% mana is the way to go... but weighing in the added throughput, in exchange for the regen is something that each of us individually need to do.

To dive into some of the math a little more... and even assuming a 3000 loss from the meta's impact to your pool. HOH is hard to gauge since you aren't guaranteed anything from it (boo for altruistic spells!). A 5 min fiend and replenishment, on that 3k, is ~45 MP5. Assuming that same 3k, for a full 4 ticks of HoH it would be <2mp5 from HoH, on CD (depending on the number of Hymns in your raid; obviously more in a 25 fewer in a 10man) Thats why I struggle to even consider it as holy. The 47 MP5 is so minuscule... adding 3% to crits (considering the sheer number that of heals that Holy puts out) seems a stronger option to me; especially since you can recapture that "lost regen" from reforging into spirit.

(sidenote: @ Vook if you're having mana issues; your belt might be a good source of regen since at the moment its not reforged. /2copper)

Deleted
    I switched my spec back to low spirit and gem to the +crit effect last night for Ultraxion, mana wise very little changed I had no issues getting through the fight with more then enough left over before getting blue buff that is and the throughput I gained even though minor was still better then having regen I wouldn't need, I forgot to record the log of the fight which would have been handy for seeing the throughput gained but oh well maybe next week.

Tbh it's a no brainer really the 2% mana gem was used mainly because of lack of choice this fix changes that and as Derevka said the regen from that 2% can be gained back from a small amount of spirit reforged if you even need it.

Basically if you don't actively stack spirit gems for regen then why choose a regen meta.

Changed to Burning meta, feels good, have no mana problems at all, in fact can drop some spirit aswell ( right now on 2.7k ).

had little mana problem close to the end of DW spine encouter( those absorbs... gah.. ), but I think it was because there was hard to get high uptime on Rapture.
    BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post

Just to compare numbers. Let's say you have 120k mana w/the 2% mana gem. You'll be getting 8400 mana back from rapture. If you don't have it you drop to 117,600 which will get you back 8232. Only a difference of 168 mana.

The difference with Hymn and SFiend I doubt will be noticeable at all either especially since they should be used with torrent proccing if you have it.