Thread: So renew?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Because back in ICC, you either spammed 2 second Prayers and cycled them across groups, or you spammed Renew. To a fair chunk of people, they still want Renew to fill the same niche as Prayer, because they like healing like Druids.
    My priest was level 30 all of Wrath, but spamming Renew is NOT viable in Cata, so I'm still a little confused why people are. Having Renew on like 5 targets at a time is awesome, just like a Rejuv, but it's nothing like PoH in play-style or application.

PoH Heals 5 people and applies HoTs and factoring GCDs heals way smarter than Renew.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Because back in ICC, you either spammed 2 second Prayers and cycled them across groups, or you spammed Renew. To a fair chunk of people, they still want Renew to fill the same niche as Prayer, because they like healing like Druids.
    I think there's more to it than that. POH as a filler represents a major change from our Wrath playstyle (more drastic of a change than even Chakra or the new mana/3-heal model), and for myself at least, it removed a big attraction for the spec: mobility. In Wrath, Holy was a highly mobile, highly versatile healer. In Cata, we are POH turrets, and really struggle whenever you have to move a lot (I'm not saying we can't do mobility fights, I'm just saying we are much less mobile than we were in Wrath), or raiders have to spread out, or in 10 mans where you just don't have as many groups to heal, and those groups are filled with players doing very different roles and often have differing damage patterns. We were also a much more flexible, adaptable healing spec in Wrath - you didn't have to give up AE healing potential for 30 seconds to put out powerful, efficient single target healing. Holy's still a fine spec, and with the DH buff and the increase in stacking mechanics in DS, can do really well, but we are only shadows of our former selves in mobility and flexibility, and that is mostly due to POH/Renew switching roles as filler/utility spell, and Chakra shackling some of our on-the-fly flexibility (in 25 man, Chakra basically represents a single-target healing nerf from Wrath days since you will spend 99% of your time in Sanctuary, and in 10 man it means that you have to rely on non-Chakra heals, or simply, other players on your healing team, to take care of any emergencies).

Chakra is probably here to stay (one of the reasons I will probably look at dropping my Priest in MoP), but Renew could be easily fixed. As far as I know, it is one of the few heals in anyone's toolbox that has no benefit from mastery. Making Renew benefit from Mastery would be easy: simply make every tick roll and stack EoL, just like HW:Sanc does. Having a powerful Renew (but making POH slightly more powerful still) would allow us to be much more versatile because Holy wouldn't suffer quite so bad when there's a lot of movement and spreading.
    Last edited by Felade; 2011-12-03 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    My priest was level 30 all of Wrath, but spamming Renew is NOT viable in Cata, so I'm still a little confused why people are. Having Renew on like 5 targets at a time is awesome, just like a Rejuv, but it's nothing like PoH in play-style or application.

PoH Heals 5 people and applies HoTs and factoring GCDs heals way smarter than Renew.
    The mentality about renew never fully adjusted from Wotlk to Cataclysm. I can still remember doing the dogs in ICC and spamming renew on everyone I could between using Prayer of Mending and Circle of Healing, then two quick flash heals and a prayer of healing right after the decimate. It was unbelievably high HPS, and back in those days HPS meters = skill yo. The reality is we have to adjust as healers, but it sometimes can be difficult. Wrath healing was a different game.
    Renew has situational benefits, and so does Prayer of Healing. I wouldn't value one greater than the other in general, but depending on the fight they can overshadow one another. In heavy AoE damage it might make more sense to use PoH in conjunction with CoH and PoM, but when you need someone to gain health and forget about it, a quick renew is a valuable tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by M3ne View Post
    did you include echo of light in your calculation? And how can you cast 3 renews in 2.06s. Even with rapid renew, you would need 1s to cast a renew, which mean 3s for 3 renew.
    He's kind of cheating the calculation there, but technically you can cast 3 in 2 seconds (ignoring latency).
    0.00s: Cast first renew
    1.00s Cast second renew
    2.00s Cast third renew

The problem with that is it's ignoring the gcd of the third renew, which you really shouldn't do if you want a fair comparison. The second PoH would be halfway done casting by the time the third renew's gcd comes up.
    ಠ_ಠ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogster View Post
    I am thinking of scraping the improved renew talents and going with healing voice and the build i posted below.

Being able to pop divine hym once every three minutes when strong raid damage is incoming is quite valuable in my opinion. I feel having a three minute cooldown on divine hym and turning into an angel and continue healing if i die out weights the benefits of the renew talents in a 25 man raid.

Thoughts?

Good thread btw.
    Wouldn't Body and Soul be way more useful than 30% extra healing on yourself? It might account for a small amount of extra healing (easily compensated for by an extra binding heal or DP) but I imagine B&S benefits the raid more as it can be used to help others.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseri View Post
    Wouldn't Body and Soul be way more useful than 30% extra healing on yourself? It might account for a small amount of extra healing (easily compensated for by an extra binding heal or DP) but I imagine B&S benefits the raid more as it can be used to help others.
    Why not both?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post

Not really, if renew provided the same hps as POH then it just completely replaces the spell. you just spam the one with higher HPs in healing situations, as it turns out this expansion POH is higher

renew is a hot which requires 1 gcd per use.
    PoH is a 2-2.4 (depending on your haste) cast time which heals directly after the cast finishes.

So decide for yourself if you got time to heal them slowly and not everyone in the party have taken any dmg.
    Or lets say, Yor'sahj where the entire group takes damage and you might need to heal it faster, then PoH would be better.

Deleted
    should i at least try and keep renew up on the main tank always, or is it not worth it?
    sorry i am not good at priest :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    should i at least try and keep renew up on the main tank always, or is it not worth it?
    sorry i am not good at priest :P
    You should, but don't prioritize it.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
    On Spine, I spam renew on people who have the absorb debuff. Think I'd be better with GH?
    I ended up going with Renew for this as well. Between the Resto druid's Rejuv and my Renew it seemed like the best way to deal with it.
    I did however FHeal/Gheal bomb people who were below 50% heatlh, with the debuff, that were fixated by the tentacle stun.

It's an interesting fight, lots to do and plan out. It isn't mindless spam like Ultraxion <3