Thread: old norse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    mmmm ok if theres no "the" in old norse,,

what would you advise to use. to say

"The" Harii

EDIT.. for Fafhogg

So id just say. Harii and leave out any word for "the"?

edit again.

read you wrong. you said to change the end (Harii) but its the harii which Ill be talking about.. they were a Germanic tribe, called the Harii..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harii
    Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2011-12-08 at 10:13 PM.

Either just Harii or Hariir depends what the word is for. If its a name it changes its ending depending on setting.

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    I have never ever heard the word before.

- Norwegian
    I'm pretty sure it's East-way or something (Think Aust-Agder). The old name for Norway was Nordvegr or something along those parts which of course means the North way.
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that I tihnk about it, I know a guy that studies Old Norse at uni, I'll try to get a hold of him.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone has been very helpful,

ill just use "Harii" on its own

edit,

Calzaeth if you have time to ask him that would be great, but if you cant get him, ill just use Harii for now till i look some more for an answer

thanks again everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    Nordic languages don't use the the english do. Let me give you an example in norwegian:

a boat -- en båt

the boat -- båten
    that boat -- den båten
    this boat -- denne båten

I have literally no knowledge of how the Old Norse language is but I do think its similar, someone that knows icelandic could probably clarify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Hitz From Dah Boing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skoging View Post
    Nordic languages don't use the the english do. Let me give you an example in norwegian:

a boat -- en båt

the boat -- båten
    that boat -- den båten
    this boat -- denne båten

I have literally no knowledge of how the Old Norse language is but I do think its similar, someone that knows icelandic could probably clarify.
    If the current norwegian grammar is Ragefire Chasm, then Old Norse is Firelands HC pre-nerf :P That much I know, at least.

By the way, OP. Can you just type out the sentence you want to mention the Harii in, in english?
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekhetyo View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's East-way or something (Think Aust-Agder). The old name for Norway was Nordvegr or something along those parts which of course means the North way.
    Yeah i remember now, Aust = East
    Norwegian = Øst
    Swedish = öst
    Danish = Øst
    Icelandic = Austur

The word: Austmandr comes to mind which meanes ''man from east''. When i read the Icelandic tale of ''Gunnlaug Ormstunge'' (Gunnlaug Wormtongue), Austmandr was used as a word for a Norwegian. The tale of Gunnlaug Wormtongue was written around 1250, and the events transpired around 1000, in the years after Iceland became christian.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

I'm a little late to the Old Norse party. I actually studied this one in college, and yes I'm American.

Old Norse does have a word for "the," but it is not used in the same way that English uses it. For all intents and purposes, just treat it as if it doesn't exist.

the old Norse/ Norrønt died out of at the time of plague, most that should write died and the language we have now is more combined with old Norse words and new twist,
    actually English is full of Norse words like "Fjords" "ski" etc.

Iceland has the old Norwegian language since it was most Norwegian that immigrated at old days. now Norway combined language from Danmark since of Union with them, but we have still some old Norse word.

Sweden got their language from some trading ships French ships and traders. thats why its more smoothly like French. but still Norwegian understand Swedish and Danish since most similarity but Sweden and Denmark has some difficult understanding eachothers.

And when someone said "change the ending," they mean it would need a grammatical suffix that depends on the context of the word. The word will look different depending on if you're talking about the Harii as a the subject of the sentence, the object of an action, "to the Harii," "of the Harii," and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    By the way, OP. Can you just type out the sentence you want to mention the Harii in, in english?
    Yeah that would be alot more helpfull, hard to help you with just 2 words "the" and "harii" :P

I dont know all to much about old norse myself, I can read it just fine. But I dont necesarily understand it, and know how to translate to and from.

Going to help as best I can anyway, if you can give us a full sentence you want transalted :P

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    In good ol' english:

One other example of non-subject sentences in old Norse, is where it is unknown who performs the action, or it can not be an active performer. When we say "det regner (it rains)", who is "det (it)" ? In old Norse they skipped "det(it/the and similar)" and could say for instance: "rignir", "haustar","myrkvar".

I hope I translated that one right :S
    10/10 translation
    I also think this would be a bit unrelated, as op is looking for a translation of "the", and what i quoted was "it"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    10/10 translation
    I also think this would be a bit unrelated, as op is looking for a translation of "the", and what i quoted was "it"
    Thing is, "det" can be translated to both "the" and "it" :P Several meanings rolled into one word^^

Deleted
    ohh lots more helpful replies :P many thanks,

well its for a title for a paper I'm helping a friend with, which he just wanted to title it, The Harii

but as some have said "the" isn't used like we use it.. so from the information, I think its best to just call it,
    "Harii"

Many thanks to all who replied, some very useful info. really appreciate the help
    Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2011-12-08 at 10:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    If the current norwegian grammar is Ragefire Chasm, then Old Norse is Firelands HC pre-nerf :P That much I know, at least.

Your comparison is probably very accurate Though my point wasn't that modern norwegian grammar could be used in his example. I was merely trying to explain how modern nordic languages don't have the word the. And I believe that's the case for Norse aswell.
    Last edited by skoging; 2011-12-08 at 10:44 PM. Reason: addedd quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Hitz From Dah Boing

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, just go with Harii for now. I've written down your name though, because you've triggered my curiosity. I'll ask my friend, and PM you the answer when I have it =P

a boat -- en båt

the boat -- båten
    that boat -- den båten
    this boat -- denne båten

As a college professor who studies ancient languages like Old Norse, I felt compelled to post here. The definite article is very similar in Old Norse as it is in Norwegian: it's a suffix, whose shape depends on the gender of the noun and whether or not the stem ends in a consonant:

The masculine suffix is -inn (consonant-final), -nn (vowel-final)
    Example: úlfr 'wolf' + -inn --> úlfrinn 'the wolf'

The feminine suffix is -in (C-final), -n (V-final)
    Example: kona 'woman' + -n --> konan 'the woman'

The neuter suffix is in -it (C-final), -t (V-final)
    Example: auga 'eye' + -t --> augat 'the eye'

So to figure out what suffix you need, just figure out the gender and whether or not it has a vowel final stem.

Deleted
    cool. Thanks Calzaeth, and thanks all

Your comparison is probably very accurate Though my point wasn't that modern norwegian grammar could be used in his example. I was merely trying to explain how modern nordic languages don't have the word the. And I believe that's the case for Norse aswell.
    what about det/den/dess, we use that in similiar ways to how you use the... maybe that would be a more apprioprioate translation though when i think about it.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...