Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GW2 Graphical Scaling

Does anybody have any information on how well Guild Wars 2 scales graphically? Google has failed me, so I'm turning myself over to the good people here.

One of the things that has kept WoW popular over the years is that it will run on pretty much anything: Nvidia, ATI, hardware from 2002, hardware from 2011, Windows, Mac, Linux, several toasters, etc. On the flip side, high graphical requirements will keep the games out of the hands of many players who might be restricted to "the computer their family owns", and I've seen quite a few MMOs recently that take a huge hit graphically without returning enough performance when you crank settings down (RIFT says "hello").

10+ Year Old Account
    basically if you can run GW1 on High you can run GW2 at least on Low, nothing has been optimized yet, but basically if you have a pc circa 2006+ you could manage just fine.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    No system requirements have been announced by ANet, but Odeezee pretty much answers the question you're asking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they'd release specs soon. I don't understand how a game can look so amazing and yet run on "computers that are so old they aren't being made anymore."

2 words :
    -optimization
    -umbra

10+ Year Old Account
    Off topic, but how do you think it will run on an iMac 27"?

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5-2400
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    12GB (two 2GB + two 4GB) RAM
    1TB hard drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB VRAM
    Running windows 7 Home Premium in bootcamp
    Last edited by Majik8ball; 2011-12-05 at 06:17 AM.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

10+ Year Old Account
    ArenaNet said they have been buying old graphics cards that can't be bought new anymore from eBay.
    They're developing the graphics engine so that you will have an acceptable (acceptable, not ultra) experience on an 8800gt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    ArenaNet said they have been buying old graphics cards that can't be bought new anymore from eBay.
    They're developing the graphics engine so that you will have an acceptable (acceptable, not ultra) experience on an 8800gt.
    Acceptable is a matter of opinion though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That makes me happy, because I'm using a EVGA 9500GT

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Acceptable is a matter of opinion though.
    So's ultra.

if they're smart they'd let it run on lowest settings on intel onboard graphics like blizz does.

My GTX460 better do the trick or i'm pulling my hair out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the computer I am buying will run on ultra settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    if they're smart they'd let it run on lowest settings on intel onboard graphics like blizz does.
    That would indeed be a smart move. More game companies need to realize that, awful as it is, Intel integrated graphics have something like a 50% PC marketshare. Weak or not, those sort of numbers are pretty hard to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    2 words :
    -optimization
    -umbra
    If it works anything like Mass Effect 2 does (which apparently also uses Umbra) then that's going to be fantastic. ME2 looks great and runs great even though my rig is pretty far from cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    If it works anything like Mass Effect 2 does (which apparently also uses Umbra) then that's going to be fantastic. ME2 looks great and runs great even though my rig is pretty far from cutting edge.
    i never played ME2 but the point in using umbra (or any occlusion technique that is) is to have the GPU render only what is meant to be visible on screen, as opposed to many (most as of now) games which waste GPU render time with non-visible objects. worse, some games (including very known ones) artificially require more GPU power by rendering things that are never visible or so little.

in the end, Anet is one of the few studios that doesn't push people to update their GPUs every 6 months to play their games, which is a damn good thing if you ask me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    Does anybody have any information on how well Guild Wars 2 scales graphically? Google has failed me, so I'm turning myself over to the good people here.

One of the things that has kept WoW popular over the years is that it will run on pretty much anything: Nvidia, ATI, hardware from 2002, hardware from 2011, Windows, Mac, Linux, several toasters, etc. On the flip side, high graphical requirements will keep the games out of the hands of many players who might be restricted to "the computer their family owns", and I've seen quite a few MMOs recently that take a huge hit graphically without returning enough performance when you crank settings down (RIFT says "hello").
    Think the last patch in Rift made the graphics better to the ones using lower kind of it. Dont know if it worked as intended
    But yea, thats probably why wow will keep on being the biggest mmo for quite some time ahead, just because it works so smooth on almost any computer
    I hope my computer will be able to handle GW2, it works fine with Rift though so yea... guess they will tell us about system requirements "when it's ready"

Quote Originally Posted by Majik8ball View Post
    Off topic, but how do you think it will run on an iMac 27"?

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5-2400
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    12GB (two 2GB + two 4GB) RAM
    1TB hard drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB VRAM
    Running windows 7 Home Premium in bootcamp
    Perfectly fine....

I think that's one reason WoW has been on top for so long. Anyone can play it on almost any machine. And they would be smart to accomodate people with intel integrated graphics, as someone above pointed out.

Would be kind of interesting to see a side-by-side of some basic gameplay section given different rigs at different settings. Quite a task for a company to set up, but I think now would be the right time for it, if the low-end quality is O. It would get a good undertone to the GW2 conversation ("And it will look alright even on old machines!") so that any gaming groups (i.e. a set of friends who game together) pondering picking it up will know whether it's going to be worth it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I think that's one reason WoW has been on top for so long. Anyone can play it on almost any machine. And they would be smart to accomodate people with intel integrated graphics, as someone above pointed out.
    wow can run on about any machine because its engine was already quite outdated to begin with even at release, not because they optimized it (quite the opposite actually).