Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you believe in "romantic love"?

By romantic love I mean Valentines day type love. The type of love that gets people married.

For me I think romantic love is bullshit. I think its just something are brains trick us into feeling so we can validate are physical attraction to someone.

But what is your opinion of romantic love? Do you believe in it or do you think its bullshit?

I believe in it, but I believe some people aren't suited to it either.

Also, our emotions validate just about every physical thing we do, so....

romantic love... I believe in it because I'm in it now

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in love. I married the man of my dreams and I'm happier than I ever thought I could be.

People who don't believe in love simply haven't fallen yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    By romantic love I mean Valentines day type love. The type of love that gets people married.

For me I think romantic love is bullshit. I think its just something are brains trick us into feeling so we can validate are physical attraction to someone.

But what is your opinion of romantic love? Do you believe in it or do you think its bullshit?
    first of all i think its important to say im a male lol i feel love very strongly and i can honestly say that if someone doesn't have a great personality i don't fall for them or feel attracted to them, not trying to say that the physical side isnt important cos it is for first impression and a relationship wouldnt work if you weren't hot for the other person, i just dont think its only a physical thing i feel love very strongly and i feel sad for those who dont know what its like i feel so lucky everyday for my beautiful partner

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 04:12 AM ----------

oh and i wish you luck finding someone who will make you feel like we all do

I believe there is "true love" but deep down the vast majority of it is bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in chemical reactions and brain stimulation, if that is romantic love then yes I believe in it. I don't believe in a mysterious guiding force that leads you to the woman/man of your dreams.

Yes I believe in it. Sometimes feelings go far beyond physical attraction and have to do with the people themselves. Hell, sometimes there is no physical attraction, other than what gets caused by your emotional feelings for the person. So yes, it exists. It is very easy to be skeptical if you have never experienced it, though. However, I do not believe in things like two people being meant to be together by fate. That is just nonsense.

I think its just something are brains trick us into feeling so we can validate are physical attraction to someone.
    In other words, it's an observable physical phenomenon. You pretty much refuted your own post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Scientifically, we all have to recognize that "love" is a chemical attraction mechanism which gets us together. But this initial "love" is really just the lust part of our attraction leaking out. True "love" comes through time investment and dedication to one person, and ultimately you get out what you put in. Anyone can tell you what love is or isn't, but ultimately "valentine's day" love is what you make of it.

If you believe it's worthless, it will be worthless. If you're willing to admit that it is worthwhile and you invest time in your relationships, you may be surprised by how true love really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly. You just have to click with someone on a slightly "deeper" level to see it, usually.

Then again, you have a point. I won't deny using physical attraction as a paving stone; it's not like I'm going to edge in romance and roses with someone I'm not attracted to. The physical side of things is important to some people. I daresay... most people.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. If you take care of yourself, it's only natural to want to find an attractive partner in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkhet View Post
    "Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but will kill you all the same."
    <3
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2011-12-04 at 03:47 PM.

"Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but will kill you all the same."

Yes I believe in it, but it seems the type of love you are talking about usually passes with time. I think some people think that type of love is meant to go on forever. There is a different type of love after you been with someone for a very long time. That type takes time to develop.

Romantic love is just something to sell movies or sell any artist songs to mostly desperate people.

I do believe in love but not that kind of romance cute little kitten, flowers bath and Valentine day BS

Deleted
    A fabrication by clever writers and storytellers, further perpetuated by the media, imo. I believe in friendships that are close enough for people to want to have sex, but I think people feel that (due to religion and other factors) you have to claim that it's ''love'' for it to not be taboo to want to do someone.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    A fabrication by clever writers and storytellers, further perpetuated by the media, imo. I believe in friendships that are close enough for people to want to have sex, but I think people feel that (due to religion and other factors) you have to claim that it's ''love'' for it to not be taboo to want to do someone.
    So, are these neuroscientists in on the clever fabrication?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22119059

Deleted
    Of course I do, there is enough evidence from people being helplessly in love for it to be believable.

But does it last for ever? Hell no.

I believe in my observations and not having observed "romantic love", I can't believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    I believe in my observations and not having observed "romantic love", I can't believe in it.
    Have you ever played pro football? If not, are you reasonably sure that no one else does either?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Have you ever played pro football? If not, are you reasonably sure that no one else does either?
    Stupid comparison, of course I have seen other people play it so I know they exist.