Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Looking to get into a new MMO again, excuse my ignorance regarding SWTOR!

Hey guys,

First of all: Excuse my perhaps a bit shoddy English and my ignorance for SWTOR :-D

I've been playing WOW since launch, and had a break in WOTLK (Around TOTC and ICC) and Now in Cataclysm I finally reached a phase where I'm completely demotivated to further play this game. I've been out for a few months now, and since I have no job at the moment, I'm looking to pick up a new game.

I've known about SWTOR for a long time, but I haven't really looked into it that much. And seeing as what I find on Youtube also isn't that informative, I'd like to ask you guys a bunch of questions, they're pretty much general questions, but since alot of people have probably played the beta, it would be great if you guys would want to fill me in a bit. This game really seems awesome, but I'm still really in doubt, due to that wow has really disappointed me in the past 2 years.

Oh well, here's the questions!

- How should I look at SWTOR? Is it basicly WOW in space?

- How is the leveling/questing in SWTOR compared to WOW? Is it the same, as in kill X of creature A? Are there any other ways to level, like PVP or anything else?

- How is instancing in SWTOR? And also with different classes, is it standard heal\dps\tank stuff? Is there anything known about endgame PVE?

- How is the PVP in SWTOR? Are there battlegrounds for example?

- My biggest question, combat. How is it? And how does it combine with force abilities? Is it the standard type of combat, or does it rise above the rest in some way?

- Last question, what do YOU THINK sets SWTOR apart from other MMO's? If I don't like WOW anymore, do you think I would like this?

Thanks in advance peeps!

Deleted
    SWTOR is heavily story based, that leads to much more enjoyable leveling experience if you are looking for MMORPG, and not MMOG that wow is (soon to loose one more M ).
    It is standard dps/heal/tank, but for solo content you can have companion to fill one of that role, so you can for example heal and have dps companion, so the fact that you want to heal doesnt cripple your soloing ability. Voiceovers are just amazing, that sets it apart from other MMOs in my opinion:-)
    Combat mechanics are very similiar to WoW, so dont expect suprise there, Force is just like magic in WoW, with focus on knockback effects.

In my opinion dont ask mmo-champ play the game yourself yes thats hard to do since you either spend 60 bucks for a game you might not like when its released or you cant get into beta. First hand experience is better than trying to figure out if someone is a fanboy of either game.

Now In my opinion of your questions NO SWTOR is not WOW in space as many wow players will say yes it has the same functionality as WoW since both are themepark/hotkey based MMOs, WoW is more grindy that SWTOR is again in my opinion some say both are equally as grindy.

Yes its the standard Melee DPS/Ranged DPS/Tank/Healer EG pve consists of every dungeon your faction can do can be done as heroic, there are 2? raids that have 3 difficulties of Normal Hard and Nightmare i believe there is about 16 dungeons in the game for both factions 3 are faction only the rest are shared i believe (someone fix that if im wrong)

PvP seems balanced for the most part there are 3 warzones (BGs) and a world pvp planet a open gurubashi arena

As far as combat goes i love it no auto attack is a huge turn-on for me and the fluidity of the abilities are great

What do i think sets SWTOR apart from other mmos is the story hands down the story is the best part of the game, i think you will like the game

thats my take on SWTOR again take what some people say with a grain of salt i tried my best not to sound like a complete and total fanboy of the game but in reality i am, im totally stupid for this game

It's similar enough to WoW that you will jump right in to it, but I would not quite call it WoW in space.

I found the voice acted story with the choices and companions to be quite refreshing, the leveling did not feel like a grind at all. You feel more engaged in why you are killing x of creature a. You can level through pvp, mini space game (have not tested that yet so not 100% sure on that)

Well the trinity is there, and I've only played the first flashpoint (dungeon). And it had refreshing mechanics for a so low level, and after what I understand it get progresivly harder after the first ones. There is a endgame planet with dailies and two operations (raids) so far.

There are warzones (battlegrounds) yes, one ala Arathi Basin, one ala Strand of the Ancients without the vechicles and one capture the flag with a really refreshing take on it. And so far there is two open world pvp zones where one is sort of similar to Wintergrasp just that it isent timed, and one somewhat sandbox ish.

Since there is no auto attack, you feel more engaged. And I really liked the animations, but it's sort of similar to wow's in that it's hotkey based.

Voice over story, companions, choices in the quests that may alter the quests, the crafting system is what sets it apart from wow. I feel like they did what WoW did, they took what works and improved it and added alot to it.

I've loved/still love WoW since I started playing that in 2004, but I just got tired of it. And my first playthrough of SWTOR this last beta weekend just made me fall more and more in "love" with this game. Hoped that answered some of your questions :P

15+ Year Old Account
    how about end game?
    whats the endgame?
    is it raiding? pvp? something else?
    how "hard" is the endgame if it is raiding?
    like LFR?
    like normal firelands prenerf?
    like normal dragonsoul?
    like heroic firelands prenerf?
    like heroic firelands postnerf?

greetings and thanks @ star wars nerds
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollbearpig View Post

- How should I look at SWTOR? Is it basicly WOW in space?
    The core of how the game handles is the same as wow, but for me that is where the comparisons really end.

