Poll: How do you feel about P.C.?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Most of the western world is too politically correct in a lot of ways. (although your example of the mosque is a bit stupid.. but nevermind)

Unfortunately anyone who says that is instantly labelled as a racist because people assume that you hate women/blacks/disabled/whatever.

In the 21st century minority groups still need help, but going all politically correct and trying to make white people feel guilty about everything is not the answer. It only increases racial tensions and benefits nobody. Ultimately most politically correct moves are done because a tiny minority of people in a minority group find it offensive. It's ridiculous that because 100 people say they're offended it means suddenly people can't use a phrase anymore, or a word in a song has to be changed.

What minority groups need is real financial support to bridge any income gaps that they have with the white, socially mobile middle class guy. That's what would help them, not listening to a few people whining about being offended by the word Christmas. Direct racism is not a huge issue anymore, it's the residue left over from previous generations of racism or poverty that creates issues such as blacks having a much higher crime rate than whites in most developed countries. That can only be solved through money, education and opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by john67 View Post
    Direct racism is not a huge issue anymore, it's the residue left over from previous generations of racism or poverty that creates issues such as blacks having a much higher crime rate than whites in most developed countries.
    Overt/Obvious racism has diminished, however subtle/personal racism is still very rampant. In other words, blacks and whites no longer have separate drinking fountains, but on average blacks receive 10% longer prison sentences than whites for same type of crimes with the same criminal history.

Quote Originally Posted by evoco View Post
    Overt/Obvious racism has diminished, however subtle/personal racism is still very rampant. In other words, blacks and whites no longer have separate drinking fountains, but on average blacks receive 10% longer prison sentences than whites for same type of crimes with the same criminal history.
    On the other hand, we have systems that force police/fire departments, businesses etc to hire a certain number of black people, even if they are not as good as the white applicants because its "racist" not to have a certain number of minorities. I don't see the NBA having a rule that says they need to have X number of white players.

Deleted
    There's some things I like about political correctness in Great Britain though. In Britain's politically correct culture Michael Savage has been banned from even entering the country. I think that's the probably the best way of counter-trolling him I can think of. Even better, the Conservative Party reaffirmed the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    On the other hand, we have systems that force police/fire departments, businesses etc to hire a certain number of black people, even if they are not as good as the white applicants because its "racist" not to have a certain number of minorities. I don't see the NBA having a rule that says they need to have X number of white players.
    It's racism, but it's okay because it's not in favor of the white oppressors.

I dislike the amount of political correctness in the UK, saying the wrong word or it being taken out of context can get you sent to jail, for what a word? I know words have their own power and can inflict pain the same as a physical attack, especially when people are growing up but I think it's time too stop pushing political correctness into peoples faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.

I have to deal with it all the time at work beause I have work with the public and I think I am just venting. sorry.
    We "allowed" Muslims to built a mosque in Manhattan because (1) the 1st Amendment protects freedom of religion and (2) the Constitution of the United States protects property rights. Has nothing to do with "politically correctness." For the government to block the sale would have been several different forms of illegal.

By the way, what do you think that phrase even means? I think at one point in time it would have just been called being polite, choosing not to say something that you think might unnecessarily offend someone. Like if your grandmother cooks you a meal and you don't like it, you might not say that. Or if you were talking to a couple whose son had died, and you knew him in life and thought he was kind of a jerk, you might not say that either. Nowadays, saying things like that anonymously online is considered somehow courageous. I kind of wish the phrase politically correct had never been created, I only hear it used by people who oppose whatever they think it means.

A random thought: America is the one of the only countries in the history of the world in which multiple ethnicities and religious groups have coexisted peacefully in a democratic manner. So we must be doing something right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purifier View Post
    I dislike the amount of political correctness in the UK, saying the wrong word or it being taken out of context can get you sent to jail, for what a word? I know words have their own power and can inflict pain the same as a physical attack, especially when people are growing up but I think it's time too stop pushing political correctness into peoples faces.
    Meh. I don't agree. There's far worse things in the world in my view. People blame everything on political correctness and exaggerate it. This thread has shown a few examples of political correctness "out of hand". I think there's problems with it that should be addressed, but I it also encourages a more rational form of debate, rather than allowing people to prey on popular prejudices. It's one product of the 1980s I approve of - an era that teemed with racial and social tensions (carrying over from the 70s). In other words, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    this...

Also i dont think the US is very politically correct - if it was truly politically correct the US's politicians would not talk about a christian nation all the freakin time - thats not very politically correct to shit on the rest of the populace
    The example is a little far fetched. How about this. How about if you had a Catholic church in town where several priests were found to be molesting children from the school down the street. So the church removes the priests or they go to jail, but now for whatever reason the church needs a new location and decides to build beside the school that the kids were from. Can you honestly tell me society would let that one go? No way in hell people are going to let that happen without protests and such.
    I have mixed opinions on the whole thing but as far as the arguement that it wouldn't happen to anyone else or any other religion, thats a bunch of crap.
    Muslims are not, as a whole, hostile toward America. The same way all Catholics are not child molestors. However whether people are attacked by a group of Muslims or molested by Catholic priests, it is understandable if they are not crazy about that group doing something like putting up a place of worship near where the event took place.
    Or to put it more simply, if you are attacked by a dog, while you may know full well that all dogs are not viceous, it is perfectly understandable if you aren't thrilled about being around dogs for a while. It's natural. It's how our minds are built to react. The best way to avoid another dog attack is by staying the hell away from dogs.

In the end, while I don't personally care where they build their building, I do understand why people are upset and honestly question the motives of those who are pushing for the building. Obviously there were going to be issues, they knew that. They knew it would offend some and that it would ignite a huge debate.... So if you are building the building for religious reasons, why not put the building somewhere else? Why push so hard for this location?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguy16 View Post
    The example is a little far fetched. How about this. How about if you had a Catholic church in town where several priests were found to be molesting children from the school down the street. So the church removes the priests or they go to jail, but now for whatever reason the church needs a new location and decides to build beside the school that the kids were from. Can you honestly tell me society would let that one go? No way in hell people are going to let that happen without protests and such.
    I have mixed opinions on the whole thing but as far as the arguement that it wouldn't happen to anyone else or any other religion, thats a bunch of crap.
    Muslims are not, as a whole, hostile toward America. The same way all Catholics are not child molestors. However whether people are attacked by a group of Muslims or molested by Catholic priests, it is understandable if they are not crazy about that group doing something like putting up a place of worship near where the event took place.
    Or to put it more simply, if you are attacked by a dog, while you may know full well that all dogs are not viceous, it is perfectly understandable if you aren't thrilled about being around dogs for a while. It's natural. It's how our minds are built to react. The best way to avoid another dog attack is by staying the hell away from dogs.

In the end, while I don't personally care where they build their building, I do understand why people are upset and honestly question the motives of those who are pushing for the building. Obviously there were going to be issues, they knew that. They knew it would offend some and that it would ignite a huge debate.... So if you are building the building for religious reasons, why not put the building somewhere else? Why push so hard for this location?
    if it was the same church, then i could understand it...

If it was a new catholic church - then no i would not understand it