Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are you worried about Carrier IQ?

Recently it was discovered that almost EVERY smartphone including the iPhones and Blackberries have a program installed from a company called Carrier IQ. This program is hidden deep in the phones, cannot be turned off, and
    cannot be removed easily. It also has complete access to everything on your phone including your address book, SMS, and even what you type.

This includes information that you type into other apps and the web browser, even if you think it's supposed to be secure. Stuff like web banking, credit card information, and Intranet user ID/Passwords. On top of that, the people that made this program, placed no security on it, so hackers are free to hijack the program for their own use.

http://bit.ly/tisSzj

In essence, almost every smartphone out there has been bugged, and it's solely up to the carrier if they respect your privacy, or data-mine your personal information without your consent. On another note: the California Supreme Court says that the police can search your phone without a warrant http://bit.ly/t3znHz So then why do it in person, when they can search everyone's phones remotely?

Worried yet?
    Last edited by xenoz; 2011-12-04 at 07:03 PM.

Deleted
    I am concerned but what the hell can I do... I am not gonna stop using my phone.

Sheeps are gonna sheep and because of that this changes nothing.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    what reve said, basically; might not like it, but what can I do?
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    what reve said, basically; might not like it, but what can I do?
    What do you actually need smartphones for? Can't you send messages and speak with just a regular one with no capability to hold such shit?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    I am concerned but what the hell can I do... I am not gonna stop using my phone.
    Short answer, YES, stop using your bugged phone.
    Or at least say, "HEY, this is F'ed up and I want this crap taken out of my phone NOW!"
    Sue, make a noise, throw your phone at phone execs... SOMETHING!!
    Don't just sit there, shrug, and say "oh well, shall I bend over to give you easier access?"
    Last edited by xenoz; 2011-12-04 at 06:12 PM.

Well, I found myself using the app that checks your phone for CIQ, so I guess I am.
    Not all smart phones have CIQ on them. Mine doesn't, apparently. If I ever found out it did, I'd probably stop using it.

Sure, my phone's nice to have, but it's not like I really need it. And if I ever found it necessary to give it up, it'd save me 25 bucks a month at the cost of not being able to receive messages from friends while I'm out of the house. And I don't leave the house that often, so it's not a huge deal.

If you're concerned, have a carrier that uses CIQ, but don't want to give up your phone, you can switch to a carrier or specific phone model that doesn't use CIQ. I'm sure if you google around a little, you can find one. So far, all signs say that the Optimus V doesn't use CIQ, and I've seen a list of about 10 other phones, I think, that doesn't use it.
    Last edited by Pitchkart; 2011-12-04 at 06:24 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    What do you actually need smartphones for? Can't you send messages and speak with just a regular one with no capability to hold such shit?
    But I need to watch TV on my phone and own a new expenssive phone to feel special!

But you're right. It's all completely unneccesary stuff.
    Then again, I don't have anything to hide, so go ahead and listen to my phonecalls. Even though I don't have a cellphone of these types.

Deleted
    Even if we ignore all the incredibly useful stuff such as internet browser, mp3 player and camera, there is still one thing: EMAIL. I can't imagine my student and most importantly professional life without having new emails delivered every 15min if they come.

And about lawsuits and such, if that happens, that will be most useful where the company's HQ is, USA most likely.

Also, after about 20s on Google I found this from Apple, so I am fine. For now...

We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2011-12-04 at 06:35 PM.

The program doesn't do anything malicious, nor is it a key logger. It merely knows that you are pushing a button, and monitors where calls are dropped and text messages are lost at (individual towers). At least half a dozen major security firms have come out and stated this already. Why would you guys care?

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Also, after about 20s on Google I found this from Apple, so I am fine. For now...

We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so.
    Not to sound pessimist, but all that means is that they're not using Carrier IQ's software. That doesn't exclude the likelihood that they just decided to use in-house software to do the same thing. Also, the Apple OS is proprietary, so there's no way to independently verify their claims since they'll never release their source code.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    The program doesn't do anything malicious, nor is it a key logger. It merely knows that you are pushing a button, and monitors where calls are dropped and text messages are lost at (individual towers). At least half a dozen major security firms have come out and stated this already. Why would you guys care?
    Why would you guys care:
    1. This software was hidden from view.
    2. Is impossible to turn off without extreme effort.
    3. It bypasses all privacy filters between apps, and SSL.
    4. It's the perfect tool for hackers to exploit.
    5. I don't like the idea of ANY program recording and/or forwarding to a carrier what I type, where I go, what I read without my knowledge, or consent.
    6. This is yet another, in a long line of privacy violations that corporations levy on their customers, while governments complicity allow it because it makes it easier to monitor and control their populations.

