Thread: D3 offline mod

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry D3 offline mod

Where I live we have nothing but dial-up. The internet on my phone is 10x better then on my PC. I loved Diablo 2 single player and the announcment D3 will have none really made me mad since i had not only preordered well in advance but fully paid for it well before this was announced.

My question is does anyone know of a person or group that will most likly create a single player mod? I really want to play the game i bought but without that mod i just threw money into the trash can.

unlikely that a mod could be made. The achetecture of the game is designed to only work on Blizzard's internal systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    They stated something with always-online, I can't remember all of it though.

I do remember they wouldn't support mods at all, which is a killer for me.

Edit: Found it
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/di...layed-offline/
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd think after a while of the game being out and if there is enough demand they might open up to the possibility of making an offline but with no chance of going online.

I know it wouldn't be an official or supported mod. I was asking about a community made unofficial hackish mod to allow single player.

I highly doubt there will be an offline version, just like how there's no offline version of SC2. It's Blizzard's way of stopping piracy.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Personally dont mind that its only online. But i do believe they should add an option to make a character that can only be played offline. Kinda like how you could install d2 with the different options. If you picked the offline mode then you wouldnt be able to take that char online, since farming in single player only may be easier than online. Would be kind of like WoW where pve realm chars cant transfer to pvp realms......or they couldnt when i quit, not sure about now >.>

Unfortunately, very doubtful, blizzard needs as many people online for their RMAH so I doubt they make an offline mode unless RMAH just doesnt work.l

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I highly doubt there will be an offline version, just like how there's no offline version of SC2. It's Blizzard's way of stopping piracy.
    From a SC2 standpoint, at least you can play the single player offline, you get hosed out of lan but at least you can do something.

In this particular case I feel it has more to do with the RMAH rather then piracy, although it really is kind of two birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Sc2 has 3 single player only 'guest' accounts. Be nice if Diablo 3 had one like that. I don't care about achievements or auction houses. I play by myself single player. I played single player Diablo 1 and 2 single player. I have never used battle.net to play any Diablo and i shouldn't be forced to now. Not that i can out here in the boonies anyway .
    Last edited by Wardonis; 2011-12-07 at 04:40 AM.

I think you only need to get online once to activate it no? Like SC2 was working? Which is ok imo. If its only online will suck a bit in case we get lag or something.But yes like its been mentioned what they l do is irrelevant anyway there will be offline mods a few days after launch anyway if needed.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2011-12-07 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    I think you only need to get online once to activate it no? Like SC2 was working? Which is ok imo. If its only online will suck a bit in case we get lag or something.But yes like its been mentioned what they l do is irrelevant anyway there will be offline mods a few days after launch anyway if needed.
    The issue with offline mods is that they really wont work very well since half the stuff in the actual game is run blizzard side, like bosses mostly. Sure someone could make a private server but that would ultimately defeat the purpose of trying to run it offline.

I'm sure its not going to be impossible to play the game offline if you absolutely must (and illegally) do so, but at the same quality as the blizz version, not so likely.

This is all based speculatively of course, I actually don't have any idea if the game is really that intricate.

i don't understand why games are doing this now? i know they want to prevent piracy, but people get around it anyways, and it just ends up hurting the people who just want to play a game w/o the internet connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by lethargik View Post
    i don't understand why games are doing this now? i know they want to prevent piracy, but people get around it anyways, and it just ends up hurting the people who just want to play a game w/o the internet connectivity.
    They are doing this for D3 because of the real money AH they are setting up. If you can go offline and just auto-kill bosses or spawn gear for yourself, then pop online and sell it for real money, it becomes somewhat of an issue.

At least that is why I think they are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    They are doing this for D3 because of the real money AH they are setting up. If you can go offline and just auto-kill bosses or spawn gear for yourself, then pop online and sell it for real money, it becomes somewhat of an issue.
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that as the reason as to why they're doing it; I was only thinking of preventing pirating. But it would be an issue of spawning illegitimate items (or whatever), then selling them for money.

...Requiring an internet connection, combined with the AH, makes me extremely unsure if I'll get Diablo 3. I'm not against Blizzard, or anything, but I don't like the direction they're going with this. I keep telling myself I won't get it, but there's always the temptation of playing a Blizzard game...

Do not worry, you will find "fixed" version of Diablo3 on torrents and you will be able to play offline mode.
    Maybe it will be against eula, but you should not care - if you payed money for this game, you should be able to play it as you like.

Also internet connection requirements for starcraft2 were really low. It was not synchronizing all you actions with battlenet server, it was just checking your account and updating achievements. Dialup internet should be fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, even if you assume that offline characters could never go online, it's still an issue of people having an easier time cracking the game code in order to write better bots/hacks to get the items online if they have the complete offline code available. I'm not saying it won't happen anyway, but at least this way it's a little harder.

I'm sure that Blizzard is keeping in mind the need to optimize for low-bandwidth players, since that's undoubtedly a significant fraction of their market. I've heard from friends in the beta that they've been paying a lot of attention to making sure nothing ever feels laggy.

If you're unsure about it, you could always wait and see what other people's experiences are before buying it (unless like the OP you've already preordered it).

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lethargik View Post
    fewer people find a way around which is the point

and even if they do crack the game you will never get the full game so it's not really worth it to crack
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing D3 solo online on dialup shouldn't be a problem, though, I wouldn't play Hardcore.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Im highly curious. How Old are you? and where do you live?

Reason being: If you played Diablo 1 and 2.. surely you must be an adult by now. You can always move? If you're living in Moms basement and want to play your video games I have no sympathy for you.

Second question: Of course if you live in the arctic or some whack region that doesn't support cable internet for miles thats a different story. I am pretty glad Diablo 3 doesnt have offline play. with the amount of bugs and glitches and hacks in D2, anything Blizzard can do to minimize people who ruin games like this the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doonie View Post
    Add Factions to the quicklinks on the Cataclysm drop down menu pl0x!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Will do!
    You're Welcome MMO

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

At least that is why I think they are doing it.
    Hardly, as the singleplayer and multiplayer parts of the game would be separated like they are in Diablo 2; you can't go online with your singleplayer characters either. Though what you can do is create a multiplayer-game for yourself with a password only you know, then just do exactly what you described.