Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Most countries that would implement such a law would also make the least dent in the overall world population.

on a side note its scary how many people seem to just despise kids they're not some alien vermin they're just younger human beings...
    Last edited by MechaMoose; 2011-12-08 at 12:46 AM.
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Tell me where we're going to get more helium then.
    Get more? Why would we need more? Isn't it something like the most common element?

Anyway, radioactive decay creates it, so that would be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    Get more? Why would we need more? Isn't it something like the most common element?

Actually Hydrogen is by far the most common element.

Well, ordinary baryonic matter anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a good thing, a lot of people are having far too many children, and in most cases it is the people that also cannot support said children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Actually Hydrogen is by far the most common element.

Well, ordinary baryonic matter anyway.
    My bad, second most common

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post

We're quickly running out of helium on Earth. And do you even know how long that would take to create enough helium to sustain world demand?

And helium is vital to western medicine. It's used to cool MRI machines, among others, so without it you can say goodbye to one of the most useful scans there are.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    We're quickly running out of helium on Earth. And do you even know how long that would take to create enough helium to sustain world demand?

And helium is vital to western medicine. It's used to cool MRI machines, among others, so without it you can say goodbye to one of the most useful scans there are.
    Which is why we need to redirect all our remaining resources to nuclear fusion and interstellar space technology.

We'll get all the helium we need.

brb, running for President of the World.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    What if it was capped at 5 children? Would you care? 10 children? 20?

I find myself wondering this and I honestly don't know how I would react if this happened. On the one hand, I don't like the government telling you what you can do in terms of reproduction, but on the other hand, is having 20 kids really a good idea? I know of 1 family with an amount of children like that that isn't a strain on society where the kids are actually fed and cared for properly.

What if you could vote on such an issue? Would you vote it down?
    You sound like a Tera nova fan.
    On-topic, I'd dislike it, sure it would slow down overpopulation but, that's like saying you can only have one animal.

Cap at 2 pay for 3rd

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to be very unpopular for saying this, but it needs to be said: Capped child numbers and licenses to breed.

People should not be allowed to have children unless by means testing and individual-assessment, they prove they can give children a stable home, provide for their needs and give them a good education. If they don't meet these standards then their petition should be denied.

Violators of these laws would be sterilised and have their children placed with infertile or gay couples.

Before you think this is obscene or an attempt at trolling, ask yourself this: Where does multi-generational poverty come from?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Where does multi-generational poverty come from?
    Poor education and social programs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettshock View Post
    Doesn't China do something along these lines, and it causes horrible moral issues towards any extra children that are born?
    By every girl in china that reaches the age of six, there's sixteen boys. This is what it creates.

However, eventually they'll end up having only one type of hole to poke, which will probably turn the trend around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Poor education and social programs.

...And those poorly educated and societally unequipped people subsequently having more children, thusly repeating or exponentially multiplying the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    ...And those poorly educated and societally unequipped people subsequently having more children, thusly repeating or exponentially multiplying the situation.
    Yeah.....the answer to poor people isn't soft eugenics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah.....the answer to poor people isn't soft eugenics.
    Well to be blunt and pretty callous... It could help.

That aside though, I wasn't looking at it from that angle. I know in practice you can't guarantee every new life on earth a well adjusted two-income nuclear family, but is it really fair for a new life to come into the world as a crack baby? Or as the fifth kid of a chain-smoking obese single mother who lives in a two-bedroom apartment and survives on welfare?

It's not bloody fair to the kid. That's what matters. If they're not going to have the best opportunity to end up a well-adjusted decent human being with good family support then there's no point in bringing them into the world.

Well to be blunt and pretty callous... It could help.
    Or you could get another Third Reich.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you could get another Third Reich.
    Not really. If you can support a kid you can have a kid. Race has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Not really. If you can support a kid you can have a kid. Race has nothing to do with it.
    yeah this time you're just defining human worth by economic class.

I see no way in which it could go wrong.

This sounds too much like the debate during the Industrial Revolution, where some people said that overpopulation led to poverty for the poor and a decrease in food/natural resources. While it's an interesting theory, studies later showed that there is more than plenty of enough food on Earth, and the real reason for starvation and hunger results from poverty, both from people and from their governments, such as in Africa. For example, Africa, even desert places, could very well have enough water and food to survive, if a mass policy of drip irrigation was used.

I would not be happy with any law to limit how many kids I have. I doubt it would happen to the US any time soon, we are not overpopulated and a lot of our natural resources are untouched and environments are way healthier in comparison to a lot of places in the world.