Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Bounty Hunter] Merc or Powertech?

I'm still really unsure about which id like to follow down

im most likely going to be a dps.

so either AC will work...but which one?

Deleted
    Merc is more ranged, Powertech is more melee. Merc has heals, Powertech does not. Both wear heavy armour too.

Pick Merc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went merc personally. I'm not sure about the theory crafting atm for either. Really it depends on wether you think youll like to try tanking or healing at any point as far as im aware. Merc dps was fun, not sure about powertech.

10+ Year Old Account
    lower playing a powertech this passed weekend, so much aoe goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Trollsbane, Jedi sodomist.

ill try them both out this weekend
    does the merc get a jetpack?

I leveled mine as Bodyguard - Mercenary. Really enjoyed it and had no problems 1-20.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be going Merc Firebug, my Trooper will be Vanguard Tactics (the trooper version of PT Adv Proto)
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I'm really interested in playing a melee Bounty Hunter, don't know how it really plays though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going with Merc. Really wanting to heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the Powertech style. I like the short to mid range. Missiles are cool and all, but flamethrower or wrist blade to the face are pure win.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Powertech...i love being tanky.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the powertech best.
    Beating a guy in the face > shooting from a distance

As far as I've read: Powertech is not a viable dps class for endgame pve, they may be fine for pvp but you probably won't find many in raids unless they are tanking. Mercenary is the class you want to play for both DPS and Healing. Powertech is a Tank. Of course this is not to say it won't change in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devidoll View Post
    As far as I've read: Powertech is not a viable dps class for endgame pve, they may be fine for pvp but you probably won't find many in raids unless they are tanking. Mercenary is the class you want to play for both DPS and Healing. Powertech is a Tank. Of course this is not to say it won't change in the future.
    Where are you getting that from?
    Is it just the same sort of thinking as a Sniper isn't viable because the group the downed EV didn't have one in their group?

Powertech is mostly up-close combat, sorta melee. Flame-thrower, hidden blade, rocket punch, etc. Merc gets dual pistols, lots of missles, rockets, etc.

---------- Post added 2011-12-03 at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vazar_da_priest View Post
    ill try them both out this weekend
    does the merc get a jetpack?
    Merc gets one of the coolest (looking) abilities ever: Death From Above. It's basically a Raid of Fire/Blizzard style AoE, but you fly up in the air and fire a bunch of rockets into the target area. I could take four mobs, fire an explosive missile on the middle mob, which blows up hitting him and all the others and knocking them down, then DFA all of them, they'd be dead LONG before they got to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death from above is a universal BH move, not just Merc. (Unless that was recently changed)

Where are you getting that from?
    Is it just the same sort of thinking as a Sniper isn't viable because the group the downed EV didn't have one in their group?
    Powertechs have more armor and one blaster, they are built to have better survivability than the Mercenary.
    Mercenarys have 2 blasters and no personal shield generators, ie less survivability.

While it's true that they have a tree with the same name this tree has different talents that suggest that one does more dps than the other:
    Powertechs have a talent Bursting Flame which has a [33.34 / 66.68 / 100.02]% chance to trigger your Combustible Gas Cylinder if active.http://www.torhead.com/ability/aq7NUQX and Iron Fist which increases the damage dealt by Rocket Punch by [4 / 8]% http://www.torhead.com/ability/harAZkf. Where Mercenary's have +3% aim which is the primary stat that increases a bounty hunters overall damage (with each spell) and System Calibrations which increases alacrity by [2 / 4]% http://www.torhead.com/ability/aiSS0tS.

The time increase in cast speed and damage on each spell via aim is better for damage than +8% on one ability (that you have to stand in melee for) and getting a 1295 additional elemental damage over 6 second on a target while the other ability is active which we're not clear as too the c/d of Bursting Flame.

Depends on how you want your play style to be, Powertech is mid range to melee range dps/tank Merc is ranged dps/healer
    I am going Powertech Firebug because PT gets a boost to firebug from what ive seen as far as the talents from the other 2 trees

Death from above is a universal BH move, not just Merc. (Unless that was recently changed)
    I was thinking that, couldn't remember when I got it... Oh well. Still badass as hell. I'd think Merc would probably use it more than PT anyway.