But what's a little violation when it means I can watch a cute kitty dance on my phone. Look at da' cute kitty... awwww
    Last edited by xenoz; 2011-12-04 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenoz View Post
    This program is hidden deep in the phones, cannot be turned off, and
    cannot be removed easily.

On top of that, the people that made this program, placed no security on it, so hackers are free to hijack the program for their own use.
    ???Wut???

If you can get into it, you can shut it down. There may not be a blatantly obvious 'OFF' switch. But if you can get into the program without by-passing secruity, then you can easily shut it down using some kind of code to confuse it.

And back OT. I'm not worried, governments and courts would not allow the search of someones random phone to try to dig up evidence. IF they do find it to be necessary to search your phone for evidence, then you probably deserved this invasion of privacy.

4. It's the perfect tool for hackers to exploit.
    Its and security encrypted message, there is no way they would break the code for everything that someone can do on their smart phone.

5. I don't like the idea of ANY program recording and/or forwarding to a carrier what I type, where I go, what I read without my knowledge, or consent.
    Why? It sends data on where calls have been lost or text message have not gone through. It lets the service provider know which towers are not preforming as well as the should be.

6. This is yet another, in a long line of privacy violations that corporations levy on their customers, while governments complicity allow it because it makes it easier to monitor and control their populations.
    If governments did not monitor or control their populations this world be one giant shit hole. Do you know how many fucked up/insane/scum bag people there are on this planet? I would consider it global suicide if nations decided to not govern their people. Let everyone run around willy-nilly. NOT COOL.
    Last edited by Cheddabezze; 2011-12-04 at 07:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddabezze View Post
    ???Wut???

If you can get into it, you can shut it down. There may not be a blatantly obvious 'OFF' switch. But if you can get into the program without by-passing secruity, then you can easily shut it down using some kind of code to confuse it.

And back OT. I'm not worried, governments and courts would not allow the search of someones random phone to try to dig up evidence. IF they do find it to be necessary to search your phone for evidence, then you probably deserved this invasion of privacy.
    Rofl so naive, homeland security and the patriot act says hi.
    Main
    Epox
    PvP Alt (lololol Icelance)
    Zyke
    Decent Alts
    Nyli
    Ashuna

Quote Originally Posted by Epox View Post
    Rofl so naive, homeland security says hi.
    Give me one reason why they would waste time, money, and man-hours to constantly search every text message, every key stroke, every search you and the rest of the billions of people that have cell phones. It's simply a computer that stores info on each wireless provider. The only reason you should be worried is if you really fucked up and did something suspicious. And even then, if you did search for how to make pipe bombs on google, but never followed through with it. The government won't waste time going through with it. Its simply a fall back plan the governments can use as evidence against really dangerous people.

Not really, CarrierIQ crapware is not installed on Nexus devices and the original XOOM....I have a Nexus One and looking to upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus.....although I still the amount of violation of privacy is outrageous....unless its true what they say and most of the logged data is never transmitted.....although it will forever remain creepy!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddabezze View Post
    ???Wut???

I'm sure it's not impossible, but how many people do you know that are capable of hacking their smartphone to turn off a program, that carriers don't want turned off? If you recall on my original post, the California Supreme court essentially said they can search your phone without a warrant. They don't even need probable cause. There's a reason police can't search your car trunk, your property, and your home without a warrant, and those reasons are completely ignored for electronic devices which hold far more information about you.

I find it seriously disturbing how easily people are willing to just hand over their private lives to corporations and the police, without consideration that they want it so they can exploit you, or so they have a reason to jail you.

I don't really give a shit because I rooted my android phone and got rid of it.

who knows all I do is text so I pay 5 bucks a month for 250 outgoing and free incoming on pay as you go.

If you have any apps downloaded at all, it's likely that you've got your information being sent out to multiple companies.

A great many apps do this, Apple itself does this.
    Last edited by Pert; 2011-12-04 at 07:26 PM.

I find it seriously disturbing how easily people are willing to just hand over their private lives to corporations and the police, without consideration that they want it so they can exploit you, or so they have a reason to jail you.
    There not just going to be like 'OH today seems like a good day to rifle through Xenoz life and personal data.' Your not that special, sorry

And back to the hackers, because I have a feeling you would come up with a counter response to that topic. The data is not stored in your phones, its stored in some giant giant server, somewhere far away. Hackers would need to by-pass a boat load of security just to get into the server, undetected I might add, the proceed to data mine through a bunch of random garbage code, to find ONE persons personal info, then data mine that and decypher the encrypted code to find what they want. Its not going to happen. No way. They would get caught as soon as the by-passed the main servers first line of defense