Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

December 2 Hotfixes, A Day in the Life of a Community Manager, Blue Posts, TCG Art

Patch 4.3 Hotfixes: December 2
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    General
    • The Looking-For-Dungeon / Looking-For-Raid system should now properly assign classes to the roles that are most needed, as long as those roles are selected. It should no longer confine them to Tank/Healer/DPS priority if other roles are in short supply.
    • Master looter can no longer assign items in Looking-For-Raid groups to players that are already locked to that boss for the week.
    • Players should be unable to trade loot they obtained from Looking-For-Raid encounters to players that are loot locked to that boss.

Dungeons & Raids
    Well of Eternity
    • Eyes of Peroth'arn should now despawn after the stealth phase.
    • During the Mannoroth encounter in the Well of Eternity, players who drop combat via abilities like Vanish and Invisibility should no longer lose the Gift of Sargeras buff.
    • Displaced Shadowbats should now properly despawn in all situations.
    • Druids are no longer removed from their Shapeshifted form when they gain the Shadowcloak buff.

Hour of Twilight
    • Thrall should no longer be able to be killed in the gauntlet leading up to Archbishop Benedictus.
    • Thrall will no longer aggro additional trash packs in the Asira Dawnlayer gauntlet if a player mind controls a mob.

Dragon Soul
    • All bosses in Dragon Soul are now awarding both guild XP and reputation when defeated, in normal and Heroic raid difficulties.
    • Hagara
      • Ice Walls now move 15% slower on LFR Raid Finderdifficulty
    • Ultraxion
      • The minimum heal required to activate Essence of Dreams is now 1500, up from 500.
    • Spine of Deathwing
      • Players should no longer get disconnected once they release their spirit after jumping or falling off Deathwing.
    • Madness of Deathwing
      • Deathwing now properly slouches down and becomes attackable for phase two.
      • Corrupted Deathwing should now cast his spells appropriately when switching between platforms.
      • The Madness of Deathwing encounter should will appropriately die, play the end cinematic, spawn his appropriate loot chest, award Valor Points, and despawn when players defeat him.
    Blackrock Caverns
    • Raz the Crazed's Furious Swipe should now properly hit enemies.

Temple of Ahn'Qiraj
    • All bosses should again reward the expected amount of Brood of Nozdormu reputation.

Items
    • The Speaking of Rage proc from all three versions of Vishanka, Jaws of the Earth should no longer miss against opponents of any level, regardless of the player's Hit Rating.
    • If a player loots a Heart of Flame with a full inventory, the item will be mailed to them.

Quests and Creatures
    • Kilix the Unraveler should no longer offer the deprecated quest "All Things in Good Time".
    • Telenus and Kali Remik no longer offer the deprecated quest "Seek the Farstriders".
    • Blackhowl Footsoldiers should no longer path under the terrain or path oddly around stairs.
    • The Crystalspire Stone Drake will no longer despawn for players who have engaged Zoltrik Drakebane

Classes
    Death Knight (Forums / Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
    • Raise Ghoul, Blood Tap, Empower Rune Weapon, and Army of the Dead no longer benefit from the cooldown reduction and the duration increase from the buff Last Defender of Azeroth.

Druid (Forums / Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
    • Druids can no longer cast Barkskin while Hexed.
    • Frenzied Regeneration is now correctly healing for 0.30% health for each point of Rage consumed and matches the amount in the tooltip.
    • Efflorescence should now correctly heal if the Swiftmended heal is absorbed by effects like Necrotic Strike.

Priest (Forums / Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
    • A Priest with Spirit of Redemption who dies as the round is ending in Strand of the Ancients should no longer become permanently stunned for the rest of the game.

Rogue (Forums / Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
    • Killing Spree should no longer return a script error when only stealthed targets are nearby.

Warrior (Forums / Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
    • Deep Wounds should now only proc from crits, not passive damage.
    • Bladestorm will now always grant immunity when it is cast.

A Day in the Life of a Community Manager
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Against my better judgment, we’ve just published “A Day in the Life… Micah Whipple” on our 20th Anniversary website, chronicling a single day in the life of our most-senior community manager.

In this unauthorized autobiography, Micah gives you an inside look at what it’s like to be Bashiok, what it’s like to not be Bashiok, and what it’s like to write an essay that is almost entirely devoid of facts.

You can, if you really have nothing better to do, read the full article here.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    LFR Loot Exploit
    If you are getting loot off of a boss twice then it is an exploit. This has always been the case in World of Warcraft, and we expect players to know better.

