Thread: GPU for TOR?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krymefighter View Post
    Which processor are you referring to Culadin? The one I have in my initial post or the intel one later on?
    Initial post. I also used a combination of an Intel i3 2100 and an Intel i3 550 with the HD6770. All 3 chips plus the HD6770 ran on high without a stutter. Just be sure to upgrade to the latest video card drivers prior to playing the beta and live release.

Thanks. I found a pretty good setup with an i3 2100 and a HD 6850, but I would have to do without a HDD and use my old one... it is quite small and I am not sure of the speed on it. I think it's 150GB... I would also have to use the DVD reader from that computer. I'm trying to decide which is the better choice. How well does the 6770 with the AMD Athlon run Skyrim? Or a game similar in intensity...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well I ran Skyrim on Ultra high settings, their words not mine, at 1680x1050 on an i3 2100 and HD6770.

What do you mean by "their words" ?

So do I even need a 6850 if I get an i3 2100? Or should I get the 6770 and another 4GB stick of ram?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I have assumed you have installed Skyrim already. On the initial start up of Skyrim, after installation, it will automatically detect your hardware and optimize graphics settings based on your hardware. For an i3 2100 and HD6770 the game set itself to Ultra high settings.

If the budget permits an HD6850 vs the HD6770, by all means definitely go with the HD6850 it is a fantastic card and will give you a solid +20% performance increase over the HD6770. Then just buy a new hard drive with the budget permits again.

How would the AMD Radeon HD 6770 do with swtor?
    Everyone can piss on the floor. So be a hero, and shit on the ceiling.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzajin View Post
    How would the AMD Radeon HD 6770 do with swtor?
    Depends on the CPU. Any MMO, like ToR, will utilize a combination of CPU / GPU for peak performance. To give you an idea though the newest generation of I3's, such as the 2100, combined with an HD6770 is able to play the game on high settings, I maintained a consistent 60FPS with the combination.

For computer related questions I have to urge people to refer to the computer forum subsection or to PM me for more information. Easiest way at this point to answer your computer / star wars related questions.

CPU is AMD Phenom II x4 810
    Everyone can piss on the floor. So be a hero, and shit on the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    People in Vanilla,
    Was WoW a performance hungry game when it arrived?
    I know others have said no, but I found it quite hungry in Ironforge (which was _the_ capital at the time). I'd go and hide in some of the little shops to get a better framerate while I waited for groups and stuff. The AH was a guaranteed 10FPS on my rig, which was happily 40+FPS outside, so yeah it had its moments.

OT: I played the beta weekend with everything I could find turned up to max on SLI GTX460's. Ran smooth as butter, even Dromund Kaas didn't drop the FPS. I'm hoping the AA won't make as huge a difference as Tom's is showing, since I got better FPS than he did without it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzajin View Post
    CPU is AMD Phenom II x4 810
    You should be able to maintain high settings with that CPU and an HD6770. Might just need to lower screen resolution to 1680x1050 rather than 1920x1080 to maintain stable FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    My current GPU, which isnt' the greatest but not horrible (runs WoW at steady 60fps...45fps during raids, Rift at 25-35fps...18-20fps during raids which sucks), met the open beta with a black screen and a working orange cursor...other than that beta was unplayable for me. I've read that this was an issue with some of the AMD GPU's. Since I'm planning on upgrading anyway, I figured I would get a GPU that would work well with TOR (or at least not have the issue I did for beta).

I'm not wanting to run Skyrim on ultra on 6 monitors, but you like to run TOR on high settings on a single monitor without running into what I did during beta. Any thoughts?

PS- I was going to put this in the computer section...but aside from MMO's I do console gaming so the GPU is for MMOs...and specifically TOR....

Current Comp Specs:
    AMD Penom II x4 @3.4 ghz
    8GB Ram
    AMD 5570 1gb 128bit GPU
    Hmmm wondering if theres another issue here, im running the same card and processor and i ran the game with no issues and had 50+ FPS

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuff View Post
    Hmmm wondering if theres another issue here, im running the same card and processor and i ran the game with no issues and had 50+ FPS
    It is called the game being in beta and several generations of AMD video card drivers.