Poll: How do you feel about grinding in GW2?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Grinding In GW2.

It's pretty obvious there will be some fashion of grinding in GW2. Nothing that will be required, I'm sure, but nonetheless there will be grinding. How do you feel about grinding in GW2?

Vote and discuss.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2011-12-03 at 05:43 AM.

I actually don't hate it. Too much grinding is a bad thing but sometimes I really do feel like putting on my headphones, playing some good music and just grind away.

Every game has some sort of grind, I don't mind, as long as it ain't a huge waste of time, and actually amounts to something, I don't see a problem with it

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no problem with long grinds. I actually prefer long grinds in my mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I have no problem with long grinds. I actually prefer long grinds in my mmos.
    you aren't a Lineage 2 fan by chance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    you aren't a Lineage 2 fan by chance?
    Haha definitely not, but that is because I hate the controls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the grind. To date the only games I've been able to "grind" in are the Final Fantasies and Kingdom Hearts games.

Oh and all those Tony Hawk games. Cause you know, I liek teh pointz.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Given GW2's purported combat system, I think grinding will much more enjoyable than in a hotkeyed MMO like WoW, where all you do is press the same 3 buttons, in the same order, repeatedly, then dingle around and wait for respawns.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends, I hated, hated, hated grinding titles in Guild Wars 1, but grinding things like points for better gear (karma/valor points) doesn't bother me too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I like to take the occasional wanderlust and just run out and slay monsters in the name of "awesome-fantasy-imagination-sequence!" that rears it's ugly head from time to time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with the occasional grind. Just as long as it's not a mandatory part of progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    Every game has some sort of grind, I don't mind, as long as it ain't a huge waste of time, and actually amounts to something, I don't see a problem with it
    sums about it. if grinding is part of some useful (but not mandatory) process and is not too boring, i'm fine with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Oh and all those Tony Hawk games.
    Oh snippety snap.

I like "voluntary" grinds, things that don't really give you anything. So as long as it's not something that will give you an actual advantage in the game, I'm cool with it. Sometimes it's just fun to kill time with some mindless grinding, and having some goal to do it for makes it much more justifiable.

Thought I don't really agree with grinds involving super-low drop rates. I think that's a bad way of doing it since it's based more luck than on dedication. (Like, say, mount drops on WoW, you pretty much need to be lucky to get those. Unless you grind for like 2 years in which case you can say the odds are in your favor.)

I will be doing 0 grinding in GW2, sans the obligatory tutorial that I have to do to be eligible for PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    Grinding is a term used in video gaming to describe the process of engaging in repetitive and/or boring tasks not pertaining to the story line of the game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_(video_gaming)
    original source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...mmo.php?page=3
    Another issue that stems partly from die-roll combat is that of “grinding.” Grinding is the act of playing in a repetitive, unexciting, or otherwise un-enjoyable fashion in order to make faster progress.
    the key part of the definition of "grind" is the term "boring" or in soren's blog, the terms unexciting and un-enjoyable. by definition something doesnt become a grind until it becomes boring. therefore there can be no such thing as a "good" grind

the term grind gets mixed up with "repeating" so often people forgot the real definition of grind, maybe becuase we are so used to it. never forget that grinding is bad because the definition requires it to be so. its not just a negative connotation thats added to the word
    Last edited by Glytch; 2011-12-03 at 03:40 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    Everyone defines grind for themselves, so there really isn't much merit to discussing it.

Grind is simply a point in the game where your desire to progress is what motivates you to play, rather than your actual enjoyment.

And for everyone, that point comes at different times in different situations.

Some people "grind" through quests, others "grind" honor, everyone "grinds" reputation etc. And since it's such an open term, I'm sure Guild Wars 2 will have it too.

Deleted
    I'm ok with some grinding, but being an obligatory part that you would need to do every day to stay ahead is not good. So, that said, I do expect some grinding (in the end if you want your gear model from a boss in a dungeon it might not drop first time) but I hope I won't have to do a dungeon/boss/quest every day for months.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as the grinding isn't mandatory, and it's not really boring and tedious(like doing the same quest every day for a month) i don't care if it's in the game
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I'm ok with some grinding, but being an obligatory part that you would need to do every day to stay ahead is not good. So, that said, I do expect some grinding (in the end if you want your gear model from a boss in a dungeon it might not drop first time) but I hope I won't have to do a dungeon/boss/quest every day for months.
    there is no traditional gear grind, you can basically get a piece of useful armor/weapons with each dungeon run and DE's give you karma which you can use to exchange for anything you want, so it's less of a "grind". basically as long as you are successful with any given content loot/gear is guaranteed so you only have to participate in content as long as it is enjoyable for you.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Don't mind grinds as long as they have a reward. Such as faction grinds in the older MMOs that actually changed how your options in the game world.

Wikipedia definition of "grind" is very dubious. Kinda shouldn't have bothered to post it.