Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    People need to read things through before spouting nonsense. Not reading things for yourself is how we end up with a nation of sheep. People on both sides of the aisle will spin things to swing people to their point of view and without actually reading it for yourself, you can't truly make a solid decision.

Also, to everyone who says the USA is a democracy... it's not. It is a representative republic. It always has been and hopefully always will be since direct democracy doesn't work.
    "And then, as though awoken from a blind stupor,the people of the internet realised that: no one gives a damn.
    And no damns were given." - Calon, MMO-Champion (source)

It is a representative republic
    That's redundant.

Deleted
    What does Sweden have to do with this? I know we are the best country on Earth and all, but what does that concern the US?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I mean our intelligence gathering and sharing did need to be fixed, its just the Patriot act was a neo liberals wet dream, not what we needed.
    The court system was fine, there was no need for warrantless this and that. Heck, they never even requested a warrant to look at the laptop that allegedly held plans about 9/11. The info was there, the court system was there - they never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    The court system was fine, there was no need for warrantless this and that. Heck, they never even requested a warrant to look at the laptop that allegedly held plans about 9/11. The info was there, the court system was there - they never used it.
    An accelerated warrant process is a good idea. A lot of the Patriot Act improved inter agency intel sharing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    After reading this, the thought of time-traveling back to prevent 9/11 from happening doesn't seem so bad. What is one unknown ripple in space-time compared to this bad future we're in now!!???

Does this mean I can incite riots? I do need a new TV, maybe I can work something out...

Deleted
    An accelerated warrant process is a good idea. A lot of the Patriot Act improved inter agency intel sharing.
    They already had special courts for fast warrants at any time of day for these sort of occasions. But yeah, the inter agency intel sharing failed during 9/11, or so I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisaderfrau View Post
    People need to read things through before spouting nonsense. Not reading things for yourself is how we end up with a nation of sheep. People on both sides of the aisle will spin things to swing people to their point of view and without actually reading it for yourself, you can't truly make a solid decision.

Also, to everyone who says the USA is a democracy... it's not. It is a representative republic. It always has been and hopefully always will be since direct democracy doesn't work.
    obviously your 2 party system doesnt work either, back when you didnt have all the fancy smancy gadgets a country of that size would be right to have representatives... but the system you have also blocks out any other party than your two parties and all i hear is that: you gotta pick between two evils, what about making its a % based election and set the limit to like... 5 % or 10 % of the total amount of votes, that way you will get a lot more diversity and hopefully smarter politicians

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrostini View Post
    http://newsvoice.se/2011/12/02/us-se...-battleground/

In a stunning move that has civil libertarians stuttering with disbelief, the U.S. Senate has just passed a bill that effectively ends the Bill of Rights in America.
    Text: Mike Adams | Also watch this video: The US Constitution is gone
    The National Defense Authorization Act is being called the most traitorous act ever witnessed in the Senate, and the language of the bill is cleverly designed to make you think it doesn’t apply to Americans, but toward the end of the bill it essentially says it can apply to Americans ”if we want it to.”
    Bill Summary & Status, 112th Congress (2011 – 2012) | S.1867 | Latest Title: National Defense Authorization Act for =
    This bill, passed late last night in a 93-7 vote, declares the entire USA to be a ”battleground” upon which U.S. military forces can operate with impunity, overriding Posse Comitatus and granting the military the unchecked power to arrest, detain, interrogate and even assassinate U.S. citizens with impunity.
    Even WIRED magazine was outraged at this bill, reporting:
    Senate Wants the Military to Lock You Up Without Trial
    …the detention mandate to use indefinite military detention in terrorism cases isn’t limited to foreigners. It’s confusing, because two different sections of the bill seem to contradict each other, but in the judgment of the University of Texas’ Robert Chesney — a nonpartisan authority on military detention — “U.S. citizens are included in the grant of detention authority.” Source

The passage of this law is nothing less than an outright declaration of WAR against the American People by the military-connected power elite. If this is signed into law, it will shred the remaining tenants of the Bill of Rights and unleash upon America a total military dictatorship, complete with secret arrests, secret prisons, unlawful interrogations, indefinite detainment without ever being charged with a crime, the torture of Americans and even the ”legitimate assassination” of U.S. citizens on right here on American soil!
    If you have not yet woken up to the reality of the police state we’ve been warning you about, I hope you realize we are fast running out of time. Once this becomes law, you have no rights whatsoever in America — no due process, no First Amendment speech rights, no right to remain silent, nothing.
    Text: Mike Adams
    Also watch this video: The US Constitution is gone
    You don't have rights in cases CONNECTED WITH TERRORISM. Here, I'll bold it for you. Thanks for playing Fail-Anarchist of the Week, with your excellently moderated host, MMO-Champion! /applause

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    What does Sweden have to do with this? I know we are the best country on Earth and all, but what does that concern the US?
    it was a swedish site... and norway, finland and denmark beats sweden! It was agreed on a meeting, sweden wasnt invited though

too bad we dont have some sort of system in place to prevent ridiculous laws from being passed, or any way to challenge them...

yea but thats because it didnt take much to call it an improvement, FBI and CIA dont like sharing much

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    You don't have rights in cases CONNECTED WITH TERRORISM. Here, I'll bold it for you. Thanks for playing Fail-Anarchist of the Week, with your excellently moderated host, MMO-Champion! /applause
    They can do that by just "suspecting" that you're a terrorist suspect. And again, you fit the broad definition of terrorist suspect if you have missing fingers, 7 weeks of food rations, wheather proof ammo etc.

They can do that by just "suspecting" that you're a terrorist suspect. And again, you fit the broad definition of terrorist suspect if you have missing fingers, 7 weeks of food rations, wheather proof ammo etc.
    dont forget the brown and muslim part...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    dont forget the brown and muslim part...
    I'm not aware that is enough to be a suspect, but I wouldn't be surprised.

They already had special courts for fast warrants at any time of day for these sort of occasions. But yeah, the inter agency intel sharing failed during 9/11, or so I'm told.
    "fast warrants" were notoriously not fast.

---------- Post added 2011-12-03 at 12:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    yea but thats because it didnt take much to call it an improvement, FBI and CIA dont like sharing much
    Its more than just the CIA and the FBI

There's the NSA, various military intell units etc etc

Deleted
    "fast warrants" were notoriously not fast.
    They didn't fail on 9/11.

And making the warrant process faster is fine, but you need a warrant and you need it approved by a judge. Otherwise the warrant holds no meaning.

And making the warrant process faster is fine, but you need a warrant and you need it approved by a judge. Otherwise the warrant holds no meaning.
    I'm not arguing against that.

I'm not arguing against that.
    but if there were already fast warrant courts, then how can you make them faster without circumventing the process?