We’re in the process of implementing a hotfix to fix the exploit, and are deciding what steps we'll be taking for the gear that was already obtained. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Fury's Deep Wound Nerfed
    In 4.3, we fixed a bug where Deep Wounds was benefiting from the 40% auto attack bonus from Precision. Deep Wounds should only be triggered by crits, not passive damage.

We also found a bug introduced in 4.3 (and reported by several players) that Deep Wounds was not triggered by attacks such as Heroic Leap, Intercept and most importantly, Raging Blow. We are deploying a hotfix to fix that bug.

Deep Wounds should not benefit from spell enchants, such as Avalanche. In general, enchant procs should not have synergistic effects with talents or class mechanics.

From what we have seen so far, Fury’s damage is still where we want it to be in 4.3. We will see how things change as more data comes in. If we think Fury’s damage needs to increase through Deep Wounds or some other mechanic, we will be sure to do so. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Well of Eternity Lore
    The accent Tyrande has was bad.
    The same voice actress is responsible for her voice then and now.

The explicitly sinister Illidan, despite this being before he absorbed the skull of Guldan, and even before he was imprisoned and chained for 10,000 years, is worse.
    He was already blinded and making use of demonic power by this point, however. I'm not quite certain what you mean by 'explicitly sinister', but he was already largely estranged from his fellows and pursuing his own research at this point. In that light, we thought it would be more interesting to show a little bit of corruption even before he consumes the powers in the skull as opposed to just having him look like a straight-up night elf.

The pre-Deathwing Neltharion model complete with body ruptures and metallic jaw/plates is just laugh-out-loud ridiculous.
    I know that this might be a bit tough to swallow for some, but the use of the current Deathwing model in that scene was a matter of efficiency. A ton of work went into 4.3, and we squeezed in as much as we could, but it didn't make sense to dedicate the huge resources it takes to create a custom model for that one cameo, and we were concerned that using a generic black dragon model wouldn't have the same immediate value of recognition.

Modifying the Illidan model made more sense because you actually spend some time running around with him in the dungeon.

On that note, I should point out that creating custom models actually consumes substantial resources, so they're precious to us. Tyrande didn’t have her own model for seven years, Sylvanas didn’t have her own model for several years, etc. We'd love to have custom models for every character, for every scene at every point in the timeline, but the resources simply don't exist to make that happen. In the meantime, we hope that players can use a little bit of imagination and still enjoy the dungeons anyway, even if a given model isn't always a perfect reflection of the character.

The resources don't exist?
    I didn't say they don't exist. They were just directed toward other efforts.

For example, there's a lot of new item and environment art in this patch. There are new mounts, new armor sets, new weapons, new pets. Ultimately, while we would love to do everything, at the end of the day we always have to make choices about how and where the resources are spent.

I know you have to be all "PR responsible" and stuff, but that's a pretty lame answer in my opinion. In fact, every time someone complains about something not being of top-notch quality, it always comes back to this answer.
    We always come back to that because we have x development resources which must accomplish y goals in z time. It's very common that there will be some give and take during the process. All of this is in service of trying to get the most out of the time we invest to create the best experience possible. That's incredibly important to us, and hopefully we've created some very worthwhile experiences not only in these instances, but all the other patch content too. Still, whether it's a reality of game development or not, I acknowledge that it's probably not a very satisfying answer when it seems that we've missed something that was important to you.

What exactly are the people Blizzard has hired doing then? If all their efforts are resorted to weapons and mounts, instead of the prime focus of your latest patch, that's ridiculous. Unless you find the prime focus of the patch to be the weapons and mounts, then that's just sad.
    Our artists were busy creating new models for weapons, mounts, pets, new environments, among other things (including an entire future expansion which is currently in development). It's easy to make all those things seem unimportant, but we disagree - we want the stuff you pick up, wear and keep to look awesome whenever we can make that happen. These dungeons were an important part of 4.3 (I think the term 'prime focus' overstates the case a bit, though) and actually, a tremendous amount of effort went into making them not only fun and engaging, but also as lore-appropriate and visually authentic as possible. It's a little unfortunate that the majority of that effort is being completely overlooked.

You couldn't have taken a random black dragon, increased it's size... Gave it more texture, etc? Heck, you could have taken the current model of Deathwing and modified that.
    All of those were possible courses of action, sure, though I suspect that using a different existing model would likely had the same result. Slight modifications to an existing model may not even have been noticed, given the light show going off in that scene. Also, as others have pointed out, he was already wearing the armor at that point. In the end, we're currently having a long discussion about a single model which appears for a few seconds, and is wreathed in gold lightning for much of that time. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Trading Card Game Art Gallery Update
    The Trading Card game art gallery has been updated with ten new pieces.

