Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    I know!

I would had never seen myself playing a Star Wars MMO.
    can i link to you whenever people say they aren't playing because its star wars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Trollsbane, Jedi sodomist.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    But you guys do not have to forget that thee must be 2 Million players over a complete year to get the develpoment costs back. But in this time, the server costs will raise. They spent too much money they cant get back, the second game after Battlefield.

And the game is still buggy. And we know the QQer. Yes, we know them. And we know what will happen (if you are not naive)
    Weird...I saw numbers very different than this but perhaps I'm wrong. Care to expand on any of this? Also, how are the server costs going to go up?

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    Funny.. because the consensus I am getting from general chat is that a lot of ppl that were mildly interested rushed out and pre-ordered it after they played the beta.. I thought it was probably the best open beta I have ever played (and I played close beta.. and it wasn't nearly as good as the open beta in terms of lag/performance).
    If you look at threads in forums (not only on mmo-champion) there are two kinds of threads. One where people love the game and are amazed how good it is. The other kind is the opposite where people are disappointed from the game because everything takes too long to achieve and/or are disappointed because it's not that special and so on.

I would say that there are slightly more people who liked the beta but there are still a lot of people who didn't liked it. I think there will be 1.5-1.7 million players at launch and it won't be more than 3 million players because it isn't that accessible to casual players because character progression is really slow compared to other mmos.

It's really hard to tell you how the game feels.. As a 7 year WoW veteran (and raided 40 men, 10 men, 25 men hardcore with 5 lvl 85 alts).. I really thought they game felt quite different with companion.. In WoW, solo levelling => DPS spec.. period.. Anything else you are just making it slower for yourself. Not true in SWTOR, I can go tank or healer and select a high DPS companion.. I can actually level pretty well (I actually thought I level better with tank + dps companion better than dps + tank companion).

Second, I've pretty much exclusively raided as healer/dps in WoW.. Let me tell you something.. offspec dps healing DOES NOT exist in WoW raid.. It's either too weak or your GL will criticize you as not killing things fast enough (HELLO BERSERK PHASE!). Not the case in SWTOR, dps that can heal a bit and should help heal during certain phase of the combat.. That is something I love to see as well.

Why are people so intent on seeing this game fail?

You bitch about WoW all year every year, then when a new MMO starts getting hyped up WoW is awesome again and the new game will not "beat" it.

Seriously, grow up out of this stupid fanboy, bipolar mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    But you guys do not have to forget that thee must be 2 Million players over a complete year to get the develpoment costs back. But in this time, the server costs will raise. They spent too much money they cant get back, the second game after Battlefield.

And the game is still buggy. And we know the QQer. Yes, we know them. And we know what will happen (if you are not naive)
    Actually it's been said many times that they need 500k to be profitable and that 1 million and over would have it be a great investment.

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/201...-at-1-million/

Honestly they are going to be making a lot of their money back from box sales alone. They have over 900k preorders according to vgchartz, and that is only from US stores, it doesn't take into account digital download preorders or preorders from places like Europe. Also then you have to figure in how the different pricing for this game you have the standard edition for $60, the digital deluxe for $80, and the collectors edition (which most stores that carried it have sold out) for $150. I think they're well on track to have a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    If you look at threads in forums (not only on mmo-champion) there are two kinds of threads. One where people love the game and are amazed how good it is. The other kind is the opposite where people are disappointed from the game because everything takes too long to achieve and/or are disappointed because it's not that special and so on.

I would say that there are slightly more people who liked the beta but there are still a lot of people who didn't liked it. I think there will be 1.5-1.7 million players at launch and it won't be more than 3 million players because it isn't that accessible to casual players because character progression is really slow compared to other mmos.
    Umm.. vanilla WoW's character progression was far worse.. In fact, after 55 you actually needed to grind a bit in order to hit the magical 60. What is this "other mmo" you are talking about? Hell even Rift to me was ridiculously slow..

Also it's not about how long it takes to get to lvl 50.. it's about if it's fun..

Like I said before.. there is a segement of MMO players that ONLY cares of end game. and ONLY cares of loots and their item level.. They were the majority in UO/EQ days, but I am not so sure if that's the case anymore after WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    it isn't that accessible to casual players
    SOLD! where can I pre-order it?
    omg omg omg a game that inst dumbed down to hell due to casuals? wooohoooo.

Also, who gives a crap about if it has 10 million or 2 million, the quality of a game does NOT reflect in the amount of people playing it, it reflects preference.
    Stop being such sheep/fanboys, quoting a silly band:

"You`re telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
    I`m telling you that fifty million screaming fans are f*cking morons"
    Last edited by aekya; 2011-12-07 at 05:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aekya View Post
    quoting a silly band:

"You`re telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
    I`m telling you that fifty million screaming fans are f*cking morons"
    love MSI !
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Trollsbane, Jedi sodomist.

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    Umm.. vanilla WoW's character progression was far worse.. In fact, after 55 you actually needed to grind a bit in order to hit the magical 60. What is this "other mmo" you are talking about? Hell even Rift to me was ridiculously slow..

Also it's not about how long it takes to get to lvl 50.. it's about if it's fun..

Like I said before.. there is a segement of MMO players that ONLY cares of end game. and ONLY cares of loots and their item level.. They were the majority in UO/EQ days, but I am not so sure if that's the case anymore after WoW.
    How Wow was 4 á 7 years ago is irrelevant because non of the MMO's are competing against WoW from that time. Your competing against Cata and when you don't have a polished game you risk losing in the end.

