Having THE WORST time picking out upgrades. Need help. Budget.

This is probably my 3rd time making a thread like this so I apologize. I'm just having the worst time picking out upgrades for my computer haha.

My PC is 2 years old and I'm looking to upgrade it to play Battlefield 3 (On High at least, doesn't have to max) and SWTOR pretty much since it already plays Skyrim on High settings (oddly...) and because it just needs an upgrade. So here is what my computer currently is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 running @ 3.0Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    RAM: G.Skill 2x2 4GB DDR2 800
    GFX Card: Radeon HD 4850
    PSU: Corsair VX550W
    Case: Lancool Dragonlord PC-K92

I'm on a budget of $600 max. I'm looking to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard, Ram, and GFX Card. If anyone can recommend me parts to fit that budget that would help a ton. I read reviews on Newegg and it always makes it harder to pick haha. Really the hardest thing I'm having trouble with is the Motherboard and CPU.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptz View Post
    So here is what my computer currently is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 running @ 3.0Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    RAM: G.Skill 2x2 4GB DDR2 800
    GFX Card: Radeon HD 4850
    PSU: Corsair VX550W
    Case: Lancool Dragonlord PC-K92
    CPU and Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.777645
    GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

Thats a total of about 500 or so. That will leave you enough for Memory (8bg 1600) and some left over. You can use your same HDD, DVDRW, PSU, and Case.

EDIT: The mobo is a m-atx. If that isnt something you are interested in, I can try again.

EDIT2: Check your Arctic Cooling freezer to verify that it is a REV2.0 model. Otherwise you'll need to buy a new CPU heatsink/fan (or just stick with stock cooling but no overclocking).
    Last edited by babalou1; 2011-12-05 at 08:54 PM.

Something like this would work:

i5 2500k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115073

*Mostly* any Z68/P67 motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128502

G.Skill 8GB Ripjaws X - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428

EVGA GTX 560 Ti - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130604

Should bring you to $600 even (after rebates), not including shipping. The i5 2500k can be found cheaper at Fry's if you have one local. The motherboard is just a example. Asus/Gigabyte usually makes good ones, so you can find a cheaper one there.

do you have installs of your OS? If you have the disks from an original build they can be used on three systems. If you don't, or you bought the OEM version (like I did), you will need to add in a new OS. OS are linked to the MoBo.

with your budget, you might want to consider looking at this set up
    i3 2130 ($150)
    550 ti ($150)
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 ($150)
    Kingston HyperX 8GB ($50)

I think you want to keep the value in the MoBo so that you can upgrade around it as you add new parts. This will leave you with $100 for the OS if you need it. If not, GET THE i5!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Monster View Post
    or you bought the OEM version (like I did), you will need to add in a new OS. OS are linked to the MoBo.
    this is false, not sure why so many people on this site keep saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by dabros View Post
    unless you are doing some form of a workaround, which is piracy, then my statement stands. In fact, I just went through my terms of service written on my OEM's packaging. The software license can only be used on a single "customer system" which is defined as a CPU, motherboard, power supply, internally mounted NAND or revolving magnetic-based hard drive and a case.

Something I didn't know about the OS when upgrading. I had bought Windows Vista OEM when I first built my PC and then upgraded a year later to Windows 7 64 bit. So basically I will have to buy Windows 7 again?

EDIT: If so, this is what I'm looking at based of off what Little Monster recommended because it is pretty close to what I've been looking at myself.
    Last edited by Kryptz; 2011-12-05 at 10:43 PM.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

your build looks good to me. It wont be a power house machine, but it will run much better then what you have now. Also, that MoBo will allow you to easily upgrade that processor down the road... Ivy Bridge is supposed to be LGA 1155 backwards compatible.

Let me put it this way: if your W7 came in a white box with red tape at both ends, that was a builders copy and you only get one install. If your W7 came in the hard plastic jewel case that flips out, then you get three copies. I have no clue about WVista licensing or how your upgrade will work. Perhaps if you had multiple installs of Vista and multiple instals of W7-upgrade then you would be set... I just don't know.

My Windows Vista was a builders copy with one disc, one use. My Windows 7 was an UPGRADE FROM WINDOWS VISTA copy so therefore I am going to need a new version.

Other than that, all I'm looking for out of this upgrade is for a little better play on SWTOR and to be able to play BF3 so this should do it.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

I've always reused my OEM copies when I build a new system, though the last few builds have been with win 7 pro keys from technet subscriptions.

Have you tried over-clocking your CPU?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dabros View Post
    They say this because its actually true.
    Even Microsoft themselves says the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft Licensing FAQ
    Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?

A. The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.
    Source: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/lice..._faq.aspx#faq2