Is this a double standard?

I was discussing the Catholic priest abuse scandal with someone and I had a thought. she had just seen someone say in a BG that there were no priests because they were all busy chasing little boys.

It's okay to relentlessly mock and berate all priests as being being pedophiles and child abusers. I've seen as much, anywhere you turn people make fun of them. I even had a guild member do so recently. But the fact that nearly all the priests in question molested little boys, and were homosexuals most likely isn't mocked nearly as much. Is it ok to say all priests are child molesters, but not all gay men are sexual predators towards children? Can't one just as easily joke that gay men shouldn't be trusted around little boys as can priests, based off of the same stories?

I am not saying they are, of course, I am merely wondering if there's a double standard at work here. We can publicly mock priests, but in any public discussion, you'd be branded a hateful homophobe for using the exact same scandal to say all gays are child predators.

Opinions?

Deleted
    Nothing is stopping you from calling all homosexuals child molesters.
    So go right ahead.
    Might not be well received though.

I was unaware it was universally ok to berate all clergy and refer to them to as pedophiles. I'll go over the memos again.

I think people are more outraged when a priest, someone supposedly of high moral standards, molests children. Its the breach of trust and so on.

If someone who openly sucks alot of wang does immoral things nobody is surpised.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do see your point and logic, but priests were once put on a pedestal of moral and virtue and had their profession put under fire by these scandals. I think that's were the joke/irony lays. I remember in school guys being paranoid of gays because "they might want to fuck me". Homosexual men aren't attracted to every male with a penis. If that was the logic then straight men shouldn't be around young women. By what you said Priest + Homosexual= Pedophile, so Homosexual + Pedophile=Priest? No.

I don't think it's a double standard. And would that come up in wow anyway? You say it comes up when people say "all the priests are out molesting boys and that's why there are none in the bgs". How would that come up for gays? There's no "gay" class. So you couldn't say "all the gays are out molesting boys, that's why there are non in the bgs".

---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Derpyhooves View Post
    If someone who openly sucks alot of wang does immoral things nobody is surpised.
    I guess we should never be surprised at what a woman does. ZING.

My guess is that the majority of people who spam/think all priests are pedophiles, would agree with you that all gays are pedophiles or whatever other derogatory word they/you want to use, as well. Not specificly because they agree with you (most dont actually think ALL priests are pedos either), but simply because they enjoy poking fun of and getting a rise out of others. So im not sure what you're trying to prove with this idea...

If they vehemently disagree with you (after saying something as well thought as 'all priests are pedos'), its probably just another attempt to get a rise out of you. Because, while you didn't take the first bait as expected, it drew your attention very well.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-12-08 at 08:50 PM.

Monsters will be in every demographic, its not like members of the clergy, or any religion, are made up of Angels or pure beings. They abuse positions of power, they could have been anyone really. A teacher, coach, camp director...they just chose priesthood.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalador View Post
    I do see your point and logic, but priests were once put on a pedestal of moral and virtue and had their profession put under fire by these scandals. I think that's were the joke/irony lays. I remember in school guys being paranoid of gays because "they might want to fuck me". Homosexual men aren't attracted to every male with a penis. If that was the logic then straight men shouldn't be around young women. By what you said Priest + Homosexual= Pedophile, so Homosexual + Pedophile=Priest? No.

I don't think it's a double standard. And would that come up in wow anyway? You say it comes up when people say "all the priests are out molesting boys and that's why there are none in the bgs". How would that come up for gays? There's no "gay" class. So you couldn't say "all the gays are out molesting boys, that's why there are non in the bgs".

---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 02:35 PM ----------

I guess we should never be surprised at what a woman does. ZING.
    He doesn't draw that conclusion. He just jumps to "Why can't we just call every guy gay a pedophile?"

Deleted
    What the fuck did I just read...

But the fact that nearly all the priests in question molested little boys, and were homosexuals most likely isn't mocked nearly as much.
    Pedophiles ain't homosexual, their sexual orientation is children not other men, so saying they are homosexual is not at all accurate. Saying all priests are pedophiles ain't correct either of course. But just because they molested little boys doesn't make them homosexual, I'm sure they would molest little girls to given the chance.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I think celibacy drives the priests insane and they take what they can get :/

It's a joke. That's the whole gist of it. It works off something we know of (i.e. the priest paedophilia scandals + the irony of religious people being supposedly morally superior). Furthermore, being gay is more or less a pre-requisite of molesting boys. Thus, it's never mentioned in the press and subsequently people tend to ignore that particular fact.

The point is: it's a joke. If anybody says, in all seriousness, that all priests are homosexual child molesters, then that's an entirely different thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just going to say, this thread probably won't end well, 99% chance it will be locked.

But, on topic. There are pedophiles out there that molest female children as well, why not just say all men are pedophiles, gay or straight?

Why not? Because that's an idiotic thing to say.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    He doesn't draw that conclusion. He just jumps to "Why can't we just call every guy gay a pedophile?"
    He kind of does saying "Can't one just as easily joke that gay men shouldn't be trusted around little boys..". That kind of goes with people thinking gay guys want all men.

15+ Year Old Account
    Topics directly involving the church and/or religion are not allowed.

Deleted
    Yeah.. As said above, threads like this don't really go well for long, so gonna lock it before it gets out of hand.