Last edited by chaud; 2011-12-03 at 05:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    A Priest with Spirit of Redemption who dies as the round is ending in Strand of the Ancients should no longer become permanently stunned for the rest of the game.
    Wow blizz, ruining the game wtf.

On a more serious note, I totally thought that they'd make changes to the ice waves on the 4th boss in LFR after 2/3 of our raid died to them. (We still killed her though of course - the boss is basically 10-mannable)
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-12-03 at 05:56 AM.

Fury warriors are just so bad now, brb switching to a rogue

Deleted
    You are right, they did ruin the game now ...

So, when will they fix the damn mature filter turning itself back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Kazai View Post
    If it isn't hotfixable it will be in the minor patch that usually follows major patches, this addon should hold you over though.

Deleted
    I sure hope so, it's annoying to manually turn off every damn time you logg in ... BTW : glad for the fix of lfr exploit ... they have to delete a bounch of items now , lol ...

"We'd love to have custom models for every character, for every scene at every point in the timeline, but the resources simply don't exist to make that happen." "I didn't say they don't exist. They were just directed toward other efforts." Because i don't know how to quote I've never seen a Blue make such a mistake like that I lolled pretty hard core
    Never, They're catering for the casuals now, us hardcore kids don't cuont anymore, And because Most casuals are kids or mothers who have been given everything from a young age, don't expect anything better from them

Deleted
    Someone actually bothered to write one line of code into an addon , lol , --- BNSetMatureLanguageFilter(false)
    Gj sir ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Kazai View Post
    This has been driving me bananas. >:[

A ton of work went into 4.3, and we squeezed in as much as we could
    You could've taken the time you didn't spend on 4.1 and used it here. =]

On a more serious note, I totally thought that they'd make changes to the ice waves on the 4th boss in LFR after 2/3 of our raid died to them. (We still killed her though of course - the boss is basically 10-mannable)

How are the waves, in anyway possible, hard?
    You can see them coming when they radiate out from Hagara. They pause for a few seconds before rotating.
    There is PLENTY of time to see them and avoid them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machriren View Post
    "We'd love to have custom models for every character, for every scene at every point in the timeline, but the resources simply don't exist to make that happen." "I didn't say they don't exist. They were just directed toward other efforts." Because i don't know how to quote I've never seen a Blue make such a mistake like that I lolled pretty hard core Never, They're catering for the casuals now, us hardcore kids don't cuont anymore, And because Most casuals are kids or mothers who have been given everything from a young age, don't expect anything better from them
    you obviously did not read that part right and thus you came to a wrong assumption that the blue was wrong. He is saying that the resources dont exist to do both (A) and (B), (B) being the unique models for characters. "I didnt say they [they being the resources] dont exist, they [again, the resources] were just directed towards other efforts (A)."
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

wtf bliz everyone knows creating art is easy and takes 0 time ... wait

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lykoris View Post
    How are the waves, in anyway possible, hard?
    You can see them coming when they radiate out from Hagara. They pause for a few seconds before rotating.
    There is PLENTY of time to see them and avoid them.
    on my first venture into DS and attempting hagraa i, not having read dungeon manual, ran straight into the ice wall expecting some damage but not a deadly amount needless to say i was 2 shot..... so yes dodgeable items can kill

Wow the waves are even slower now? I did the raid finder last night and found them to already be painfully slow. Like I'd run up behind one and have to stop and wait for it just so I could DPS the next crystal thing.

Deleted
    The resources don't exist?I didn't say they don't exist. They were just directed toward other efforts.For example, there's a lot of new item and environment art in this patch. There are new mounts, new armor sets, new weapons, new pets. Ultimately, while we would love to do everything, at the end of the day we always have to make choices about how and where the resources are spent. This is very disturbing...Blizzard was renound to get games out when they're polished. And this change of direction is wrong for present and future gaming of Blizzard.

Deleted
    "The resources don't exist" as in time and manpower. They have the means and abilities to, but at this point Blizzard is busier figuring out how to keep all the whiny kids happy, than actually creating content. Stop crying, use your imagination. It's a fantasy-based lore game after all.

It's ok. The Old Republic comes out in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ablock View Post
    It's ok. The Old Republic comes out in 2 weeks.
    and it will be laughably easy with next to no end game content just like every other mmo...so your point? If they try to make it a challenge they won't have enough subscribers to keep the servers running..