- How is the leveling/questing in SWTOR compared to WOW? Is it the same, as in kill X of creature A? Are there any other ways to level, like PVP or anything else?
    The questing is actually FUN. I can not stress enough how much fun it is to level in this game. An amazing story and the only grinding there is are bonus quests you do while fighting your way to your objectives.

- How is instancing in SWTOR? And also with different classes, is it standard heal\dps\tank stuff? Is there anything known about endgame PVE?
    Instances are fun. Really only did like 2 of them. Too early to tell but it seems close in terms of roles.

- How is the PVP in SWTOR? Are there battlegrounds for example?
    The pvp I enjoyed. Obviously at lower levels it is not going to be anything like max level. In general though they have 3 warzones. They are all different and very enjoyable. Having a good competent team makes them that much more fun.

- My biggest question, combat. How is it? And how does it combine with force abilities? Is it the standard type of combat, or does it rise above the rest in some way?
    Combat is more reactive. No auto attacks so you need to work for damage output. They have a few interesting mechanics and fun things involved with combat. A bar under health once full makes you immune to stuns and such, also the cover mechanic which I find to be allot of fun. Few other things I am sure but all in all to me not a bad system.
    - Last question, what do YOU THINK sets SWTOR apart from other MMO's? If I don't like WOW anymore, do you think I would like this?
    I have quit wow awhile ago as well. I can tell you the story alone makes this game enjoyable. Leveling is so much fun. The flashpoints and warzones are also top notch. If you have not played the game I highly recommend you try it. You will not be disapointed!

Thanks in advance peeps![/QUOTE]

15+ Year Old Account
    Medjai pretty much covered most of what I was gonna say.. but here's my take on the rest of it

Have you played any other Bioware games?

SWTOR is very much a Bioware game. Meaning it's heavily story driven with alot of cut scenes, voiceovers and dialogue.

It plays like an MMO combat wise but what really makes it different is the story and immersion. If you're not at all into that then I doubt swtor would be the game your looking for.

Deleted
    There is endgame raiding, though I'm not sure if its been publicly tested yet, so much as just beta tested to the luckier ones.
    And so I can't tell you how 'hard' end game raiding is. But there are normal and heroic modes to raids, and there's end game PvP of some variety, though I've not had chance to do any of it.

All I can say so far, is that SWTOR is something I will be playing with a deep love for it. Voice acting is awesome. I played as a Sith Warrior for most of my testing time, and you really feel like you're becoming the right hand of the Emperor or something, its really badass.

Can't wait for early access. Got a week to zerg to 50, and then kick start the raiding (Y)

Deleted
    Do yourself a favour and skip the bland game that is SWTOR. Wait for Guild Wars 2.

Infracted. Don't troll. Thanks. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-02 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasere View Post
    Do yourself a favour and skip the bland game that is SWTOR. Wait for Guild Wars 2.
    forgot to mention the GW2 fanboys that think everything sucks except their new shiny mmo

Infracted. Don't flame other posters. Report and move on. - Buckwald.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-02 at 01:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    how about end game?
    whats the endgame?
    like LFR?
    like normal dragonsoul?

You can both pvp and raid as far as end game goes.. Other than that it's difficult to answer those questions since it's not out yet. There have been people testing the raids, but as far as I'm aware it's only been tested in "normal mode".. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeni View Post
    You can both pvp and raid as far as end game goes.. Other than that it's difficult to answer those questions since it's not out yet. There have been people testing the raids, but as far as I'm aware it's only been tested in "normal mode".. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.
    there are people that tested hard mode and nightmare, and from what they said nightmare is on a whole nother level and it got buffed yesterday lol

I'd join Rift if you want MMO. its got everything wow has without the QQ community and its more polished and sexy looking graphics. alot of world events, world pvp, competative pvp and hard pve content aswell as easy ones. i tried TOR a few times now and i just get so bored. maybe its because i wasnt really a star wars fan in the first place. you can play rift for free to level 20 like with wow, or get recruited to get bonuses and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Solomodex View Post
    I'd join Rift if you want MMO. its got everything wow has without the QQ community and its more polished and sexy looking graphics. alot of world events, world pvp, competative pvp and hard pve content aswell as easy ones. i tried TOR a few times now and i just get so bored. maybe its because i wasnt really a star wars fan in the first place. you can play rift for free to level 20 like with wow, or get recruited to get bonuses and stuff
    i must have been a different server than you because all my server was nothing but QQing lol but hey at least there are some servers that dont QQ on there lol

im on Bloodiron EU Guardian side and i've not seen much QQ. not about the game and blaming TrionWorlds and the classes for their misstakes anyway.

Deleted
    Opinion is the inbred cousin of fact. Non-the-less, I'll be playing both WoW and SWTOR, there is nothing stopping you playing both, considering GW2 is F2P.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    how about end game?
    whats the endgame?
    like LFR?
    like normal dragonsoul?

If i would have to compare them i would say normal mode is slightly more difficult than heroic raids in wow. Nightmare indeed is a whole new level it really is a nightmare.. compare it to swp prenerf or cthun prenerf

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomodex View Post
    I actually played Rift for about a month or so, got to 50 and then got bored. It just didn't feel right to me.

Thanks everyone for the information so far.. I guess I'm going to check it out.. :-)

No. I will play both. Revolting image isn't it.

ahh you are EU thats why!! lol im on Amardis US Guardian