Poll: How do you feel about P.C.?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

The U.S. is too politically correct.

1st off... I'm registered as independent. Neither Republican nor Liberal, so it has nothing to do with that. As times are changing and are population conitnues to grow, I've noticed over the last decade that US is becoming extremely politically correct in almost every aspect (i believe it has a lot to do with technology, but thats another topic). I believe there was polls done a while back by the media that about 70% of Americans believe we are becoming too politcally correct, 20% said were weren't politically correct enough, and the 10% said were fine as is. I guess I fall under the majority of that poll and want to know what you guys think.

I'm sorry but I think people are becoming too thin skinned. People need to take accountability for their own feelings. I made the same mistake myself, I wasn't accountable for the way I react to other people's comments. This forum is a perfect example seen everyday of it. You unintentionally say one thing and is blown out of proportion by the receiver as if you intended to hurt that person's feelings. Even if someone did try to hurt your feelings, doesn't mean you have no control over it. For example; The moderators will lock topics under religious beliefs because of "being politically correct" when it should be a free topic to discuss without other people getting butt hurt because someone else doesn't agree. Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.

I have to deal with it all the time at work beause I have work with the public and I think I am just venting. sorry.

My father beat me as a child, and while he was doing it screamed the words POLITICALLY CORRECT over and over.

Now because of this thread and reading those words you made me RE LIVE THE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Deleted
    The moderators lock topics about religion because nothing good has ever come from a forum discussion on religion. Neither are muslims "trying to make a statement" by opening a mosque in New York. Without seeing any evidence of your phantom poll I can't accurately make a judgement as to the validity of your claim that 70% of Americans feel the country is too politically correct, however I'd suggest that people are always faster to complain than they are to praise.

Look at the news lately, cops called and child protection services called because a girl kissed a boy on the school ground. Recently a 9 year old boy gets suspended from school for sexual harassment because a substitute teacher over heard him telling his friend that the teacher was cute. In that case i hope the family sues the school for violating the boys 1st amendment right to freedom of speech he was talking to a friend and they over reacted.

Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.
    Property rights are too politically correct.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    White people are too politicly correct and always told they're suppose to feel offended and guilty about everything. That's the real problem. We white knight (no pun intended) about bloody everything. It's pathetic.

By the way, what poll? Which media?
    Making shit up is easy, so support it if you want to be "accountable" for what you write.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.

What if Catholics had hijacked those planes, would you ban all churches from the area? You cannot blame an entire religion because of a few misguided nutters.

I honestly believe that political correctness is the biggest cancer that has ever spread across the US. It has made this country into a place where nobody can deal with getting upset, and if they get upset they sue. It is the same line of thought that has made them take dodgeball out of schools, and made it so soccer games aren't won or lost, but you rather come in first or second place. People cannot handle adversity anymore, and when it comes their way they can't handle it, and we are making it worse for our children by bringing them up in a world where you can't get hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    To quote the late, great Gorge Carlin: "Take a fuckin' chance, will ya?"

10+ Year Old Account
    We protect the stupid far too much. It's not that something is Politically Correct, it's that there's far too many that can't take a joke or they take too much out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    White people are too politicly correct and always told they're suppose to feel offended and guilty about everything. That's the real problem. We white knight (no pun intended) about bloody everything. It's pathetic.

By the way, what poll? Which media?
    Making shit up is easy, so support it if you want to be "accountable" for what you write.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article...ically-Correct

In regards to your "white people" comment. Ever notice how "african americans" have their own channel i.e. BET and they also have their own magazine. What if white people did that? All hell would break loose. Not that i even care for that, but it just shows that White people feel like they owe a debt to everyone else because of historical events.

Well 'political correctness' has gone too far in the U.K. People have to be so careful not to offend anyone, and I feel we get so preoccupied and censored by it that I wonder what type of society it will eventually evolve into.

Of course, the flip side is that open discrimination and harassment is also unacceptable, but we need to draw a line.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one in this country has a right to be protected from offensive language. Anyone who gets offended and wants to sue because of it can go fuck themselves.

Oh no, someone said a bad word. Get over it.
    Putin khuliyo

In regards to your "white people" comment. Ever notice how "african americans" have their own channel i.e. BET and they also have their own magazine. What if white people did that?
    What you've never watched HGTV?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What you've never watched HGTV?
    Or Lifetime? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mindelan View Post
    Or Lifetime? :P
    Jokes aside, that's the point. Our media caters heavily to "white" people and culture. I mean shit, Friends took place in New York City and didn't have a major black character until the last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerion View Post
    I honestly believe that political correctness is the biggest cancer that has ever spread across the US. It has made this country into a place where nobody can deal with getting upset, and if they get upset they sue. It is the same line of thought that has made them take dodgeball out of schools, and made it so soccer games aren't won or lost, but you rather come in first or second place. People cannot handle adversity anymore, and when it comes their way they can't handle it, and we are making it worse for our children by bringing them up in a world where you can't get hurt.
    It's the pussification of America. You can't even watch a show or a commercial on TV unless it's racially diverse and every male on the show has a girlish figure and his sisters jeans. Not that there's anything wrong with being racially diverse but if you're doing it just for the sake of being racially diverse then what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    It's the pussification of America. You can't even watch a show or a commercial on TV unless it's racially diverse and every male on the show has a girlish figure and his sisters jeans. Not that there's anything wrong with being racially diverse but if you're doing it just for the sake of being racially diverse then what's the point?
    And every time I look out my window there's kids out on my lawn!

Get off my lawn you damn kids!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Jokes aside, that's the point. Our media caters heavily to "white" people and culture. I mean shit, Friends took place in New York City and didn't have a major black character until the last season.
    But on the flipside, do we need to force diversification? If we'd stop being assholes about race, then diversification would occur naturally.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    But on the flipside, do we need to force diversification?
    Who's talking about forcing anything?

If we'd stop being assholes about race
    In 5,000 years of human history this one still escapes us. I'm not crossing my fingers.