Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

What if your government limited the amount of children you could have?

What if it was capped at 5 children? Would you care? 10 children? 20?

I find myself wondering this and I honestly don't know how I would react if this happened. On the one hand, I don't like the government telling you what you can do in terms of reproduction, but on the other hand, is having 20 kids really a good idea? I know of 1 family with an amount of children like that that isn't a strain on society where the kids are actually fed and cared for properly.

What if you could vote on such an issue? Would you vote it down?

Deleted
    I'd be fine capping at 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't care since I'll be having none.
    Something like that is unlikely to happen here, since most people have 2, maybe 3 children.
    As for voting, I'd vote yes for the limit. Unless you're rich, having more than 5 kids will drive you right into poverty anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    I always get nostalgic feels from listening to the elywnn music. I could hear the crickets and the moon was out, just running through elwynn down to goldshire. So beautiful. I was checking out the tavern, loved the music. Then a night elf asked me to suck his cock for 15s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpie View Post
    Something like that is unlikely to happen here, since most people have 2, maybe 3 children.
    As for voting, I'd vote yes for the limit. Unless you're rich, having more than 5 kids will drive you right into poverty anyway.
    Simply not true. If you're smart and a got a job and know how to handle kids, you're gonna be fine.

OT: It's limiting your personal freedom quite a lot... Unless there's gonna be a lot of overpopulation, i'd say no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpie View Post
    As for voting, I'd vote yes for the limit.
    I'll have to agree with this person.

The world population is getting out of control.
    "We learn from history, that we learn nothing from history." - George B. Shaw

1st world countries : no need for it. Our average is allready under 2 children per pair, which means that without immigration our population would decrease.

developing countries, specialy india and africa : hell yes, please ! I am all for it ! The explosion in population leads to huge problems there.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Simply not true. If you're smart and a got a job and know how to handle kids, you're gonna be fine.
    I was talking about situation in my country, since the question was about "your government". For example, in terms of childcare money (I'm not sure how is that correctly called in English), you get 8 lats/month (that's like 12 euros or something) per kid. It's certainly not enough to dress them, feed them, buy their school supplies, etc. So yes, you have to be quite well off in terms of money to support 5+ kids here (or, better yet, grant them a decent living, not just support - and no, I'm not talking about buying each kid an iphone or that kind of nonsense).
    Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    I always get nostalgic feels from listening to the elywnn music. I could hear the crickets and the moon was out, just running through elwynn down to goldshire. So beautiful. I was checking out the tavern, loved the music. Then a night elf asked me to suck his cock for 15s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't China do something along these lines, and it causes horrible moral issues towards any extra children that are born?

Deleted
    So if its capped at 3, and a family has four what happens? forced abortion? child killed at birth - its not a good policy

10+ Year Old Account
    There's one family where I live that has 11 kids. The kids are misbehaved, arrogant, rude and the parents do little to control them. Frequently, the eldest children do more parenting (and not a very good job of it) than the parents.

So I say yes, limit families to three.
    Putin khuliyo

Governments should totally do there best for having everyone at 2-3 kids, no more and more important no less. People who refuse to have kids are much worst to a country then a baby boomers are in the long term, I think that EU learn it now the hard way.

A good system is one that taxes people with no children or more then 3 children if the general welfare is what we have in mind.

Edit: The model in china is horrible and will totally get back at them in about 20-30 years or even less. There is no way china gonna be the next superpower if they keep up with the one child model, it is a sure way to economical crash.
    Last edited by Darsey; 2011-12-06 at 03:20 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, look it the other way around. If they don't put a limit, they will do something to control the amount of people we have in the planet, because we keep growing, and faster every new year. This has already become a problem.

I am just afraid that it might be late for such decissions, a lot of people would be stupid enough to protest against this, and i mean stupid because all you have to do is consider the population growth in the last 10 and 20 years. We are in an insane rate which is only going higher and this can only end up bad in a near future. I doubt that none knows why, so think about it if you dare to have such doubts

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darsey View Post
    Governments should totally do there best for having everyone at 2-3 kids, no more and more important no less. People who refuse to have kids are much worst to a country then a baby boomers are in the long term, I think that EU learn it now the hard way.

A good system is one that taxes people with no children or more then 3 children if the general welfare is what we have in mind.

Edit: The model in china is horrible and will totally get back at them in about 20-30 years or even less. There is no way china gonna be the next superpower if they keep up with the one child model, it is a sure way to economical crash.
    Your problem scares me sir. I don't want to have kids, maeby in 10 years when i'm 32 i change my mind at the very last moment... but i doubt so. So far i want to live my life and make it as great as i can for those surrounding me, but not kids. Consider me selfish if you want, it's pointless as you don't know me.

Why is it "bad for a country" not to have children? specially when i am looking forward to leave mine :P
    Last edited by shise; 2011-12-06 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    developing countries, specialy india and africa : hell yes, please ! I am all for it ! The explosion in population leads to huge problems there.
    Quick point of order - Africa is not a country

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Quick point of order - Africa is not a country
    AMG! Sarah Palin has an MMO-Champ account!

http://wonkette.com/404207/sarah-pal...ot-a-continent
    Putin khuliyo

Cap at 1.. i absolutely hate childeren. so dont listen to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsey View Post
    Governments should totally do there best for having everyone at 2-3 kids,no more and more important no less. People who refuse to have kids are much worst to a country then a baby boomers are in the long term, I think that EU learn it now the hard way.
    Forcing people to have kids who don't want kids is good... how? All I see in the future is increases in suicide rate, poverty, and child abuse/neglect. Not to mention the obvious increase in overpopulation, which would make all the topics brought up exponentially worse.

Please, never run for office.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    There's one family where I live that has 11 kids. The kids are misbehaved, arrogant, rude and the parents do little to control them. Frequently, the eldest children do more parenting (and not a very good job of it) than the parents.
    I know families with 1 and 2 kids where the children are misbehaved, arrogant, rude and the parents do little to control them. I also know families of 5 and 9 kids where the kids are very well behaved and the parents interact with them a good deal.

I know yet another family with 2 kids who are 12 years apart where the parents let the eldest do most of the raising for the youngest. The eldest is one of the kindest and sweetest kids I've known and the youngest, while a little rumbustious, is not arrogant or rude and does listen to instruction and do what he's told.

I find little reason that federal law should be levied based on either your or my anecdotal evidence.

Wouldn't mind much really, especially not with something like 5, that's just way too many kids!

Why is it "bad for a country" not to have children? specially when i am looking forward to leave mine
    Because people grow old, and need younger generation to support them the "right" number for that is 2.3 children per a couple. Its not only that you will have to work till the day you die if there are not enough young men and women, you will also pay much more for your health care because there will be less young people to sponser you, as old people "enjoy" the health care system much more then young people, and they all pay the same amount of money for it. Not to mention that you, and the young people will have to pay much more taxes because of that, reducing the consuming of goods and slowing the economy.

The world's population is growing, however the western population is shrinking, and that is a bad thing. The limitation on birth should be in africa, in asia on ortodox jews, on arabs, and even on those for 2 children per couple, however the western population should actually increase its birth to 2-3 kids per couple, that is if it want any chance to survive.