Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mage or Warlock?

I wanted to know which of two easier to play and do the best dps. I just started playing wow not too long ago, so I'm pretty new. Oh, and not to be rude, but most forums when a question like this is asked all say that it depends on your play style, etc. and I completely get that so I guess I want to know what YOU think is the best. Thanks!
    Last edited by Golden Carp; 2011-12-06 at 07:22 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fire mage, One of the top dps at the mo

Easier to play? mage. Best DPS really depends on how well you play and gear. Warlocks seem to scarcer than mages, so if you are looking to raid then you are more likely to find a guild that needs a good warlock over a mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by heatrage View Post
    Fire mage, One of the top dps at the mo
    For raiding maybe, for 5-mans, definitely not.
    Last edited by Promark; 2011-12-06 at 07:19 PM.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Playing both classes to the best of their ability are going to take a bit of work but honestly for what your most likely looking for either class will do with any spec. There about the same for what your looking for bud

MAGE............Kidding, You are posting on the Lock threads...>.<....Warlock all the way.
    Cyner#1996

Deleted
    Of course we'll recommend playing a Warlock if you post in here, same if you do so on the Mage forums.

If you like an easier class, pick Mage. Warlocks are more complicated, but both classes are competitive if you are a good player. Besides, we can turn into a freaking demon.
    Gameplay wise, Mages are very straightforward, the best example would be the Arcane spec. Warlocks are more of an exotic class, having very interesting things, like the one I mentioned earlier.

If you like to look into your class lorewise too, you'll find that we Warlocks are more like the uncaring, selfish, chaotic guys, always looking for power and nothing else, and the alliance we make with either the Horde or the Alliance is merely a vehicle towards achieving higher power. By the way, your regular Eredar Warlock is more powerful than your Archmage. On the other hand, there's Mages, more like disciplined users of the Arcane, seeking the greater good, rather than personal benefit.

The choice is yours. Personally, I'll be proud if you'll pick Warlock, as long as you promise to show our true power to lesser classes .
    Last edited by mmoc54c9892e8d; 2011-12-06 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyner View Post
    mage............kidding, you are posting on the lock threads...>.<....warlock all the way.
    warlocks!!!!!!! ^^^^

Deleted
    mage is about nuking and big crits.
    warlock is about dots and pets.
    mage abilities tend to work more straightforward than warlock ones.
    for example:
    mage : blink. push button, teleport 20 yards forward.
    lock: demonic circle. requires you to set it up BEFORE you need it. setting it up in a bad spot will make it nearly useless.
    setting it up right will make it more powerful than blink because it can teleport you to higher ground and has a bigger range.
    Last edited by mmoc5b54ced6f0; 2011-12-06 at 08:42 PM.

warlock all the way

Level them both. Decide which you personally enjoy more. Play accordingly. It's not a difficult decision to make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction Lock. It's pretty much a fire mage with awesome spells and a pet.
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Mages are easier to play and easier to master. That's not to say it's ridiculously easy, no, there's a subtle science to being great at a class that, on the surface, appears to be simplistic in its design. Sadly, Blizzard has shown their incompetence time and time again when "balancing" the classes so if you intend on playing a warlock, prepare to be overwhelmed. There is a silver lining for us though, Mists of Pandaria promises to bring about changes that may actually make us a much more viable and noteworthy class. It basically boils down to this; mages have mechanics that allow players to learn the class more swiftly while also having a great deal of utility and fun little spells. Warlocks are a complex, nigh impossible class to perfect that is constantly a victim of Blizzard's whims. There isn't much utility to be had and our "fun" spells have very limited uses. None of this is concrete though as the new expansion can completely change how both classes are perceived. Your best bet is to roll both and wait until Mists of Pandaria and from there, determine which is more enjoyable to play.

is demo the top damage spec? or is it affliction? I've seen some parses like raidbots but i'm not sure how skewed the numbers are by legendaries etc.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar3544 View Post
    is demo the top damage spec? or is it affliction? I've seen some parses like raidbots but i'm not sure how skewed the numbers are by legendaries etc.
    Depends on the setting. I assume you're talking strictly raids here. As far as I know, Affliction is the top dog, especially if one has access to the Legendary staff.

Locks give the better raid buffs and are more rare so based on that I would go lock. Demo is the front runner for locks for dmg atm but is also the easiest to screw up and pump out lower dmg or atleast thats what most of these threads will tell you, I think demo is pretty straight forward and easy to play. Most lock specs will give the 5% crit debuff on targets all have DI and demo has the spell power buff. Mages are stuck with a shitty mana regen on its weakest dmg spec, 3% dmg and FM on arcane which is slowly falling behind fire then fire just offers up the 5% crit debuff on targets like locks. You of course always need to factor in fun and what you enjoy I personally like demo or affliction a lot fire mage is fun also, when it really comes down to it both are good choices imo.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I just levelled a warlock to 83 and yes it not yet 85 but i'll be honest i really like, I even seriously considering changing my main.
    Locks are differnet than mages. As others said above, a mage is pretty strathforward, while a lock rather using damage over time spells.
    To put it into a simpler form, for example when you play against other players, you wont be wble to kill them asap, with big crits, if thats your choice go for the mage. Playing a lock is more about surviving until your dots eat the other alive.
    There are a lot of tricks under the locks sleeve so you can make fools from others easily :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahrastafari View Post
    Level them both. Decide which you personally enjoy more. Play accordingly. It's not a difficult decision to make.
    what this guy said!

Warlock, because MoP warlock spells so far look like 30 million times more fun than mage equivalents.

Despite that I love my warlock, Fire Mage is really fun to play, and would be totally willing to play one as my main. Until they nerf fire and make arcane the go-to spec, then i want to hang myself for playing a mage instead of a warlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Locks give the better raid buffs and are more rare so based on that I would go lock. Demo is the front runner for locks for dmg atm but is also the easiest to screw up and pump out lower dmg or atleast thats what most of these threads will tell you, I think demo is pretty straight forward and easy to play. Most lock specs will give the 5% crit debuff on targets all have DI and demo has the spell power buff. Mages are stuck with a shitty mana regen on its weakest dmg spec, 3% dmg and FM on arcane which is slowly falling behind fire then fire just offers up the 5% crit debuff on targets like locks. You of course always need to factor in fun and what you enjoy I personally like demo or affliction a lot fire mage is fun also, when it really comes down to it both are good choices imo.
    What this guy said. I personally dual speced both Demo specs, but that's just me.
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!