Deleted

Is this addon cheating?

our guild is using this (seemingly popular) addon for the yorsahj raid boss

curse. com/addons/wow/yorsahj
    (yorsahjs automatic raid warnings)

but it seems a little bit like cheating to me. Can we get banned for using this?

thanks in advance!!

ps. i cant post the link, i hope its clear that i added a space, else maybe someone else can post the link

No...you can't.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    I guess it is the same as DBM..Can't see why this would be ban-able and DBM is not..

Deleted
    So it's like DBM, which has been around since vanilla afaik, but it *only* helps during this one fight?

I very much doubt it is a mod that will get you banned.

Not at all. It's just like the Blood Queen automatic bite order addon people ran with.

Any Add-on you are using is cheating. The only true way to do any boss fight is to "use the force". If you're not using the force, you're doing it wrong.
    That would have bit 1/10th funnier 5 years ago, but with SW:TOR coming out soon, it seems like a plug for that game. But I just prefer to say "Use the force" for my catch all smart ass answers.

If teh add-on is considered over the top, BLizz will do something to break it, like it did some of the other add-ons that helped too much.

Deleted
    This just announces what color to kill based on what spawns, rather than having the raid leader call it out each time. This addon doesn't do anything special and you can safely use it without ever getting banned.

No, it is not cheating. It doesn't magically know the optimum color to kill, it's just a set of recommendations based on a strategy guide. (I'm not saying that their recommendations are wrong, just that it's not analyzing the situation; it's just spitting out a color based on which bloods spawn).

My wife and I wrote macros that do essentially the same thing, so we could call out on mumble which one to kill, as well as throw up a raid warning telling people what to kill and whether to stack or spread.

Edit: As a follow-up, I personally am going to try this addon this weekend when our other group raids, but I will be modifying the addon to announce different colors as I dislike the choices made for some combinations (notably, choosing to kill black on a red-green-black combination; all three require increased healing, but only green forces you to spread out, while you can just collapse for red + black for aoe healing, and to gun down the adds, so why would you not just kill green?)
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2011-12-02 at 12:59 PM.

If your raid leader is running DBM and has the 'Announce to raid' options turned on, it will already list the oozes in the 'correct' kill order. But, as someone else posted, what the add-on says is not necessarily always the best option.

Deleted
    A mod will only get you banned if it's 1) Doing player actions for you and 2) If it's using protected scripts

Deleted
    I just want something that tells me when the Impales are comming on Madness.

OT: This isn´t cheating

Quote Originally Posted by Pwntatoes View Post
    I just want something that tells me when the Impales are comming on Madness.

OT: This isn´t cheating
    /focus Corrupted Tentacle.

Use a cast bar mod that allows for Focus Cast Bars (e.g. Quartz).
    Thanks Soko<3

Deleted
    The only thing Blizzard considers cheating is programs that interact with the game world without your input.

So for example a program that automatically buys out all ore on the AH is cheating... However a program that Searches for Ore is not.

A program that physically moves your Character to the Slime is cheating, A program that tells you where to go is not.

A program that lets you efficiently heal is not cheating, A program that heals for you is cheating.

Addons that provide the user with information is not cheating... and Addon that provides emulated user input is cheating... However an Addon that simplifies User Input is not cheating (Healbot, Postal etc)

If it only uses messages provided by WoW to give feedback to you, it's not cheating.

If they don't like an addon using something, they stop the client providing that information, like that addon in late Wrath that drew patches on the ground for you to stand in/avoid at certain points. They just disabled the client from providing camera info while indoors. They don't want it to show you what orbs are spawning, they could take them out the combat log.

Deleted
    ow ok i guess its safe to use then, thanks for all the answers!

As one of the makers of this addon I can say it's 100% safe to use!

Also, if anyone happens to use this addon and has any suggestions or questions, feel free to let us know

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Edit: As a follow-up, I personally am going to try this addon this weekend when our other group raids, but I will be modifying the addon to announce different colors as I dislike the choices made for some combinations (notably, choosing to kill black on a red-green-black combination; all three require increased healing, but only green forces you to spread out, while you can just collapse for red + black for aoe healing, and to gun down the adds, so why would you not just kill green?)
    Purple >> Green > Yellow. best order to follow. a lot of people will choose a blue target however I dislike this because it fuels infinite healer mana allowing them to heal more openly during all other color phases.

This addon has been updated for Yor'sahj heroic mode tonight, in case anyone is interested

Might make it a tiny bit easier to meet the tight enrage timer, hopefully.