First of not everybody that played Beta will be buying SWTOR, and when they gave a free weekend and you got 2 million player you can assume that SWTOR won't have more than 2 million at launch but probably lower.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    First of not everybody that played Beta will be buying SWTOR, and when they gave a free weekend and you got 2 million player you can assume that SWTOR won't have more than 2 million at launch but probably lower.
    Lol. No. There are 3 million preorders world wide.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 07:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aekya View Post
    I am honestly more interested right now in T.E.R.A. considering how complex and skill based the game seems, but then again a bit o'salt as well. Admitedly the monk class in mists was enough to spark my interest, might make me buy it just to try for a few months, anything else? dont care, although i love asian theme as much as i love nord, soooo yeah.
    This makes a good point. Wow is switching demographics and in the new xpac they're competition will be Aion and Tera.
    Imo they won't even be trying to get U.S. players, especially since competition will be tough with SWTOR and GW2.
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    This makes a good point. Wow is switching demographics and in the new xpac they're competition will be Aion and Tera.
    Imo they won't even be trying to get U.S. players, especially since competition will be tough with SWTOR and GW2.
    To an extent. All three (WoW, SWToR, and GW2) are MMOs, but they're all different. GW2 is the most different, using a different payment model and game setup (so it's far less in direct competition). SWToR and WoW will be in direct competition, but they're *very* different genres. I expect that there are a lot of people who might be interested in SWToR who would never consider WoW, regardless of the next expac, either because they prefer sci-fi or just because it's Star Wars. Similarly, there are people like myself who prefer fantasy and/or aren't a fan of Star Wars, so won't consider SWToR a viable competitor to WoW (that doesn't mean that I think SWToR will be bad; I actually expect it will be very well done, just not for me).

There is a style change with MoP, but no more than there was from Vanilla to TBC (which, while not sci-fi, definitely took a nod in that direction), at least in my opinion.

I have no intentions of playing ToR, but I've been keeping up with it a bit and I really hope it does well. Competition is a good thing. Besides, if SWToR does well, Bioware may someday do what I wanted them to do in the first place: Dragon Age MMO :-P

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    How Wow was 4 á 7 years ago is irrelevant because non of the MMO's are competing against WoW from that time. Your competing against Cata and when you don't have a polished game you risk losing in the end.

Poor argument. It took WoW 7 years of polishing, development and tuning to get where it is today. Not to mention the initial development period to even get to vanilla. You cannot expect a new MMO to instantly blow that out of the water with just a few years development.
    But SWTOR is of to a good start. And it does plenty of fundamental things differently, and that has people interested.

Enough even that Blizzard is already starting to take ideas from SWTOR.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2011-12-07 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Enough even that Blizzard is already starting to take ideas from SWTOR.
    You won't win that argument.
    I've seen a poster on this forum tell another they used "facepalm" and therefore are indebted to wow which invented it.
    Another claimed SWTOR is copying wow monks, because two weeks ago they announced monks had no auto attack, and it turns out SWTOR doesn't either.
    Etc.

It like telling a piglet to stop sucking on it's mom's teet, an then realizing the piglet only speaks Chinese....
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    You won't win that argument.
    I've seen a poster on this forum tell another they used "facepalm" and therefore are indebted to wow which invented it.
    Another claimed SWTOR is copying wow monks, because two weeks ago they announced monks had no auto attack, and it turns out SWTOR doesn't either.
    Etc.

It like telling a piglet to stop sucking on it's mom's teet, an then realizing the piglet only speaks Chinese....
    As you stated, the Monk doesnt use autoattack. I havent followed SWTOR very closely, but its been a long known fact that one of their big diffirences is that the combat in SWTOR has no autoattack.
    If someone refuses to see that Blizzard is taking this idea for the Monk class from SWTOR, then that person is quite frankly an ignorant idiot. And not worth my time to even argue with, if you could call that an argument to begin with.

So im not aiming myself at "those" kind of people. Those kind of people are not the ones i want to play SWTOR anyway, let them stay in WoW. They are part of the reason im done with WoW.
    But as long as you and i know how things are, i am content with that. Also I never said anything is wrong with taking ideas from each other.
    The Monk-class is about the only thing that sounds interesting to me in MoP. And everyone will be, and ahs been, taking ideas from everyone, and adepting them to fit in their game to make for an overall more enjoyable experience. Nothing wrong with that, why reinvent the wheel everything you want to make a new car?

i played in 2 beta weekends(the thanksgiving one mentioned then the one that took place the following weekend). and while it was fun and during each of them i got 1 class to 25ish and a few others to 10 or so(ended up having all classes at at least 10 over the 2 betas). i will never, ever, be part of another MMO launch.

not after Star Trek. that game ruined MMO launches for me. i will however closely watch TOR and if after a few months the endgame seems decent, and Heroic mode DS fails to hold my attention, then i may switch. but really only if i can convince a decent number of my guildies to switch as well. at this point i only play WoW because of them, and i couldn't see myself playing another MMO without many of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by agnarr View Post
    Keep in mind that not even remotely close to all of the people buying the game, will play the beta.
    This guy right here.

/highfive

Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    it doesn't surprise me that the number is so high, considering everyone I know who applied to test got in. I think it even gets to the stage where they only invited people in order to increase the number of people who would play come launch, not that I look down on that in any way; quite the reverse. Good business sense.
    Everyone that applied for the beta got an invite for the stress test weekend, just so they could stress the servers out to make sure they'd handle launch.

Deleted
    Fact is a lot of smaller WoW guilds will probably disappear. With a roster of 10 to 15 people, 5 core raiders playing TOR will hurt...

My old guild (I do not play WoW anymore) is already struggling at the moment, due to crappy and repeating content...

I think they won't be able to continue raiding as a guild, will have to look for randoms or start pugging... and as result a few more will stop playing.

Even my girlfriend, who really does not like scifi loved the beta-weekend... was surprising, but positive

Deleted
    I didn't even participate the beta and I'm pre-ordering the game (was away that weekend).