Thread: New TV dilemma

New TV dilemma

(location England)

Hey I'm currently in the impossible position (or not so really) on picking a new TV.. So I went to my mother's local comet to see the different tv's and got overwhelmed with dvd's getting played threw the screens and my brother QQing like a little bitch that the refresh on the LEDs are fake and bullshit..

I've read a few things about certain tele's where for example samsung have advertised it as 400mhz refresh yet on the box on delivery it stats 200mhz..

the bigger question is does it really matter ;0

Either way I have a budget of around £750 for the tv.. but my living room will only handle a 42" tv max.

Here's the TVs I've found:-

Panasonic Viera TX-L4ZE30B (42" LED)[/URL] £515.85 + p&p
    Panasonic Viera TX-P42S30B (42" Plasma)[/URL] £411.35 + p&p
    Samsung UE40D6530 (40" LED)[/URL] £703 + p&p

I'm not allowed to post links, but quick search of pixmania will come up with them

Also Plasma vs LED is getting on my nerves, everyone tell's me Plasma is better for gaming (which I mainly want it for) since its Motion is better than the LED's but I've also heard if the TV has LED back dim or something then they are very simliar and you wouldn't notice a difference.. but hey I don't know.. Any idea would be awesome.. The colour quality on the plasma seemed better IMO with the higher contrast ratio but then the blacks let it down.. but again I'm just not sure what to spend my money on.

Also in the market for an xbox360, mainly for mw3.. saw the a bundle on game.co.uk for £239.99 2 wireless controllers, 320gb hd, mw3 + fifa+forza.. Which i think is quite good considering most other bundles don't even have MW3 and start around £199.99 and MW3 is like £37.99 from amazon (cheapest I've found)

Basically if there's any demon bargain hunters around then please help me out.. I literrally squeak when I walk I just never buy new things, I think my current TV has been passed down for like 10 years now ;D

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post
    Dojie

I was in your position a little over a year ago. I ended up just going to the store, seeing which one to me had the best picture and bought it. Mine was a Samsung LED modal but I don't remember the modal number. I'm still happy with my purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plasma and LED picture quality aside, I'll tell you what I DO know about these two types.

Plasma TVs still use CRT technology, which means the bulbs can still burn out. This means that LED/LCD TVs have a much longer lifespan. As well, LED TVs use much, much less energy than a Plasma. LEDs also take up a LOT less space, weigh a lot less, and don't have the same problems as Plasma when it comes to edge fading. Also, unlike their LCD brethren, LEDs don't have that problem of 'I have to sit directly in the center of the screen or else I can't see it'. There's a word for that, it escapes me at the moment :-P As far as quality goes, I've never personally owned a Plasma TV, nor really knew anyone that did, so I can't give you any personal experience.

I have the 37 inch version of the Panasonic Viera LED, 120hz TV. Stepped up from a 32 inch Viera LCD 60hz. The difference was staggering. As well, I always get complements on how beautiful the picture quality is. I have yet to hook it up to my computer; I want to so bad, but it's one of those things I want to do when the time is right, so to speak. I have no ghosting issues at all, everything looks absolutely gorgeous (dunno about the one you're looking at, but mine has a gloss screen, not the mat screen) and have yet to have any serious picture issues. I'm an extreme video quality affectionado, so even something like blacks looking slightly grey would throw me off of a TV in a heartbeat. I'm 2 for 2 on Vieras right now, I think I can say I stand by their quality.

As far as refresh rates, go, there is indeed a big difference between 60hz and 120hz. I've never looked at a 200hz or 400hz screen, so I can't comment on those. Anyone that tells you there isn't a difference between 60 and 120 needs to get their eyes checked. Every single person who has looked at my TV has noticed the difference, in the way things move and whatnot.

I CAN tell you, that even if the 200 or 400hz TVs show a big difference, it is certainly NOT worth the extra cost. 120hz are quite affordable right now, I'd just go with one of those.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2011-12-08 at 08:55 PM.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest 1080p, LCD, and 120hz. Get as large of a size as your room will comfortably support, the recommended 1.5x to 2.0x the diagonal as viewing distance. So if your couch is 9 feet away from where your TV is supposed to be, then your diagonal should be somewhere between 9/1.5= 6ft and 9/2= 4.5ft (54 to 72 inch TV).

That's about it.

Hey, thanks all for the help I've decided to go for the 40" samsung..

Have a nice day, and thanks again <3

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    I'd suggest 1080p, LCD, and 120hz. Get as large of a size as your room will comfortably support, the recommended 1.5x to 2.0x the diagonal as viewing distance. So if your couch is 9 feet away from where your TV is supposed to be, then your diagonal should be somewhere between 9/1.5= 6ft and 9/2= 4.5ft (54 to 72 inch TV).

That's about it.
    Really? 240hz for sure if its 40 or higher.

I would go with the samsung becase it most likely will be a better quality television.

Deleted
    Talk about first world problems.

I'd suggest the samsung

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Really? 240hz for sure if its 40 or higher.

I would go with the samsung becase it most likely will be a better quality television.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/240hz-lcd-tv...-need-to-know/
    "For most people, including me and Mr. Katzmaier, it's very difficult to see the impact that "faster" LCD sets have on picture quality. We spent some time in our AV lab watching various source material from 120Hz TVs and 240Hz models and it's really hard to detect any difference (it's hard to detect any difference between 120Hz and 60Hz models, too)."

I can see a difference between 60hz and 120hz when it comes to scrolling text or watching Football, which is why I recommended the 120hz. 240hz is... well, it's like the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio; it's a bigger number that really doesn't mean that much.

I'm with you on the Samsung though. I have an old 58" Samsung DLP TV, use a Samsung monitor, and my buddy has 3 different Samsung TVs. It's a solid product.