Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Stupid comparison, of course I have seen other people play it so I know they exist.
    Yet you've never seen people in love? If the comparison is stupid, it's only a result of how jawdroppingly moronic your "I haven't had it, so it's fake!" line of thinking is.

Deleted
    I don't know what Bono's got against it...

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in anger, laughter and nervousness. Why shouldn't I believe in romantic love?

Now, WHY we have these feelings, on the other hand, is another can of worms...
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    A fabrication by clever writers and storytellers, further perpetuated by the media, imo. I believe in friendships that are close enough for people to want to have sex, but I think people feel that (due to religion and other factors) you have to claim that it's ''love'' for it to not be taboo to want to do someone.
    Lol. "Hide yo wife! And yo kids! It's a conspiracy!" Made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I believe in it, but I believe some people aren't suited to it either.

Also, our emotions validate just about every physical thing we do, so....
    To the OP...you've never been in love so you don't think it exists. I understand to some extent.

Boondocks explains it better

Wut....

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Now, WHY we have these feelings, on the other hand, is another can of worms...
    It is? While I'm skeptical of some of their scholarship, the evo-psych folks seem to pretty much be on the right track.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in it because I have seen my parents succeed at true love.

But then again... I think somewhere around 60% to maybe even 85% of relationships are not true love. They are more centered around love from necessity. Maybe the percentage isn't that high but I know for a fact that it is relatively high.

There are just too many girls I know, that their husbands are fairly oblivious too, that are only in "love" because they needed shelter, food, money, got pregnant, or just grabbed the closest guy to them.
    Men do the same thing.

I know one girl who prompted to cheat on and leave her husband before she got pregnant. Another who stole money from multiple boyfriends from their ATM cards. I could tell stories.

Food for thought: when Facebook was invented, divorce skyrocketed in large measurements from it. True story. Makes you wonder if love is thinner than what we think.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2011-12-04 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Food for thought: when Facebook was invented, divorce skyrocketed in large measurements from it. True story. Makes you wonder if love is thinner than what we think.
    Divorce rates have declined in the United States since the mid-70s. Don't believe everything your friends tell you...

Deleted
    I do since Thursday XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Divorce rates have declined in the United States since the mid-70s. Don't believe everything your friends tell you...
    From it not in total history of the United States. Studies all show that partner on facebook was leading cause of divorce. I dont get news from friends, just facts.

From it not in total history of the United States. Studies all show that partner on facebook was leading cause of divorce. I dont get news from friends, just facts.
    Care to provide an example of these putative "studies"? I'm getting the impression that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, which is always kind of funny when combined with absolute certainty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Care to provide an example of these putative "studies"? I'm getting the impression that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, which is always kind of funny when combined with absolute certainty.
    I am not trying to be rude with this link, but it really is to show the emphasis of such a popular topic. You can pick from any first 5 pages.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facebook+increased+divorce

You got anything from divorce lawyers to psychologists that you can choose from.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2011-12-04 at 05:00 PM.

I am not trying to be rude with this link, but it really is to show the emphasis of such a popular topic. You can pick from any first 5 pages.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facebook+increased+divorce

You got anything from divorce lawyers to psychologists that you can choose from.

If you really want to damage your perception on love, just visit the southern United States below the Mason dixey line and in the poverty belt of America. I know from experience I have seen a lot of people marry in necessity there. I have seen a lot of desperate people do desperate things.

Not to bash on southerns because its not there fault, just a result of poverty, and I love a good crash derby rodeo as the next guy.
    It would have been shorter to just admit that you haven't actually looked at studies, you just thought it sounded more credible that way.

Additionally, your original claim was that divorce "skyrocketed". Since it's actually down, that's quite obviously not true.

There probably is, but seeing people that "fall in love" and break up a week later isn't helping the concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would have been shorter to just admit that you haven't actually looked at studies, you just thought it sounded more credible that way.

Additionally, your original claim was that divorce "skyrocketed". Since it's actually down, that's quite obviously not true.
    There are plenty of studies, news articles, claims right there. It is really just simple google search away. You can attack me if you want, but it isn't going to change the subject. You can discuss in here what I have or have not looked at 5 years ago and recently or you can discuss the topic.

Taking my words out of context isn't satisfiable argument. Just changing the subject.

I am not going to bother discussing you're opinion of me and what I thought was credible, but you could find some research that contradicts. That would be productive.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2011-12-04 at 05:23 PM.

There are plenty of studies, news articles, claims right there. It is really just simple google search away. You can attack me if you want, but it isn't going to change the subject. You can discuss in here what I have or have not looked at 5 years ago and recently or you can discuss the topic.

Taking my words out of context isn't satisfiable argument. Just changing the subject.

I am not going to bother discussing you're opinion of me and what I thought was credible, but you could find some research that contradicts. That would be productive.
    Full context of your statement is -

"Food for thought: when Facebook was invented, divorce skyrocketed in large measurements from it. True story. Makes you wonder if love is thinner than what we think."

That is, plain and simply, untrue. You've not provided any evidence for it, and you've been corrected regarding divorce statistics. Maintaining your belief in the face of facts is a great example of denialism though, and you're not really worth wasting any more time on.

Yet you've never seen people in love? If the comparison is stupid, it's only a result of how jawdroppingly moronic your "I haven't had it, so it's fake!" line of thinking is.
    More like "I haven't had it, so I have no opinion on the matter"

I refer to that as the rabbit year and yes I believe in it, but it doesn't last forever, you can still keep the fire alive though it just needs a little bit of work once the "rabbit" year has gone by, that first year of every relationship is when you learn to know the person you love inside out and most of your life revolves around that person... not to mention the insane amount of sex involved(hence why I call it the rabbit year). The intensity then goes down a little bit but as I said it's perfectly possible to keep that fire burning... just not as intense and other things come into play as well, you might say the love between you and your partner grows more mature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Full context of your statement is -

"Food for thought: when Facebook was invented, divorce skyrocketed in large measurements from it. True story. Makes you wonder if love is thinner than what we think."

That is, plain and simply, untrue. You've not provided any evidence for it, and you've been corrected regarding divorce statistics. Maintaining your belief in the face of facts is a great example of denialism though, and you're not really worth wasting any more time on.
    There are hundreds of links to the divorce lawyers and psychologist that have discussed it, and that's not really close to half of what is available. All from credible news sites, credible psychologist, credible law firms statistics, and American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. I never really said anything in context of divorce as a whole, divorce as a certain nation, divorce as a certain demographic, or divorce in a mass time frame like you're saying. I am ok with you disagreeing though.

http://www.cordellcordell.com/press/...lder-americans
    http://www.divorce.com/article/more-facebook-divorce
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ch-claims.html
    http://thetechjournal.com/internet/f...-divorce.xhtml
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/facebook...ews-10312.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    By romantic love I mean Valentines day type love. The type of love that gets people married.

For me I think romantic love is bullshit. I think its just something are brains trick us into feeling so we can validate are physical attraction to someone.

But what is your opinion of romantic love? Do you believe in it or do you think its bullshit?
    I believe romantic love can stem from companionship.

I also believe that it is way more rare than people think it is.

Romantic love isn't a constant, it's something that surfaces during intimate moments: dinner, walks on a summer night, occasionally sex, all that shit.

If it's going going all the time, it will burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Everything you experience is a trick of the brain.
    This opinion you have? It's not 'real', it's your brain making you believe it
    As a man of science, I can safely say that being able to explain the miraculous doesn't take away from it for me.

It is simply the medium we require to exist.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2011-12-04 at 07:36 PM.